3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Chaanged the rear Ujoints.... PITA

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 12:51 AM
elks
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chaanged the rear Ujoints.... PITA

So after looking things over and gathering information, I tackled the job of replacing the ujoint on my 2006 Mega Cab 2500. Well the First attempt failed and resulted in a toally mushroomed 11/16socket. Then tried hard to get my little propane torch out and tried melting the factory epoxy out. After a 1/2 hour not much melting. So I then went to a friends house with a press cutting torch etc. After 3 hours we had all 3 replaced.

Pointers.

First of all use a torch to melt out all the epoxy you can... When melted it will shoot out like a big zit.

Unmelted we tested the epoxy strength on the press. The average of the 3 caps we tested was at 2.8 tons.

The other real crappy part of the ordeal was the stock ujoint itself. It had these little ears/tabs on it that prevented us from getting either cap totally pressed out. So then we tried vice grips to twist it and work it out. They were to tight and did not move. So the last step: cut the old ones out with the torch.

The new ones were percision 330 A ujoints. $22 each.

Total cost was around $70 buck and a case of coors light. the quote from local shop was over $200 in labot plus factory ujoints for 114 each.

Glad that crap is over

Old 06-14-2011, 12:12 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

What?!?! No pics?? LOL

Was that a craftsman or snap-on socket you destroyed? I can just visualize you taking it back for a replacement and them looking at it and you.....LMAO

Quick Reply: Chaanged the rear Ujoints.... PITA