3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Ratio of Window to Third Brake Light leakage

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 12:33 AM
Ripperace
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ratio of Window to Third Brake Light leakage

OK people. It's been raining like Monsoon season in my area, and I've noticed that I've got water coming in the rear cab panel. Well, I read the "Common Problems" thread and seen that this is a common issue for these trucks, and that the factory had a TSB about rear window leakage. I was just wondering what number of you have run across this issue, and how many had the window actually leak versus the third brake light leak? I'm going to pull the third brake light tomorrow and reseal it anyway. Just wondering if I should maybe keep the glass guy on speed dial too.

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2011, 08:26 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Mine has gone thru hurricanes in Florida and a stalled out tropica storm in Georgia that dumped 22" of rain in four days and has never leaked a drop. By some minor miracle, my cab lights that I drilled the roof and installed myself have gone thru same and not leaked - YET!

But it IS a common problem that has plagued Ram trucks since at least the 2nd Gens and I read about guys with 4th Gens having the issue almost daily.

How the f*ck hard can it be to find a proper procedure for installing the damn window/3rd brake light seal in almost 20 years???

Old 04-20-2011, 09:00 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My brake light had a small leak. I removed it, added a bead if clear windshield sealer, let it cure, then reinstalled the assembly. Hasn't leaked since and it should easily remove for future bulb changes since I didn't bond it to the truck.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:16 AM
Esco

I've never had a problem and I've owned mine for eight years.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Matt99
Champion

some RTV around the 3rd brake light fixed the problem for me. Mine was leaking so bad that the underseat storage would almost fill up

Old 04-20-2011, 10:12 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I had the issue once after taking my OEM 3rd light down and replacing it with an after market. I ended up not having it tight enough and after tightening it a bit more I never had any more issues.

Some guys need more extreme resolutions like the silicon fix though

Old 04-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Ripperace

I ended up pulling the third brake light and running some silicone under the foam seal, and reinstalling it. I still had a couple drops come in afterward, but from the looks of things, I think this is where the problem is. What it appears to me is that the lip or flange on the light that seals against the foam gasket is higher in the middle of the light than on the ends. I can see that the foam was sealed up against the body, but it appears to me that in the center of the light, it wasn't too tight. The light bar itself isn't warped by any means. I do think they curved the flange too much trying to match the contour of the roof. The foam gasket WAS soaked all the way through, even where you'd think the flange would have squeezed down on the gasket enough to prevent this.

Ripper

Old 04-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Razorhawg
Veteran

ive got very minor leaking around the passenger corner of my back glass just enough to notice if youre looking for it but one that is bugging me is on my driver door there is a little crease on the door that doesnt seal very well with the weatherstripping theres a crease on the passenger door also but it doesnt leak

ive been through my share of hurricanes but this rain here in northwest arkansas is something else weve had 10" already and the local weather just said another 4"-7" is possible but its weird theres no wind really just super heavy rain, hail, and tons of lightning (im talking constant lightning) for 5 days straight now

Last edited by Razorhawg; 04-25-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:13 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Gen II had the problem BAD (rear storage bins overflowing when I bought it). I just silicon-ed it in place and took a hair dryer and some sunshine to the carpet. My Gen III has been fine, even after the LED CHMSL install.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Powerubi Wacon
Veteran

My 2005, leaked through the third brake light, I am guessing, last winter for the first time.

Quick Reply: Ratio of Window to Third Brake Light leakage