3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Dent Rear Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 11:16 AM
truegent81
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dent Rear Bumper

So I have had this dent in the rear bumper for almost a year now. It was there when I bought it. Due to being in these horrible conditions in Colorado, its has begun to rust a lot quicker. Now I need to get off my butt and hammer this out and fix it. My question is what is the best method to get this dent back out? A piece of wood is not strong enough to fit into the curved groove and withstand a beating. If I could find a piece of metal to fit this curve, that would be amazing!

The next thing is, how do I remove this black plastic piece on the bumper? It looks like it is just held by tabs so I would need to just pull it up. Just making sure before I make it worse.

The last question that I can think of right now is, where is the best place to get paint to match vehicle? I know AZ has some, but it is only the paint pen...

Thanks....how do yall swirl your plate out? Man it was a PITA to sit there with a little eraser block...

Name:  079.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  88.5 KB

Name:  080.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  91.5 KB

Last edited by truegent81; 05-06-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:35 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

They make these wonderful dent repair kits you can get at just about any auto parts store for all of about $25. I've had one I bought at a NAPA on one of those sales where they put all kinds of crap that's sat too long on tables outside and paid $12 for mine. I bet I've had that thing since about 1996 and it even comes in a plastic case with foam cutouts for all the pieces!

I've used it a few times. My ex mangled the the tire fender on my bass boat trailer once when she got a bit too close, I mean bent the summbiotch down into the tire and I removed it and banged it perfect. Other than the fact the spray paint I bought and feathered in was off by a shade or two and my hand wasn't steady enough to make the little silver pinstripe perfect, you'd never know how mangled it was.

Mine is very similar to this one which is on Amazon.com for all of $19.

Obviously, you'll have to remove the bumper and bang it from both sides, as I had to do with the fender, but with the curved pieces you should be able to get it factory new...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 05-06-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:49 AM
truegent81
Captain

hell yeah..thanks. i didn't know they made stuff like that. just that lame pop a dent or whatever that plastic piece is.

i'll check over at napa after work. that would be awesome to pick it up locally.

i was thinking about removing the bumper and just taking it on my porch and working on it. is there a way to rig up the plate and bulbs so that they function enough to not get pulled over by cops...

Old 05-06-2011, 01:15 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

You still in Georgia? I lived in Georgia for 14 years, still got a little piece of huntin/fishin property in south Ga. I have with a couple of buddies.

I know in rural south Ga. I see cars/trucks with plates in the back window all the time, technically they could get nailed, but I guess down yonder they really don't enforce it.

The NAPA I bought my dent kit at was actually on Rt. 280 in Vidalia...

Old 05-07-2011, 12:36 AM
truegent81
Captain

Nah just moved. Lived in North Georgia since 1994. BTW what is this set called? Or a name I can use when going into auto stores?

Old 05-07-2011, 02:41 AM
reefguy89
Captain

i just had a civic hit me and dented it in the same location. I took it to the body shop and got an estimate to fix they where going to replace the bumper. They said the metal is too thick to get it perfect with out bondo. which i didnt want.

Name:  P3220222.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  125.4 KB
Name:  P3220221.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  105.3 KB

Last edited by reefguy89; 05-07-2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Matt99
Champion

the kit hammer mentioned is perfect. At napa it will be considerably more, obviously. It will never get out completely, you will have creases, but it wont be as noticeable.

Your best bet is to strip the old paint, maybe a wire brush on a drill, then a good thick etching primer, get some base (you can find duplicolor at auto shops, but its in 8oz cans and kinda expensive. call your local body shop and ask where they get their paint, and call them. They will be able to mix up a spray can for you.) Then a good clear, the paint house could also mix you up a better clear than duplicolor.

The plastic has little clips holding the whole thing on. There are a ton of them. Just squeeze and push through is what I did. Might as well paint that while its off!

Old 05-08-2011, 12:49 AM
truegent81
Captain

yeah i was gonna say, napa did not have the hammer set in store. in the catalog it was for $195. i'll pass on that, i can order a new bumper from LMC for $249 or so. once i find this hammer set, i think i'll be set. i figured i couldn't get it out completely, but as long as i can hammer it out and get all the rust off, i'll be happy for the time being. and reefguy, go figure, thats the exact spot as mine. sucks...its crazy how one little dent will throw off the feeling about the truck..for me anyway.

i'm gonna check AZ and AAP for this hammer set. maybe even oreilys..

Old 05-08-2011, 07:03 AM
Matt99
Champion

That's why I leave my hitch in....

And I know harbour freight carries a set like that

Old 05-08-2011, 07:08 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I was in my local NAPA here Friday, had to get a Napa Gold filter for a Caravan. A friend of mine bought a used '05 Caravan last October cause she blew the engine in her Hyundai and in conversation she said she hasn't changed the oil since she bought it, 9,000 fricken miles on it just since she bought it, no telling when the previous owner changed it, and I know the shylock street corner used car dealer didn't. I think I know how she blew the Hyundai engine now, LOL.

Anyway, they had the one I bought up in the NAPA in Vidalia on that "side-walk sale" for $12 over a dozen years ago and it was selling for $79.95.

This one is on Amazon.com for $16 + shipping at one location or $24 w/free shipping at another.

I think I've also seen the at Harbor Freight and I know the hardware place at my local flea market has them for around $15-20...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 05-08-2011 at 07:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Dent Rear Bumper