3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

train horn question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:54 PM
mr_blove
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default train horn question

I would like to entertain the idea of a train/air horn on my truck but before I do I need a question answered. For those of you that have a quad-cab where do you put the compressor and tank?

Old 04-04-2011, 10:09 PM
RedneckDodge86
Professional

Depends those horns come with 2-10 gallon compressors. If u get the 2 gallons u could mount if on ur passenger side under on the frame so its close to the horn. The 10 gallons is obviously gonna have to go under back by the bed of the truck. They are pretty much bolt wherever u can mount it.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:45 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

ive got pics of mine in my sig link but my tank and compressor are under my radiator on a custom bracket

Old 04-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Ramman137

I have the tank, compressor, and electrical components in a bed mounted tool box. Under the bed is a good idea if your truck is lifted or you completely water proof the system. Had a buddy mount his compressor under the bed and it shorted out. I will post pics tonight of my system.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:03 AM
scooper

I bought a kit on ebay, but I can't get the link to work.

I had my mechanic do the install. I am useless when it comes to that stuff.

The comp is a Kleinn and it is sealed. He mounted it on top of the frame rail right behind the a/c fan. The tank is only a 1 gal., and fit under the frame behind the front bumper.

Trumpets are under drivers side mounted to the frame rail. 2 on outside, 1 on inside.

It's a small tank and comp. It is plenty loud for what I need. I'm sure it has soiled quite a few pair of underwear! I get about 5 seconds total blast time. In the city I live in, that's plenty. Especially since my business name and phone number are all over my truck.

I can take and post pics if you want.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:47 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Kid down the street from my mother's house got one about two months ago in his '07 Ram 4x2. His parents paid some car stereo booth guy at the local flea market for it. Haven't gotten a good look at it as to what brand components, but the kid (I say kid, but he's like 22, live at home, no work, 1 part time college class a semester bum) was bragging his mom paid like $600 for it installed.
The whole setup is behind the front bumper, just under the radiator level.

BTW, baggadueche got nailed about 4 days after he got it with Florida statute 316.271(2) violation and mommy got to pay his $465 fine.

Y'all be careful where you blow them things!!!

Old 06-02-2011, 12:17 PM
LazyLightning
Professional

The single reason i want to get one: these punk kids walkin down the middle of the street. They give a glance over their shoulder & dont budge. I wouldnt of pulled that ****. This'id maybe be a little wake up. lol

Old 06-02-2011, 06:50 PM
scooper

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
BTW, baggadueche got nailed about 4 days after he got it with Florida statute 316.271(2) violation and mommy got to pay his $465 fine.

Y'all be careful where you blow them things!!!
I try to be responsible when I use it. I can't be too obnoxious in a well marked business truck. But there are times when I just have to let 'er go!

I don't think mine can be heard very far. It is definitely not the real deal. It has one solenoid to blow 3 horns, 1/4" OD tubing, and the air line splits off of each horn down the line to the next.

It was listed as 150 db. If may be, but doubt that it is. It get the job done at close range, though.

Originally Posted by LazyLightning
The single reason i want to get one: these punk kids walkin down the middle of the street. They give a glance over their shoulder & dont budge. I wouldnt of pulled that ****. This'id maybe be a little wake up. lol
I'd hit them up with it, but a quick google of my business name brings up my address. Not good. I save it for the real idiot drivers out there. My list, in no particular order:

Stop Sign runners. Especially those who think the right of way belongs to whoever coasts through a 4 way first.

Idiots who don't have a clue what U-Turn Yield means.

Texting drivers. The ones who are looking down more than paying attention. When they start to drift into my lane, they get the horn.

I am thinking about adding a rear facing horn too. It sucks to be sitting at a red light and seeing the a-hole behind you not stopping because he/she is texting. They need a good wake up blast.

One of my favorites was a jogger trotting towards oncoming traffic on a 2 lane double yellow line road, jogging on the white line and waving some kind of pointer towards traffic, forcing them to swerve over the double yellow to miss him.

Once I figured out what he was doing I wanted no part of that. I got about 30' from him and let 'er go. He jumped, spun, and did some sorta ninja/spaz thing with his arms, giving me all kinds of gestures. I think he got the point!

Old 06-03-2011, 09:45 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

i used mine yesterday on the expressway. Had an idiot coming off an off ramp already speeding and tried to come all the way over to the inside lane and never looked.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:49 PM
scooper

There are times when you just HAVE to.

Quick Reply: train horn question