3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Cherry Bomb glasspack on ram hemi !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 01:47 PM
adventurer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cherry Bomb glasspack on ram hemi !!

i wanted to fit a glass pack on my 2006 hemi But i found out that the glasspack with 2" inside diameter and the piping i have is 3 inch so at the work shop they said that this diameter ( 2 inch ) will kill the truck ! So is it true ???

Old 08-05-2011, 03:30 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Nah, look at the diameter of the neck down at the factory "Y" pipe. You think going from 3" to 2" is going to make a bit of difference after that?

Actually, without putting it on a dyno they can't make that statement. Going from a wider pipe to narrower (within reason) can often act to scavenge gasses from the manifold faster. How do you increase water pressure and the speed which water travels through pipe? Same principle.
Now I'm not saying there won't be a CFM decrease with the neck down, but even if there is, going from 3" to 2" for about a foot and a half isn't going to make enough difference to be able to tell anywhere but on a dyno...

Old 08-05-2011, 06:28 PM
adventurer
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Nah, look at the diameter of the neck down at the factory "Y" pipe. You think going from 3" to 2" is going to make a bit of difference after that?

Actually, without putting it on a dyno they can't make that statement. Going from a wider pipe to narrower (within reason) can often act to scavenge gasses from the manifold faster. How do you increase water pressure and the speed which water travels through pipe? Same principle.
Now I'm not saying there won't be a CFM decrease with the neck down, but even if there is, going from 3" to 2" for about a foot and a half isn't going to make enough difference to be able to tell anywhere but on a dyno...
So u think its ok to fit the glass pack instead of the magnafow muffler and it will not effect the performance ?

Last edited by adventurer; 08-05-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:15 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I don't think it'd be enough to notice if it did, hell if anything it might drop the torque curve a little lower via a little backpressure and increase take off...

Old 08-05-2011, 08:40 PM
adventurer
Professional

I don't think it'd be enough to notice if it did, hell if anything it might drop the torque curve a little lower via a little backpressure and increase take off...
so if it drop the torque curve a little lower will it be better for offroading on sand and climbing sand dunes and extreme hilly roads ? coz i go with my brothers and friends offroading and they got jeeps and avalanche z71 and silverado and sierra 5.3 and sometimes i cant keep up with the avalanche on hilly roads ,,,, So i need ur advice HammerZ71 Please ,,,

Old 08-05-2011, 08:45 PM
reefguy89
Captain

u will be fine. but i would find a different shop to put it on. Cause an exhaust shop should know that that wont make any noticable differance. If they dont know that like hell if i would let them touch my truck.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:54 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by adventurer
so if it drop the torque curve a little lower will it be better for offroading on sand and climbing sand dunes and extreme hilly roads ? coz i go with my brothers and friends offroading and they got jeeps and avalanche z71 and silverado and sierra 5.3 and sometimes i cant keep up with the avalanche on hilly roads ,,,, So i need ur advice HammerZ71 Please ,,,

Yeah, the name of the game off-road (or towing or hauling for that matter) is low end torque, you can have all the high end HP in the world and it'd be pretty useless to you, and yeah, I think I'd find me another shop, they don't know their a$$es from a hole in the ground...

Old 08-05-2011, 09:26 PM
adventurer
Professional

Yeah, the name of the game off-road (or towing or hauling for that matter) is low end torque, you can have all the high end HP in the world and it'd be pretty useless to you, and yeah, I think I'd find me another shop, they don't know their a$$es from a hole in the ground...
from what i understand from u that the cherrybomb glasspack is better than the magnaflow muffler (1 inlet / 2 outlet ) am using now , so soon i ll fit the glasspack but shull i keep the tip coming out from the side before the rear wheel or shull i run it from the back underneath the bumper ? now it has dual side tips i ll make it one tip coz of the cherrybomb exit , so what do u think ?

Old 08-05-2011, 09:51 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I wouldn't say it's better from a performance standpoint. Unless you are comparing a really restrictive muffler to a really good flowing one, the difference is not going to be felt. NOW the GlassPack will sound better for sure.

The shorter the pipe run, the louder/deeper the exhaust note will be...

Old 08-05-2011, 09:59 PM
adventurer
Professional
Smile

Thank u for ur help HammerZ71 , and thank u reefguy89

Quick Reply: Cherry Bomb glasspack on ram hemi !!