3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Mickey Thompson releases the Baja STZ!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 12:48 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Mickey Thompson releases the Baja STZ!

As most of you know, I've long been a Mickey Thompson/Dick Cepek tire "guy".

Mickey Thompson just released the new Baja STZ to add to the very popular and successful Baja Claw, Baja Claw TTC, Baja ATZ and Baja MTZ tires.

Looks a little bit like the Nitto Terra Grappler/Toyo Open Country A/T to me, doesn't it? Like Mickey Thompson and Dick Cepek who merged in the 1990s, Nitto and Toyo are sister companies as well.

Says something for the design and popularity of the Terra Grappler to me (which was the tire I chose for my lifted Grand Cherokee daily driver).

The Terra Grappler and Open Country A/T:

and all three of them bare a resemblance to another VERY popular tire, the Cooper Zeon LTZ. Cooper is owned by the same parent company that bought Mickey Thompson/Dick Cepek in 2004. Small world, isn't it? LOL...

Cooper LTZ:

Little wonder why all four of these tires get great reviews, they are pretty much clones of each other, with just a slight tread pattern difference and slight difference in the compounds used...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 06-05-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:30 PM
T_Visk
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, if there all the same (to an extent) which one is cheapest?

Old 06-05-2011, 08:04 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I think Big O tires are built by Cooper as well.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:13 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by T_Visk
So, if there all the same (to an extent) which one is cheapest?
Well, cheapest may not always be the way to go, I don't have any specs and it's too new for real world testing, but as a rule, Mickey Thompson uses a higher end compound in their tires (and more of it, resulting in higher blocks) which tend to last longer than comparable tires. I personally know guys with 70 & 80,000 miles on ATZs.

I paid $128 a tire for the 265/65/17s on my Grand Cherokee (wanted ATZs, but $198 a tire just wasn't in the budget) and I'm hoping for 60k miles out of them. So far, with about 13k on them they are just now beginning to show initial wear, so maybe...

Old 04-07-2012, 01:53 AM
Ram_King
Professional

Bringing this one back, im a 2nd gen owner, and im due to get tires. i've been trying to research this tire but just cant find anything on them, i want a decent a/t that when i want to go have a little fun in the mud i can. really considering getting these tires next week, but need some input. message me if you have any other info.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:22 PM
PhillyFireLieutenant
Professional

i am due for some "rubber" very very soon,, i will do some investigating ,,Price wise,,
Name:  megacab-1.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  12.4 KB

Old 04-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Ram_King
Professional

Picked up a set today. They are awesome. Already took 'em through the mud, didn't even have to use 4wd. I'm in love, never going with any other tie than Mickey Thompson, or Dick cepek

Old 04-13-2012, 12:48 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey, Philly

It says you can't get messages, but I want to nominate you for ROTM. Is that cool?

Old 04-13-2012, 10:34 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Well I WAS debating replacing my Cepek FCIIs with very aggressive mud tires but because they are showing almost NO WEAR at 34k I was on the fence. Now that my 4.7 in my daily driver decided to drop a valve, my truck is my daily driver for a while. VERY happy I'm getting the wear I am with my Cepeks!

If your STZs get anywhere near the wear of my FCIIs, you should be very pleased for a LONG TIME. I have a good buddy with Mickey ATZs on his Chevy Z71 with 80k on them and he has NO current plans for replacing them...

Quick Reply: Mickey Thompson releases the Baja STZ!