3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension
Print Wikipost

6 Inch Suspension Lift

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Calvert
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 Inch Suspension Lift

Ok so the money has been procured and set aside and the shop has the truck. Lift kit is getting ordered by myself tomorrow. I am looking for a 6 inch suspension lift, i priced out Rough Country's lift at about $800 plus around $550 for the labor on the install. As i continue to look they seem to be the most competeive product while also having a stable reputation. If anyone has some sugestions please let me know, however i am on a bit of a budget--about 1400...then i will have 1000 for tires next month. i have a 2003 2 wd 1500 Hemi...also on rough country's add it says that their lift will also level the truck as well? any ideas or do i need to order a coil spacer as well? Thanks alot guys its been a long time of looking at this site and getting ideas but it will finally be happening!!! Of course pics will follow.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Matt99
Champion

The "6in suspension lift" lifts the front 6 and the back probably like 4. That's what gives you the "level"

I'm sure it will ooh good. Do they do a crossmember drop or just spindles and springs?

Old 06-14-2011, 11:03 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

RC has the new lift that has cross member drops with spindles, springs and rear blocks. That is the kit i have on my truck and it is a nice solid kit. No complaints at all. For the 800 it is well worth it. I put my own kit on and suggest if you are mechanically inclined to do the same. Dont forget the alignment afterwards though. Replace any brake pads, tie rods, ball joints and whatever else while you are there and have it apart. The RC kit comes with longer sway bar links already.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:06 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

As far as the "budget" suspension kits go, Rough Country has a pretty solid reputation and I'd recommend it WAY ahead of the Fabtech and Superlift kits that are in the same basic price range.

No level kit is needed (and strongly recommended against) with a suspension lift as almost all lift the front about 2" more than they lift the rear.

If it were me, I'd install the kit myself (and have) and save the $550 (which somehow always seems to be more when you go to pay the shop) and put it into something else. Suspension kits are easier to install than body lifts IMO (and I've done plenty of body lifts), they are basically a remove/replace venture with no fabbing (at least with the better made kits). Standard tools, a jack and a couple of jack stands is about all that you'll need.

I don't think the Rough Country is a TRUE 6" lift, but more like 5" and change, but that's not a big deal, last I researched kits for torsion front, IFS Rams, the only kit that lifted a true 6" without tweaking key bolts was the $2000 Skyjacker. So plan your tires accordingly, I don't believe 37s will go, 35's will fit fine.

DISREGARD MY WHOLE POST (except for the part about the kit also leveling)!!! I JUST TOOK THE TIME TO ACTUALLY READ THAT YOU HAVE A 2WD TRUCK, LOL...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 06-14-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:34 AM
pjordan4477
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71

DISREGARD MY WHOLE POST (except for the part about the kit also leveling)!!! I JUST TOOK THE TIME TO ACTUALLY READ THAT YOU HAVE A 2WD TRUCK, LOL...

Always in a hurry to share your extensive wealth of knowledge...

Old 06-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Calvert
Rookie

thanks guys, i appreciate all of the feedback. as far as tires im not looking to go insane, either 33's or 35's...most likely 35's. im not worried about the price of install i have some funds left over from an insurance matter at a local shop so the install is essentially free for me..im just covering the price of the kit itself. i was going to order the kit from my local 4x4 shop but the guy there was a moron and trying to tell me i could only get a $1500 skyjacker lift for my truck and rough country was crap etc etc...so i laughed and walked out. either way the kit was ordered today, and should be here soon.

looking at the site though it says aftermarket tires are required...is this true or can i ride around on the stock ones for a month untill i get the funds for the tires?

Old 06-14-2011, 02:45 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Here are some pics of my 6" RC lift so you can check them out for yourself. Trust me, they are heavy.

http://cid-fb87bd8396fbfbf4.photos.l...%20%5E5new%5E6

Old 06-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Matt99
Champion

You don't need new tires but sometimes they require new rims or spacers

Quick Reply: 6 Inch Suspension Lift