3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Pull a Box rail dent?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 05:18 PM
freestyledude
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull a Box rail dent?

Long story short, the trail to the campsite was a lot worse than last year, and it was some pretty extreme 4x4ing to get home with a 24' gooseneck trailer. Didn't get stuck, but I did tag the top of the box rail on the bed when the trailer slipped off the side of the trail Has anyone had something similar? How did you pull the dent? It's not a huge dent but it's pretty ugly, plus it's my Dad's truck not my own (Murphy's law). Before I replace the whole box, does anyone have any ideas to pull/cover the dent? I'll post up some pictures here soon.

I was thinking of welding up a jig to fit under the boxrail, and lift it up with a tractor

Old 05-31-2011, 05:16 PM
freestyledude
Captain

Name:  0522012007.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  80.6 KB

Here's a picture of the dent, might have to drill and use a dent puller if that will work at all. I can't get at the centre of the dent from inside the box. Might have to shop around for a new box

Old 05-31-2011, 06:33 PM
Blacksport
Captain

Nice to see the AB license plates!! You can probably get away with getting the dent out of the box rail somewhat, but methinks you'll have to replace the tailgate .

Try Lunds or Central Truck for a used one here in Edmonton.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:49 PM
dersu

Looks like a few dents there. Sure you only fell off once?
Been there, done worse!

Old 05-31-2011, 06:59 PM
Matt99
Champion

Honestly, I would just look around for a new box. with it being white, there will be plenty of fleet vehicles that get their boxes traded out for a flatbed or utility bed. Either search around craigslist or call companies that you see with white dodges w/o beds

Can you not get to where the dent is? If you could, you could probably get some blocks wrapped in felt and try and work em out from the inside

Old 05-31-2011, 11:11 PM
dnlo613
Rookie

Man not to sound mean but you ain't gettin that out(not w/o a dent puller,some bondo and paint),Thats double layerd.I'm guessing your talking about the left quarter panel? I'd give ya a hand if you were closer,and that T.Gate is fubar...D...

Old 05-31-2011, 11:19 PM
lrnintendo
Amateur

For sure double layered. I have tried on a friends by taking a hole saw and cutting underneath on the curve and opening it up enough to get a body spoon in there with a hammer and for the most part succeeded in getting the top of the box back level but still having a mess for the metal itself. So in turn put on Bushwacker box caps to hide the rest.....

Old 05-31-2011, 11:23 PM
lrnintendo
Amateur

Also if that ends up working, then get 1/8 inch thick 3" wide angle iron, paint it, and put them on top of the bed caps. Future protection.......

Old 06-01-2011, 03:02 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Man you gotta quit phucking up the truck!!

Old 06-01-2011, 06:38 PM
freestyledude
Captain

Lol yeah the tailgate is just getting replaced period. With the cost of replacing the box I think Dad would rather see me put the money into school for the fall.
I think I'll try my best to drill and hammer it out, and then put some 1/4" angle iron on the tops to hide it/strengthen the box rails.

And yes there was more than one dent, one was from a deep rut in the dark, another when the trailer slipped down on the trail. Took 6 tries with the hammer down backing a trailer uphill in the mud. Some decent tires would've payed off big time at this point!

And Weed - Yes. lol. I was lucky that I've off-roaded and pulled a trailer since I was 10, or I never would've gotten out of the OHV park until July

Last edited by freestyledude; 06-01-2011 at 06:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Pull a Box rail dent?