3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

QMI protects engine ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 03:58 PM
adventurer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QMI protects engine ??

Hi all , can i use QMI engine treatment for my 06 ram hemi ? will it affect the MDS ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSylh8-r-Es

http://www.qmimo.com/products/1.-QMI...Treatment.html

What do you say ???

Old 08-20-2011, 05:08 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Personally, I hesitate to use ANY oil treatments. The additive packages in today's oils contain everything necessary to get the best protection and guard against viscosity breakdown, sludging and foaming. Some additive packages don't respond well to the introduction of other chemicals, which is why it's not a good idea to mix different brands of oils in the crankcase at the same time.

I would stick with a good quality, name-brand 100% full synthetic and make sure I changed it at the recommended intervals before I messed with any additives.

Was a time when oil was basically oil and the additives came from the after-market "oil treatments" such as STP, but that day is passed, IMO...

Old 08-20-2011, 05:20 PM
adventurer
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I would stick with a good quality, name-brand 100% full synthetic and make sure I changed it at the recommended intervals before I messed with any additives.
This is exactly what i will do , thanks HammerZ71

Old 08-20-2011, 05:30 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Good advice Hammer. I second that.

And yes it will effect MDS. As a matter of fact, the computer knows if you use 5w-30 as compared to 5w-20 and will store a code for that which only the dealers can see. It won't set off an engine light, but it is something they can tell. I use 5w-30 regardless of what internal codes get stored. It protects better than 20 over a wider heat range! I'm taking about internal codes, not engine cel's.
I have a superchips tuner with mds disabled so I couldn't say if 5w-30 would make any difference but I know guys who used 10w-30 and they have had problems.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:30 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I have never had an issue on any engine with 5w20. That stored code will also void your lifetime powertrain warranty if you have an internal engine problem down the road.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:39 PM
Marklorenzo
Veteran

5w20 always just seemed way to thin to me......

Old 08-21-2011, 09:13 PM
bandroidx
Rookie

my engine is pushing 181k, any suggestions for an engine of that age? my first oil change i got the high mileage stuff from the mobil oil change shop, but my dad (who i bought the truck from) laughed and said i wasted my cash.

I of course dont plan on switching to a full synthetic, i assume i would be asking for leaks and problems at this point in the game, but how about a blend?

those lucas displays are very cool but i always figure my engine is alot more advanced than 4 gear wheels on a hand crank.....

Old 08-21-2011, 09:29 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bandroidx
my engine is pushing 181k, any suggestions for an engine of that age? my first oil change i got the high mileage stuff from the mobil oil change shop, but my dad (who i bought the truck from) laughed and said i wasted my cash.

I of course dont plan on switching to a full synthetic, i assume i would be asking for leaks and problems at this point in the game, but how about a blend?

those lucas displays are very cool but i always figure my engine is alot more advanced than 4 gear wheels on a hand crank.....

And the funny thing here is that all the data I've been privy to would say your dad is nuts. Most "high mileage" oils ARE synthetic blends btw.

High mileage oils have a much richer additive blend that includes leak additives, seal additives and a stronger detergent blend aimed at reducing sludge issues and cleansers for the cylinder walls.

I'd go with a high mileage oil and even though it may be half synthetic, I'd change at the same interval as if I used a conventional oil...

Old 08-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Marklorenzo
Veteran

unfortunetly at the oil shop I work at we just throw in a bottle of "high mileage" aka honey oil for the hight mile oil change. Charging 54.99 for it and at seven quarts they would charge u eight dollars extra for the two quarts. I am not sure about other shops but I feel as tho a synthetic blend high mileage is better than the honey junk. All it does is cover your ticking problems lol

Quick Reply: QMI protects engine ??