3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

shocks question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 10:22 PM
jose13b
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shocks question

whats the best shocks to use I dont have a lift but running 33's
I was thinking of rancho shock's

Old 04-19-2011, 11:11 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Rancho is ok. I had them on my 01 F150 I had. I now run the Bilsteins on my Ram.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:20 PM
hockeytown

I just put Bilstein 5100 leveling shocks on mine and I LOVE them!

Old 04-20-2011, 12:58 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

As long as you're willing to spend nearly double the admission fee of the Procomp, Monroe or Ranchos; then the majority consensus is that the Bilstein 5100 can't be beat.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:34 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I know the consensus is that Bilsteins are the best, probably followed by Rancho. I have had one set of Bilstein shocks in my life, on a Furd 4x4 that I primarily used to tow my bass boat to tournaments with and for hunting.

Blew a shock while hog hunting, no hard core off-roading, but just riding off-road to get to where I wanted to be. About 8 month old shock with maybe 6,000 miles on it. I figure "no big deal", I've blown a shock before, plus any manufacturer can have an odd shock come off the line with a so-so seal or whatever.

Dealer who sold it to me refused warranty because I installed it myself and it wasn't "professionally" installed. That kinda ticked me off, so I contacted Bilstein myself, receipt copied and everything. I figured "no problem" Bilstein would ship me a new shock, no question.
I get a response from Bilstein, that they wanted me to ship them the shock for evaluation and they said that there shocks were not guaranteed for off-road or towing use! I'm like WTF? A truck shock, marketed heavily in EVERY off-road magazine and it's NOT warranted for off-road or towing???

I said f*ck them, yanked the other three off, tossed all four in the trash and put a set of Ranchos on. That was in the early '90s and I won't do Bilstein ever again. Not because of the product, but because of **** poor customer service...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 04-20-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:48 AM
abarmby
Champion

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I know the consensus is that Bilsteins are the best, probably followed by Rancho. I have had one set of Bilstein shocks in my life, on a Furd 4x4 that I primarily used to tow my bass boat to tournaments with and for hunting.

Blew a shock while hog hunting, no hard core off-roading, but just riding off-road to get to where I wanted to be. About 8 month old shock with maybe 6,000 miles on it. I figure "no big deal", I've blown a shock before, plus any manufacturer can have an odd shock come off the line with a so-so seal or whatever.

Dealer who sold it to me refused warranty because I installed it myself and it wasn't "professionally" installed. That kinda ticked me off, so I contacted Bilstein myself, receipt copied and everything. I figured "no problem" Bilstein would ship me a new shock, no question.
I get a response from Bilstein, that they wanted me to ship them the shock for evaluation and they said that there shocks were not guaranteed for off-road or towing use! I'm like WTF? A truck shock, marketed heavily in EVERY off-road magazine and it's NOT warranted for off-road or towing???

I said f*ck them, yanked the other three off, tossed all four in the trash and put a set of Ranchos on. That was in the early '90s and I won't do Bilstein ever again. Not because of the product, but because of **** poor customer service...
I'm with you on this Hammer.
I will give a manufacturer every reasonable chance to make things right and not try to be aggressive or as we say here in the UK......"arsey".
But, if they don't help.....they're outta' there and no matter what.....I will not buy anything from them again. Even though sometimes it might be cutting my nose off to spite my face lol.
You can't beat consumer power
Al.

Last edited by abarmby; 04-20-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Matt99
Champion

I had bilstiens on my ford. A little rough for me. I put monroes on my truck after my last lift, and now ranchos. So much better than stock or monroes. But at $90ish each somewhat pricy

Old 04-20-2011, 10:20 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Old 04-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Marklorenzo
Veteran

Just ordered some blistein 5100's. I am curious to see how much of a difference it makes from stock shocks at 95,000 miles....lol. I will follow up after install next week and let you know how they turned out.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:26 PM
hockeytown

My truck only has 29000 miles and the front shocks were shot and it turned the hole oval in the upper shock mount so I would hear a knocking noise when I would go over bumps because the shock shaft would rattle in the upper shock mount.

Quick Reply: shocks question