3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Bedliner Rocker Panels

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 11:10 PM
BrianD215
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bedliner Rocker Panels

I managed to put an ugly dent in the passenger side door down in the rocker panel area. So it seems like it's time to do the rocker panel project I've been thinking about. I've been looking at the different brands of roll on bed liner material out there. Has anyone used the Rustoleum brand? It's less expensive than the Herculiner and others. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how it went and what kind of results they got. Any info or recommendations will be appreciated. I want to know all I can before I start rolling that stuff on.

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2011, 01:11 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

I wouldn't recommend rolling anything onto your rocker panels. Roll-on or low pressure spray-on isn't going to last very long down there. If it were me, I would get the high pressure bedliner sprayed on, including the bumpers (for a more uniform look). Shouldn't cost any more than having it sprayed into the bed, because, while there is more prep, they will use less material. I've seen it done on a Grand Cherokee, and it looked just fantastic, and should last for years.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:00 AM
bgbluram2
All Star

The Material is cheap, it is the prep work that costs money.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Marklorenzo
Veteran

I knew a guy around where I lived that had all of his bumpers and rockers Line X'ed. Turned out great. He has had it for 5 years, looks brand new and not a chip. Not sure on price, but I just have a gut feeling that over the counter products might fade over time, and could chip.

http://www.linex.com/pages/2010/bedl...cking_ball.php

Old 04-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Matt99
Champion

You know, Im usually against this stuff but I say plastidip it.

The rustoleum, herculiner, and duplicolor brand bed coatings are not thick at all and will try and fade on you after a bit. If I were to do the rockers I would get them line-x.

But might as well try $20 worth of plastidip. It peels off if you dont like it!

Old 04-20-2011, 08:14 PM
Marklorenzo
Veteran

What kind of dent is it? Did it crack the paint and is it too deep to pop out? Would it need filler...PICS!!!

Old 04-21-2011, 12:49 AM
BrianD215
Professional

Originally Posted by Marklorenzo
What kind of dent is it? Did it crack the paint and is it too deep to pop out? Would it need filler...PICS!!!
Well, the dent was a mess. It was definitely showing some bare metal. And it was all crumply and full of irregular creases. It was crunched. I opened the door up from the inside and tapped it out as well as I could and then I got some primer on it to protect it. It is definitely going to need some bondo work. I have never done bondo before so I imagine I will probably suck at it. I figure bed liner material should hide some of the imperfections in my amateur body work.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:59 AM
Matt99
Champion

I did it on my little fiberglass boat the other day and it wasnt that hard honestly. Just a little sanding. Look up a video on youtube

Old 04-21-2011, 09:24 PM
BrianD215
Professional

Well, Matt, now you really have me considering this Plastidip idea. I have never worked with the stuff. It seems like it would be really easy to do. It would probably take me quite a few cans of the stuff. Do you think it would hold up? It wouldn't scrape off?

I suppose the other bright side of Plastidip would be that I could touch it up fairly easily.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:05 PM
Matt99
Champion

Ohh i meant bondo on the boat but the plasti dip would be good on the rockers I think due to the ease and how it is removeable

Quick Reply: Bedliner Rocker Panels