3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

camshaft questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 01:37 PM
navykid8809
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Hemi Lonestar" i see that you said you have upgraded to SRT-10 interior pars. What website did you get the parts from? I would like to do the same.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:37 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Little here, little there. Ebay mostly. Almost had a complete door set from Cleveland pick-a-part, but they called and sid the panel was messed up and they didn't have one to replace at the time, so they refunded my $$. Ebay and Craigslist are probably the best bet, the "pats houses" tend to be a lot more expensive. I started with the dash bezel, then the window switches and last so far are the door pins.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:59 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

In a quadcab, a 268 is NOT a good choice. 268 is a top end cam, with that cam in your truck, be prepaired to do some more supporting mods (gears, tq converter) to be able to keep your lowend. You would benefit more from a lowend cam. For your truck, find a 210, or 210x, nice big torquey cam, dont need gears or stall to beable to use it

Old 07-09-2011, 07:09 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by luckydt
I'm thinking about going with something like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37gx3sU3V3o
What you will find after looking through cams is most car cams are topend cams, topend cams are great for producing power, however the heavier the vehicle the more you need down low, not up top. In light weight street trucks, RCSB's, mid-top end cams are what you want. Add in some gears and a stall to get you up into the powerband and you are good to go. For a truck that is your size, Lifted QC with big ol' tires on them, you need a lot more to get the same cam to work well in your truck. For that purpose, you need a cam that is a low-mid end torquey cam. You'll still get a nice lope to it and get the power you need down low.

When choosing a cam, be sure to look at where it starts making its power. Throw in a big cam thats doesnt make much power until its above 6500rpm and you are SOL.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:14 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

To add on to this a little more,

Name:  CompCamsComparison.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  52.3 KB

Now looking at that you can see where the engine starts making its power. The 268 on the list there isnt quite right, as the lowend is the same if not a little worse than the stock cam is. After about 3000rpm and up is where it builds its power. For a big truck, you neeed a stall and gears to make up for it (so drop around an extra $2,000) and you might be close to using it.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:31 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by navykid8809
The Charger sounds nice in the video however it is an srt-8. I dont know too much about Dodges though. -( I've always been a Chevy guy... shhhh) lol anyways i looked up the stage 1 cam and it said that no modifications are needed however with the 2nd stage cam, you will need a tuner and all sorts of other stuff.
Actually, it's a R/T with a 5.7L, not a 6.1L SRT-8.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:03 AM
luckydt
Veteran

lucky for me i have a tuner already and most the mods needed to run a stage 2 or the Inertia SRT Max cam. what mods i don't have i will have done in the next couple of months. I have already been e-mailing the companies and looks like i will need a custom grind to get the torque, but still get the lumpy idle.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:31 AM
SLT8
Record Breaker

Nice you getting a custom grind cause your truck would have a very hard time moving out of its own way w/ SRT Max or 268 cam. Notice the lumpy idle you see in videos are mostly in Park. It allows you to drop down the idle considerably without possible stall or sacrificing drive ability due to no load.. Once you put it in D your idle rpm will then increase a few hundred causing to lose a lot of the chop. Nice to have Form but never at the cost of Functionality.

Last edited by SLT8; 07-10-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:36 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by kay9
Nice you getting a custom grind cause your truck would have a very hard time moving out of its own way w/ SRT Max or 268 cam. Notice the lumpy idle you see in videos are mostly in Park. It allows you to drop down the idle considerably without possible stall or sacrificing drive ability due to no load.. Once you put it in D your idle rpm will then increase a few hundred causing to lose a lot of the chop. Nice to have Form but never at the cost of Functionality.
Absolutely agree. I nice lopey idle is great, but if it comes at the cost of getting the truck moving, there is no point in doing it. You HAVE to have a cam that FITS your truck. Plain and simple. I really hope you guys are doing your research on the cams you are looking at based on other trucks that are similar in size and mods to your own and are absolutely NOT just looking for something that sounds good.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:49 PM
navykid8809

So i bought the Superchips Cortex tuner today for my Hemi. Anyone already have it or can tell me any good things about it? I did my research before spending the $379.99 on it and everything i have read and heard so far has all been really good things.

Quick Reply: camshaft questions