3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

which tire??......................

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 09:22 PM
Killasrt4
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which tire??......................

looking for a decent set of tires for 03 ram1500 hemi..the tires r 275/55/20..
so far im looking at

--Hankook Ventus ST RH06

-- Yokohama Parada Spec-X

what u guys think of these tires??

Old 08-31-2011, 11:54 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

The Hancooks have my vote generally because they are overall better rated than the Yoko's, last longer and are cheaper to boot. Neither of them come in the correct factory size of 275/60R20 though.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:23 AM
cjs4444
All Star

I vote Hankook as well or go with the Cooper Zeons.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:01 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star
Thumbs up

What Exactly are you looking for in a tire? If you don't need a pure on-road performance tire like the Hankooks, I will +1 the Cooper Zeons. They are available in the correct factory size, or you can even get a 34" if you so choose, and they will offer you decent ability off-pavement as well (think dirt roads more than off-road mudding).

Old 09-01-2011, 12:11 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I always think ricer when I think Yokahama. Some of the Hankooks look good, but the guys I know who have/had them always b*tched about pieces of the tire chunking off when they got to be a couple of years old.

Hard to beat them there Zeons for a 20" wheel...

Old 09-01-2011, 01:53 PM
CanadianTrucker

I am a big fan of BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A's. You can get them in 275/65R20 or 285/55R20. I had them on my last truck and ran them 5 years through both summer and winter putting about 90,000km's on them and they were awesome. They're a little pricy, but the capability to do a little off-road action while still having a super smooth and silent ride is worth it. Not sure on your application, but that's my vote.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:01 PM
ram_bo06
Captain

look into zeons you wont be dissapointed.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:07 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by CanadianTrucker
I am a big fan of BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A's. You can get them in 275/65R20 or 285/55R20. I had them on my last truck and ran them 5 years through both summer and winter putting about 90,000km's on them and they were awesome. They're a little pricy, but the capability to do a little off-road action while still having a super smooth and silent ride is worth it. Not sure on your application, but that's my vote.
I dunno what a KM is but if 90,000 of them are more than 20,000 miles you done real good. I've owned two sets and neither one saw more'n 20k miles. Bad, uneven wear and cupping issues from hell from both sets on two different trucks. Only two brand/models of tires I ever had a real issue with were the two sets of BFG A/Ts I owned and a set of Goodyear Wranglers out of numerous sets of tires on the seven full size 4x4s I've owned over the years.

I got a good buddy with a set of BFG A/Ts on his Jeep Wrangler, 18k miles and they are slicks! He'll never make the mistake again, I can guarantee you that.

I know they sell a lot of them and they are a popular tire, but then again, so is a Flowmaster muffler and it's a POS too. I wonder what tire manufacturer spends the most on advertising? I wonder what muffler manufacturer spends the most on advertising. Hmmmmm...

That's my opinion anyway and I'm sticking to it, LOL...

Old 09-01-2011, 07:50 PM
CanadianTrucker

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I dunno what a KM is but if 90,000 of them are more than 20,000 miles you done real good. I've owned two sets and neither one saw more'n 20k miles. Bad, uneven wear and cupping issues from hell from both sets on two different trucks. Only two brand/models of tires I ever had a real issue with were the two sets of BFG A/Ts I owned and a set of Goodyear Wranglers out of numerous sets of tires on the seven full size 4x4s I've owned over the years.

I got a good buddy with a set of BFG A/Ts on his Jeep Wrangler, 18k miles and they are slicks! He'll never make the mistake again, I can guarantee you that.

I know they sell a lot of them and they are a popular tire, but then again, so is a Flowmaster muffler and it's a POS too. I wonder what tire manufacturer spends the most on advertising? I wonder what muffler manufacturer spends the most on advertising. Hmmmmm...

That's my opinion anyway and I'm sticking to it, LOL...
Damn, I must have bought a good set because mine lasted 56,000miles (converted it from KM's to be nice to ya Hammer). And even when I was about to replace them they still could have made it through another summer, but the tread was too far gone to give me much traction for the winter season. Loved them, but I guess just like anything different people have different experiences.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:14 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by CanadianTrucker
Damn, I must have bought a good set because mine lasted 56,000miles (converted it from KM's to be nice to ya Hammer). And even when I was about to replace them they still could have made it through another summer, but the tread was too far gone to give me much traction for the winter season. Loved them, but I guess just like anything different people have different experiences.
To be honest, because it's such a popular brand, there are more reviews on BFGs than probably any other tire and either people have had great experiences with it and love 'em or have had terrible experiences and hate 'em. There are almost no middle ground reviews.
I had bad luck with two sets and that was enough for me.

But regardless, IMO there are tires out there that cost a good bit less that are at least as good if not better than BFGs. To me, if I'm gonna pay BFG prices, I'd rather get a Mickey Thompson or Dick Cepek tire and have an undisputed top tier tire for that kinda money. I've gotten 68,000 miles on a set of Mickey's and they'd go places a BFG has no business being.
My current Cepeks are now at 32,000 miles and maybe have 10% treadwear on them and they aren't any more money than a comparable BFG M/T radial.

But tires are the single hardest thing to decide on because for every great review on any tire, you'll read a **** poor one next...

Quick Reply: which tire??......................