3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

cone filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 07:45 PM
citori13
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cone filter

I'm going to be making a homemade intake here in a couple weeks and im in process of finding a cone filter for it. I found this one from spectre that has a pretty good price and was wondering if anyone has it or knows if it a decent one. Thanks for any help

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-9736/

Old 04-22-2011, 07:51 PM
BigHorn777
Professional

Yes, I have this same filter and so do many others. They are a great filter, Just do a search for CAI (cold air intakes) and you find tons of info on them on the forum. If you have a ORileys auto near by they sell the same filter.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:57 PM
citori13
Professional

Originally Posted by BigHorn777
Yes, I have this same filter and so do many others. They are a great filter, Just do a search for CAI (cold air intakes) and you find tons of info on them on the forum. If you have a ORileys auto near by they sell the same filter.

Thanks! yeah i do have one nearby, but i think they were a little more expensive there and I also have a gift certificate to summit is why im looking there

Old 04-22-2011, 09:01 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I always use a K&N when I make one for someone. Pyro had a Spectre that came with his ebay CAI that basically fell apart on him from just road vibrations in no time (the CAI, not the filter.

I wasn't really happy with the quality of it myself, I think they let in good airflow, but we played around with it a little bit and found (by accident really) that a lot of the white residue from my cutting PVC could pass thru the filter. The K&N we bought stopped ALL of the same residue while flowing just as well, if not better. S&B oiled filters are also getting great reviews.

There has been some really good technology in dry filters here in recent years. If I didn't already own K&Ns in my vehicles, I'd probably try an Amsoil or AEM Dry Flow which seem to flow just as well as the premium oiled filters without the hassle of re-oiling, which if you do wrong, can cause issues...

Old 04-22-2011, 11:05 PM
citori13
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I always use a K&N when I make one for someone. Pyro had a Spectre that came with his ebay CAI that basically fell apart on him from just road vibrations in no time (the CAI, not the filter.

I wasn't really happy with the quality of it myself, I think they let in good airflow, but we played around with it a little bit and found (by accident really) that a lot of the white residue from my cutting PVC could pass thru the filter. The K&N we bought stopped ALL of the same residue while flowing just as well, if not better. S&B oiled filters are also getting great reviews.

There has been some really good technology in dry filters here in recent years. If I didn't already own K&Ns in my vehicles, I'd probably try an Amsoil or AEM Dry Flow which seem to flow just as well as the premium oiled filters without the hassle of re-oiling, which if you do wrong, can cause issues...

thanks hammer, which AEM would you suggest? Summit seems to have a variety of universal ones of different sizes.
heres a link to where i was looking at them:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Department/Air-Fuel-Delivery/Section/Air-Filter-Elements-Wraps/Part-Type/Air-Filter-Elements/Universal/Yes/Air-Filter-Style/Conical/Brand/AEM-Induction/?Ns=Rank|Asc

So with those you don't have to oil them at all?

thanks for the help i'm open to any suggestions and advice as i am new to this

Old 04-23-2011, 02:07 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

The only thing you really have to worry about when ordering the cone filter is making sure the fitting size is the size of the tube at the end of the CAI. So, until you have the CAI, make it or at least know the tubing size, can't help you there. Only real other issue is getting one you know will fit in the space you plan to put it.

All dozen or so CAIs I've made for people, I've used 3" PVC and got the K&N with a matching 3" OD opening. My local advance stocks 1 in 3" internal diameter and everytime I go get one, they have a replacement on the shelf 1-2 days later.

Used to was, premium dry filters flowed well, but didn't filter near as well as a properly oiled, oil type filter, but like I said, a lot of new technology in the better dry ones. Just easier to maintain. If you don't clean/oil an oil type right and leave dry spots, next to no filtering gets done there. With the dry type, you basically vacuum them or hit them with compressed air and your done.

The Specre filters are available all over the place, come with a nice set of "one fits all" adapters and are really inexpensive. But just based on what I have seen, I'd be running a pre-filter over it if I had one...

Old 04-23-2011, 02:21 PM
citori13
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
The only thing you really have to worry about when ordering the cone filter is making sure the fitting size is the size of the tube at the end of the CAI. So, until you have the CAI, make it or at least know the tubing size, can't help you there. Only real other issue is getting one you know will fit in the space you plan to put it.

All dozen or so CAIs I've made for people, I've used 3" PVC and got the K&N with a matching 3" OD opening. My local advance stocks 1 in 3" internal diameter and everytime I go get one, they have a replacement on the shelf 1-2 days later.

Used to was, premium dry filters flowed well, but didn't filter near as well as a properly oiled, oil type filter, but like I said, a lot of new technology in the better dry ones. Just easier to maintain. If you don't clean/oil an oil type right and leave dry spots, next to no filtering gets done there. With the dry type, you basically vacuum them or hit them with compressed air and your done.

The Specre filters are available all over the place, come with a nice set of "one fits all" adapters and are really inexpensive. But just based on what I have seen, I'd be running a pre-filter over it if I had one...

I do have a 5.9 so my TB is a little different than on the other homemade ones i've seen so I think mine will end up being a 4" PVC. I'll have to go out and measure again for sure later. So i think i might go with this one

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AIS-21-3059DK/

Or would you suggest downsizing to a 3" like you do and just get like a reducer coupler for it

Old 04-23-2011, 02:34 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Guys have done 4" and say they work fine. I wouldn't go any bigger though, it's just like an exhaust, bigger pipes are sometimes better, but at a point they are too big and reduce flow because the air isn't streamlined and moves slower...

Old 04-23-2011, 03:22 PM
citori13
Professional

thanks for all the help hammer. I will be sure to post up some pics when its done. It wont be for a few weeks though as i am in college and have a couple weeks left of the semester. Then i'll have time to work on it when i'm home

Old 04-23-2011, 05:01 PM
BigHorn777
Professional

I have had the Spectre 4" for over a year now and had no issues with it. My buddy has the same and no issues. I also had a spectre on my 99 dodge ram for 4 years with no issues. Can not see how it would fall apart, the cone is glued to the ring with tons of glue and the mesh/filter is one piece???? But what ever, everybody prefers there own brand. Cheers.

Quick Reply: cone filter