3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

mufflers...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 12:37 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Borla XR-1 up to 0:59 I believe, Cutout for the rest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8SRu1sy9Fo

Old 07-14-2011, 10:13 PM
ricer
Veteran

Originally Posted by Brandon Anderson
If you're swapping your muffler, you'll want to take out that "Y" pipe as well, since it's very restrictive. My di/do system cost $215, all inclusive. That's new pipe from the cats all the way to the tips in front of the rear tire, and it's a true dual system since there's an "X" in the muffler. If you don't want super loud, but you want deep, try the 16" maganflow or cherry bomb. Both flow well, and both sound great.
So I take it you went with the Magnaflow from the looks of your sig. I'm not familiar with exhaust systems at all. The times before when I have taken my previous trucks to the muffler shop I just told them to make it loud and with this truck I don't want that. I am definitely looking for that "throatier" sound. I found this muffler on ebay and was wondering if these were a good choice or can I not go wrong with the 16" Magnaflow?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPINT...Q5fAccessories
It's like ron333 said earlier when he talked about the Mustangs with very good sounding exhaust, that is what I am wanting. I also have a 4.7 so I wasn't sure if that would figure into the equasion or not. Thanks so much for your patience, like I said I know nothing about how to get the sound I am looking for, just what the sound sounds like. I am not sure but I believe I have 3" exhaust all the way, it is still the factory exhaust.
Name:  ed8.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  17.2 KB

Old 07-15-2011, 12:17 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by ricer
So I take it you went with the Magnaflow from the looks of your sig. I'm not familiar with exhaust systems at all. The times before when I have taken my previous trucks to the muffler shop I just told them to make it loud and with this truck I don't want that. I am definitely looking for that "throatier" sound. I found this muffler on ebay and was wondering if these were a good choice or can I not go wrong with the 16" Magnaflow?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPINT...Q5fAccessories
It's like ron333 said earlier when he talked about the Mustangs with very good sounding exhaust, that is what I am wanting. I also have a 4.7 so I wasn't sure if that would figure into the equasion or not. Thanks so much for your patience, like I said I know nothing about how to get the sound I am looking for, just what the sound sounds like. I am not sure but I believe I have 3" exhaust all the way, it is still the factory exhaust.
The stock exhaust on the 4.7 is ~2.5" in diameter, and you need a dual in single out or dual in dual out, unless you keep the "Y". If all you want is the sound without any performance, you could keep the "Y" in there, but any exhaust shop worth their pay can remove it without it costing you any extra than running the pipe from the cats. I'm using the 11" Magnaflow DI/DO #11379, which I would consider to be loud. For what you're describing, the 18" DI/DO #12468 should be perfect for you. Any longer (22"), and it's going to decrease the "rumble" you're looking for.

There's also the Cherry Bomb Vortex 17" DI/DO #88116 that will likely produce your sound, but may be slightly more restrictive than the wide-open Magnaflows. I'd steer clear of the Extreme series, as they have a very short 6" body.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:57 AM
ron333
Captain

I would suggest contacting Spintech and asking them which muffler will do as you are wanting for your truck. The one you linked to is going to be louder than the one I have, and possibly have some drone to it, but I cannot tell you how much more. I described what I wanted to them and the one I have is what they suggested, but that was for the previous truck I owned with the 5.2l and Pacesetter LT headers and 3" y-pipe. That muffler sounded PERFECT for that truck. Now that it is on my newer 5.7 it still sounds really good, but definitely different than on the other one. I didn't ask them if it was the correct one for it, I just used it since I had it already. I also don't know how much of a difference the sound will be between a 4.7l and a 5.7l engine. The muffler that you linked to also is smaller than mine which means fewer spin traps and increased sound. As I mentioned, it may have issues with drone, but these are questions for the gurus at Spintech. http://www.spintechmufflers.com/ They have a phone number listed on the home page... it is definitely the quickest way to get educated answers for your questions.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:06 PM
SLT07ThunderRoad
Rookie

Magnaflow mufflers are awesome, simple as that. You could literally drop golf ***** through mine. I cannot imagine there are many other options short of a straight pipe setup that would flow better. They are stainless steel, affordable, and have a lifetime guarantee.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:38 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Magnaflow or go slow!!

Old 08-02-2011, 07:19 PM
ricer
Veteran

Kudos to Brandon Anderson! He definitely helped me alot in my muffler choice and thanks for understanding I just didn't have the extra money to do a catback and just wanted to get the sound I was looking for the cheapest way possible at the time. I did go with the Magnaflow #11259 and I am loving it. It sounds freakin' awesome! Not too loud but it's got that deep, throaty sound too it and don't get me wrong she will talk to ya when you get after it. Thanks alot Brandon and all who commented.
Name:  ed8.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  17.2 KB

Old 08-02-2011, 07:44 PM
02dodgeram5.9
Professional

I love my aero turbine muffler on mine. Sounds aggressive and the way a hemi should sound like.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:18 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by ricer
Kudos to Brandon Anderson! He definitely helped me alot in my muffler choice and thanks for understanding I just didn't have the extra money to do a catback and just wanted to get the sound I was looking for the cheapest way possible at the time. I did go with the Magnaflow #11259 and I am loving it. It sounds freakin' awesome! Not too loud but it's got that deep, throaty sound too it and don't get me wrong she will talk to ya when you get after it. Thanks alot Brandon and all who commented.
No problem sir, I'm glad you like it! Good to know that the ton of research I did when purchasing my system paid off for someone else as well.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:36 AM
MeAndMyHemi
Rookie

I ordered up a Summit branded turbo muffler and installed it (Leaving the resonator). Low rumble at idle, slight "Rage" at full throttle and most importantly, NO DRONE......

Quick Reply: mufflers...?