3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

4WD options on 03-05 1500?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 11:08 PM
korndogg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4WD options on 03-05 1500?

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy an 03-05 hemi 1500. I've noticed that they have two 4WD options. One is digital and controlled with a **** on the dash, and one is on the floor. Any advantage to either?

Anything I should watch out for when looking for a new truck? Known issues?

Thanks!

Tommy

Old 08-21-2011, 12:08 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You almost never see any issues with either system, and neither seems to be more prone to problems than the other.

I have every possible option and nothing on my truck has had any problems. It'll probably reach 80k miles by the end of this year.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:13 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I had to look all over for a Laramie truck with a manual stick control when I bought my truck, almost all the higher end package trucks had the push button which I viewed at the time as just something that could screw up and leave you without 4WD when you need it.

But I have to admit, I've heard of VERY FEW issues with the push button controlled systems.

Just make sure if you ever are thinking about a lift NOT to get the AWD equipped model, there are almost NO lift kits that will work with it...

Old 08-21-2011, 01:15 AM
korndogg

Yeah I was kind of thinking that too. Seems like one more thing to fail. Good to hear that it's pretty reliable.

Interesting note on the lift kit, thanks. I wouldn't do anything crazy but it seems like a lot of the trucks are lower in the front. Most I'd do is even out the front, maybe another couple inches.

I read somewhere that the electronic system can maybe save some gas, but in practice I imagine it's nearly impossible to notice.

Thanks guys. I can't wait for my car to sell so I can buy a new truck! 03-05 hemi laramie extended cab!

Old 08-21-2011, 08:15 PM
Marklorenzo
Veteran

I prefer on the ground shifted but that's just me. Feels like I accomplished something lol

Quick Reply: 4WD options on 03-05 1500?