3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Looking to get an early 3rd gen., have some concerns

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 05:04 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I should add, I bought my '04 new off the lot in April of '04. To date, the only warranty repair I had it in for during my 3/36 bumper-to-bumper and 7/70 power train was for a failed shock in the first year.

I have however replaced most of the "common" problem parts before they had a chance to become a problem. My Rancho lift got rid of some of the non-greasable crap front end components and I added an Auburn LSD when I did 4.56 gears at 19k miles, thus yanking another possible headache component...

Old 11-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Optimus
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Yeah, if you're looking at 4x4s you are probably taking a Hemi out of the picture for $8500 unless it's either got real high mileage or has issues. Probably looking at a fairly high mileage 4.7 in that price area.

The 5.9 is a tank and other than the plenum issue (fixable) they tend to last forever BUT if you can find a Hemi, you'll make up the cost difference in fuel savings. I'm finding that despite having 100 more HP under the hood, my QC 4x4 Hemi easily gets 25% better gas mileage than my '98 5.9 RC 4x4 Ram did. PLUS with the kinda mileage you are looking at, you REALLY want to find a truck with a 545rfe transmission. I wouldn't trust a 46re at much over 100k...
Is the 46RE still found in the 3rd gen, or was that only a 2nd gen trans? And I take it the 5.9L found in the 3rd gen is the same engine as 2nd gen, therefore the plenum issue still exists?

I'm seeing several trucks with the 4.7L, and they happen to be the cheapest of what I'm finding, but I'm concerned it won't have enough oomph to do what I need. I have a 4.7L in my current vehicle and it's ok, but the Dodge will also be a heavier truck. I test drove an '03 with a 5.9L in it, and the trip meter showed 11.6mpg over the last 250 miles (ouch!). Mind you, I have no idea how those miles were done.... but still, call it "sticker shock."

Anyway, I've got two possibilities right now--one is an '02 1500 quad cab 4x4 with a 4.7L and auto for $8000 and about 90k miles (check engine light is on). The other is an '03 1500 with a hemi and 113k for supposedly $8900 but am still waiting on details from the dealer (they just took it in on trade).

Old 11-28-2011, 12:05 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

'02 and some very early '03s had the 5.9 in a 3rd Gen Chassis - with 46re and the plenum issue still in play.

Personally, I don't think the 4.7 has the power to be in a 4x4 and a QC. QC 4x2 or Reg cab 4x4 yeah, but not both, especially if turning the heavy a$$ 20" wheels and 33" or larger tires. But that's personal opinion, many think the power is enough to suite their needs.

The 4.7 is a good engine, it's two major shortfalls are oil sludging and if it's allowed to overheat, the aluminum heads warp and crack at even a mild over-heat. BOTH issues are avoidable with adequate care.

IMO there is NO advantage of having a 4.7 over a Hemi in these trucks, except maybe initial cost. The Hemi has way more HP & Torque and gets roughly the same fuel economy. Early ('02s and some '03s) 4.7 engines have the 45rfe tranny which has one less gear than the 545rfe, but it's only a PCM update from having a 545rfe.

'03 Hemi engines have considerably weaker valve springs than the '04+ versions and could become an issue as the truck gets up there in miles, although the heavier springs can be put in.

Last edited by HammerZ71; 11-28-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Optimus
Rookie

Ok--shoot, I better check to see what trans is in the trucks I'm looking into. I already had enough troubles with the '98 I had, and I do not want another repeat. I had read somewhere that the Gen 3 was a complete revision with new body, driveline, etc... and everything was basically "new" but obviously not.

One of the trucks I'm going to try and take a look at is an '03 with a hemi--hopefully they didn't offer the 46RE with a hemi (too much HP for such a weak trans???).

I plan on running 33's in whatever truck I get (already have the tires), so you are confirming what I was thinking that the 4.7L is just not going to cut the mustard. So, it sounds like I should stick with a 5.9L bear minimum (which I'd like to avoid) or go to the 5.7 Hemi and get almost 100 more HP and better fuel economy. If the one I want to look at does not sell before I can get to it, then hopefully I can actually make something work with that truck. It IS an '03 though, so possibly some valve spring issues to worry about at 113k. No idea on it's maintenance history, though if Dodge has a nationally available database at it's OEM dealers, I can perhaps call a dealer and get the history (I can do this with at least a couple other brand of vehicles).

Thanks for all the help!

Old 11-28-2011, 12:56 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Optimus
Ok--shoot, I better check to see what trans is in the trucks I'm looking into. I already had enough troubles with the '98 I had, and I do not want another repeat. I had read somewhere that the Gen 3 was a complete revision with new body, driveline, etc... and everything was basically "new" but obviously not.

One of the trucks I'm going to try and take a look at is an '03 with a hemi--hopefully they didn't offer the 46RE with a hemi (too much HP for such a weak trans???).

I plan on running 33's in whatever truck I get (already have the tires), so you are confirming what I was thinking that the 4.7L is just not going to cut the mustard. So, it sounds like I should stick with a 5.9L bear minimum (which I'd like to avoid) or go to the 5.7 Hemi and get almost 100 more HP and better fuel economy. If the one I want to look at does not sell before I can get to it, then hopefully I can actually make something work with that truck. It IS an '03 though, so possibly some valve spring issues to worry about at 113k. No idea on it's maintenance history, though if Dodge has a nationally available database at it's OEM dealers, I can perhaps call a dealer and get the history (I can do this with at least a couple other brand of vehicles).

Thanks for all the help!
Nope, 545RFE, better up to a point, but they suck up HP.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:44 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by Optimus

Thanks for all the help!

It's pretty simple to figure out the transmissions:
If it has the old 5.9l, it still has the old 46RE transmission.
The very early 3rd gen 4.7l may have been shipped with the 45RFE (not 46RE) 4spd, which can be flashed to the 545RFE 5spd.
ALL of the Hemi's came with the 545RFE, as well as any '04+ 4.7l.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:32 AM
lfunk11

I have 106K on my '04 Hemi and have not had many issues. I had to recently replace the stock front rotors and now I need to get to the rear rotors. I did have an issue with the transmission range sensor that caused me some grief, but after a week or two of research I was able to fix the problem myself for a few hundred dollars. I currently need ball joints, but that isn't a big expense. The driver's side seat has a tear in it and I think that is a common issue with these, but can be fixed - I just haven't gotten around to it.

My biggest complaint these days is I bought it in '04 out in San Diego so I got a 2WD and the gas was $1.68. Gas is usually >$3.50 and I now live up in an area that gets a decent bit of snow.

I will drive it until it dies though - its been the most reliable vehicle I have ever had.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Optimus
Rookie

Thanks for the info on trans coding. The '03 I am most closely looking at has a hemi so I should be seeing a 545RFE (actually put a refundable deposit down on the truck to hold it for me).

Up here in Minnesota we definitely need 4WD, so that was the only trucks I would consider looking at. And much to my pleasant surprise, the '03 in question has discs in the rear and should stop pretty well even with the 5000 lb boat. As much as I'd like a 3/4 ton, I can't really afford the extra cost right now due to other recent expenses.

I've already got my first "mod" planned too. I will be taking the 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratrac's off my current SUV and putting them on the Ram. I only wish I could take the 17x9" KMC XD Hoss (gloss black) wheels with me, but they are the wrong bolt pattern. I love the XD's, so I will be buying another set for the Ram. I love the all black look and want to carry it over to the Ram. I also plan on getting a set of Bushwacker pocket flares. I'm not a big fan of chrome, but I like a shiny rivet/lug nut here or there. As the ShamWow guy says--you're gonna love my nuts.

Last edited by Optimus; 11-29-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:03 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Can't speak to the other engines but the Hemi will do fine with your boat. I had a 5.9 Magnum in my previous RAM (2000 w/ Off-Road package) but the mileage was hideous, especially when towing anything with any weight to it.

I bought my 04 new off the lot and the only thing I've ever had an issue was a check engine light pointing me to replace the PCV valve, which I did. It has never let me down, otherwise. And I haven't been all that kind to it as far as keeping up with the maintenance, aside from changing the oil regularly and that type of thing. I'm trying to do right by it now, though, because I plan on keeping my 3rd gen for a long time.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:53 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I will occasionally tow about 7700 lbs. of tractor/rough cut and trailer with no problem whatsoever except for the pretty big hit in fuel economy...

Quick Reply: Looking to get an early 3rd gen., have some concerns