3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

exhaust/throtle body/air intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 11:33 AM
racerb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust/throtle body/air intake

hey all, was in at the local truck acc. shop, was looking at some new exhaust, the guy there told me i should go with the magnaflow system (complete bolt in myself) but he did say that single exhaust seems to not disrupt the running of the truck..with the dual they have had some guys with some rough running issues.... anyway he was telling me that most guys that have done this exhaust have also done a throtle body plate and went with a dry AFE air intake......

basicaly the reason i am doing this is that I want to have a better sounding truck, maybe increase the power abit as well.....I just bought a travel trailer so just looking to help everything move just that little better...
anyways just looking for opinions on the upgrades and if there is any cons out there about doing what they suggested to do

Old 08-05-2011, 01:21 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can just swap mufflers for better sound and save some money. The issue you can run into w/ that is drone from the exhaust in the cab at certain rpm and it can really annoy you. I'd suggest a larger magnaflow muffler for more sound and no drone, at least 21" long. As for performance a tuner will probably get the best performance per dollar like superchips or diablo. The throttle plate I assume is a throttle body spacer which is a waste of money so scratch that. For the intake you can get a knockoff of the AEM/mopar intake for like $80 then just buy the filter you want for it, I suggest the AEM dryflow b/c they are easy to clean and filter well.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:30 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I would probably find me a new shop. That guy is trying to make a buck on you with easy to install mods.

While there is nothing wrong with a Magnaflow single exhaust, I've never had nor heard of an issue with a dual output exhaust provided it was installed correctly and used quality components.

The "throttle body plate" which I assume means a TB Spacer, does pretty much nothing on modern throttle body assemblies. In the '80s when TBs first started replacing Carbs, it did, but it's usefulness pretty much went out in the mid 90s.

Make your own CAI for under $25, then get you the filter of your choice and stick it on. The AEM dry filters aren't bad at all. With the exception of some of the "high end" CAIs such as the Vararam, there is almost no measurable performance difference between a home-made, ebay special or name brand. Although some of the ebay ones are cheaply made and fall apart...

Old 08-05-2011, 04:09 PM
racerb

ahhh sorry i meant tb plate..... I thought i read on here somewhere that if you changed exhaust on the truck it can sometimes screw up the msd ignition.... which is kinda what worries me about changing the exhaust....i am assuming that this is what he was talking about on the dual exhaust...i am also guessing that it was a aem filter not an afe... (sorry had a bit of stuff flying at me all at once) but he did recomend to go with the dry as it is a little easier to use.......

Old 08-05-2011, 07:15 PM
ricer
Veteran

I did exactly as Hammer said as far as building my own CAI. Total invested for the CAI was about $45.00 and thats including the $25.00 used K&N drop-in filter. I just had a si/so Magnaflow muffler (pn#11259) installed this week and absolutely love it. Nice deep sound and sounds really good when you get on it. I believe the measurements on the muffler were 4"x9"x18" long.
Name:  cai21.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  18.1 KB
Name:  ed8.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  17.2 KB

Old 08-05-2011, 09:47 PM
xjfever
Professional

I installed my CAI last monday and love the new sound, I also according to my overhead readout picked up around 9/10 better mpg's. I am going to weld in my magnaflow muffler and Y-pipe this weekend if time allows along with removing the factory resonator, I will let you know the outcome there as well.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:36 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What Hammer and Chambers are trying to say is you dont need anything for your throttle body except maybe give it a good cleaning

Old 08-07-2011, 06:19 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I can assure you that a dual outlet Magnaflow system will not hurt anything. I have one on my 08.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:26 AM
racerb

hehehe so the big picture here is.... exhaust is good (single or duals)... throtle body plate, not so much...... and hell why not make my own cai..... thanks ya'll not sure why the dude at the store told me just go with the single not the duals.... will have to pry for more info... sounds like either way I will be getting exhaust lol.....

Old 08-08-2011, 06:33 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea exhaust is good, you can go pretty cheap if you pick up the y-pipe and muffler off ebay, amazon, or wherever has a good price with decent shipping costs. Then have it put in by an exhaust shop for an hour or less of labor, if you search you'll find a pic of the factory y-pipe and see how restrictive it is and why we recommend replacing it when you do the muffler or maybe an x-pipe if you do duals. I still think the best bang for your buck in power will be a tuner but the cai intake and exhaust will help add some more power and noise to that.

Quick Reply: exhaust/throtle body/air intake