3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

E85 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 10:14 PM
Matt99
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its all I run

Old 04-19-2011, 12:19 PM
KSutherland
Amateur

this is from a study I found on a E85 site

"1.From a part number context ~87.50 % of these vehicles appear to be, or are FULLY compatible with Ethanol.

a)That being said, of ~192,000,000 light and medium duty vehicles on the road today ~164,160,000 vehicles could be Flex Fuel converted/retrofitted with little or NO modifications in some cases."

I think what they they are saying, the engine and fuel system components are already built to handle E85 , just need the correct programmed tune.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:01 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

From what I have read on it, there was a govt. mandate that starting with 2007 vehicles they had to be built to certain tolerances for E10, but the tolerances would internally allow for E85. Some companies put these into effect as early as 2004.

This I believe is why when you go to the EPA site on Ethanol, you see most of the statistics and almost everything they mention refers to 2007.

That said, I try to go to 100% gas stations whenever I can. When I'm in Florida (about half the year, on and off) I have 2 stations within 5 miles of me that offer 100% (ethanol free) gas, and usually at 2-5 cents cheaper than the E10 stations. While in Georgia I have an issue though as I've not found one closer than 38 miles from me, which really kinda ticks me off, as EVERY damn station that has diesel offers "off-road" diesel, but no ethanol free gas.

I find I get about 2 more MPGs in both the truck and Jeep when running pure gas...

Old 04-19-2011, 08:55 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree Hammer, I drive to the next county to get 100% gas. E85 is a poor attempt at an alternate fuel. It is corrosive, inefficient and just drives up the price of corn even more, which in turn, drives up the prices of everything from food to diapers. E85 needs to go.

The loss in mpg does not make up for the cheaper price of the crap. Yes it has high octane, but anything over 89 for a stock tune is a waste and over 93 is a waste with a tune. Maybe if force inducted or 11.0:1 compression or more it might be OK.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:32 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
That said, I try to go to 100% gas stations whenever I can. When I'm in Florida (about half the year, on and off) I have 2 stations within 5 miles of me that offer 100% (ethanol free) gas, and usually at 2-5 cents cheaper than the E10 stations. While in Georgia I have an issue though as I've not found one closer than 38 miles from me, which really kinda ticks me off, as EVERY damn station that has diesel offers "off-road" diesel, but no ethanol free gas.

I find I get about 2 more MPGs in both the truck and Jeep when running pure gas...
I didn't know there was anywhere that still sold 100% gas. I'm going to have to check into that...

**edit**
So I checked it out, and there's nowhere within hundreds of miles of here that sells pure gasoline. In fact, none of Texas' large cities do. Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, none of them. WTF

Last edited by Brandon Anderson; 04-20-2011 at 02:38 AM. Reason: content
Old 04-20-2011, 08:21 AM
hockeytown

I used it in my 08 4.7 Flex and I got 9 mpg and I had to put gas in every other day I swithced back after about a week and a half of that garbage. Right now here in michigan, E85 is $3.19 and 87 octane is $3.98 per gal. Looks pretty tempting but it is not in the long run.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:54 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon Anderson
I didn't know there was anywhere that still sold 100% gas. I'm going to have to check into that...

**edit**
So I checked it out, and there's nowhere within hundreds of miles of here that sells pure gasoline. In fact, none of Texas' large cities do. Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, none of them. WTF

I wish they'd fix the damn search feature already!!! I had a link to a website that lists ALL the stations in the country selling pure (100%) gas.

Looks like you found it or something similar though. But yeah, the national chains don't, you gotta find an independent for it, which is why I'm shocked that I can't find it closer to where I am when I'm in Georgia. VERY rural and most gas stations are small independents but it's still almost 40 miles...

Old 04-21-2011, 01:42 PM
KSutherland
Amateur

I found that website it is : http://pure-gas.org

Quick Reply: E85 Questions