3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

150k maintenance/Purchase advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 03:58 PM
zipfel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 150k maintenance/Purchase advice

Hey everyone! I am new and am currently in negotiations to purchase a black 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 sport with 145,000 KM on it ( 90,000 miles ) for $16,500 CDN from a private listing. The add states it has been lady driven, non smoker, seat covers and seems to be in really good shape. New tires and new brakes ( pads and rotors ). Attached a photo!

I am curious if you guys think this is a good deal or not? What kind of maintenance I am walking into here? I want to make sure I do everything I can to upkeep my, potentially, new truck.

Attached Thumbnails 150k maintenance/Purchase advice-p3030015.jpg  
Old 04-11-2011, 01:31 AM
zipfel

Anyone????

Old 04-11-2011, 10:48 AM
mcclipse

could be a little bit cheaper because of the mileage but the 4x4 is a nice option if you need it.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:49 AM
mcclipse

the sport package looks way better to me than the SLT chrome

Old 04-11-2011, 01:44 PM
zipfel

yea i agree the color matching bumper looks great.

Does anyone have any advice or tips on the maintenance of this truck? Like a checklist of items I need to check out, especially at 150,000 KM ?

Old 04-11-2011, 03:37 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well there are a lot of things you could do once you got it that would be recommended maintenance.
Here is a quick list:
-change engine oil
-drain, flush, and refill coolant
-do a pan drop and filter change on the tranny
-change the air filter
-change the pcv valve
-change the front and rear diff. fluids
-replace the spark plugs
-change the transfer case lubricant

Old 04-11-2011, 06:07 PM
zipfel

Thanks Chambers, I will have to research on how to do most of those things. I am still a newbie but I am very interested in learning.

I have plans to give this truck a 6" lift and put some fat tires on there, anyone recommend any brands? and I am also planning on mounting a tablet PC and receiver where my receiver and environment controls are, and seeing if i can route my enviro controls else where like the center console maybe. I have seen a few guides but none particular to the 06 dodge ram 1500. I can then install a bluetooth odb-ii dongle that can speak to my tablet and i will have a direct interface to my engines ECU. Which, coming from a technical background (IBM Network Analyst) excites me.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:14 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

LOT of miles for an '06, PAY ACCORDINGLY.

I would probably spend the $75 on a compression test BEFORE signing on the bottom line with any vehicle up over about 120k miles. If the owner/dealer balks, threaten to walk.

Passing a compression test would indicate the engine is still in very good condition and any other thing to fail (except the transmission) will not put you in the poor house to fix.

Might cost you some $, but paying about $75 for a compression test and being able to walk is cheaper than buying it and having to do an engine rebuild or an engine swap.

Assuming you do buy it, then I'd do a FULL tune-up, including all fluids and the radiator. I wouldn't trust when the previous owner said what was done or what was used...

Old 04-11-2011, 08:09 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Compression test is a good idea, but just to clarify it's at 145k km which according to the OP is about 90k miles. I think he's in Canada so the price will also be different from what we usually see.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:00 PM
zipfel

I am a Canadian, yes.

so I inquired about a pressure test at a local mechanic shop and said they aren't done as much any more and that my best bet would be prepurchase inspection for $160 CDN. Then I would have to get another inspection as I have to register it in another province..... ugh CDN laws :/

Quick Reply: 150k maintenance/Purchase advice