3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Looking to get an early 3rd gen., have some concerns

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Optimus
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get an early 3rd gen., have some concerns

I'm starting to wonder if I am making the right choice.

I have previously owned a 1998 Ram 1500 Sport quad cab 4x4, and am looking at getting an early 3rd generation (it will come down to what I can afford). I've been reading through the 3rd gen. forum including looking for the common issues, trying to get a better idea of what I could be getting myself into.

My budget will only allow for something with around 100k on it already, and likely a 1500, quad cab, and 4x4 is a must for winter use and pulling a boat out a launch ramp. I missed out on a great deal on a 2500 because I couldn't get to the dealer fast enough. I'd go for a 2500 anyway, but there just aren't enough of them in my price range for me to expect to be able to get one. Thus, I will likely only be able to afford a 1500.

Anyway, I have a 4000 pound boat + trailer and gear (figure 6000 lbs by the time all is said and done). Which gas engine is best for this, and best for overall reliability, the 4.7L, 5.7L hemi, or 5.9L (the ole' 360?)? I don't tow the boat very often, so it's not a frequent thing. I realize mpg will plummet while towing. Oh well, I'm used to it. Diesel is out of my price range and out of the question unless I get one well abused with 300k on it (and I therefore am NOT going to get a diesel). So, I'm likely going to have to get a 1500 with varying engine types. The most common that I'm seeing is the 4.7L but I don't know anything about it. I'm a bit nervous to get a 2500 thanks to the death wobble. And in general, it still seems that Chrysler/Fiat) cannot learn from their mistakes. It's pretty scary to think of a vehicle only a few years old who's dash board is cracking/disinegrating, falling into the dash cutting wiring etc.... and for customers to be told to eat it.

What I'm NOT seeing a lot of talk about here is the (potential) rust issue on the 3rd generation trucks, particularly above the rear wheel wells. I've found some information on this forum, but not much. I haven't driven or seen a 3rd generation up close yet, but every one I've called on up here (I live in the rust belt) seems to have bubbling or rust through above the rear wheels. But from what I HAVE read on this forum, it almost seems like it was engineered to fail in that it traps water but won't let it out, and there's some sort of porous foam back there between panels????

Please keep in mind I'm not actually trying to trash Dodge, and I've already owned a 1998 (let's face it, auto transmissions were junk, rust issues, sloppy steering, cracking dash boards, intake manifold leaks, cracked heads, can't fit a double din stereo, etc...), but if it's not already clear, I'm a bit nervous giving up the vehicle I already have (with 210k on it) in favor of a vehicle with half the miles that may end up having more issues than the one I already have with twice the miles. But, I need additional towing capacity (my current SUV is a 1/2 ton with 4.7L but a couple thousand pounds short of what I think a Ram 1500 is rated for). I absolutely love the look of the Ram's, and always have since 1994, which is why I'm still wanting to get another one. I'm just hoping that the 3rd generation is actually a better built truck than the 2nd gen's, rather than simply being a situation of a "fix for all the old problems while creating all new ones." It sounds like the transmissions are light years better than the previous gen, but overall there still seems to be a lot of other issues. Yes, all vehicles have their own set of issues, I get that. Maybe I'm just focusing too much on the bad stuff, because people will tend to report the bad stuff (e.g. on a forum or other type of car review) rather than go out of their way to report the good stuff?

Anyway, thanks for your feedback.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:54 PM
NoLimitzR1
Professional

You always hear more bad then good, I just bought my 2005 1500 4x4 shortbed and love it. Look on the bright side these trucks easy to work on IMO as opposed to my cars whether it be rwd or fwd, I dot know a lot about dodge trucks either but that's what the forum is for. I have my few quirks with the truckand I'm in it for 60 bucks cause my warranty deductible is 100 bucks but dealer cut me a check to reimburse me. Take the truck to your mechanic and do a complete inspection if your buying from a dealer if its private party is ask for any and all maintnance reciepts. I love the truck I'm not scared to have to fix things either as I'm mechanically inclined but if you like the truck and still nervous do what I do stash away 30 or 40 a week for repair funds incase you get caught off guard, if you have a surplus down the road take a little and splurge on your truck. I'm reading everything on the forum and with what i see there's nothing that hasn't been done and covered on here and most people make a tutorial It's great I love the site and another reason I'm not concerned with repairs but thats me, good luck and don't rush into it do completely check out the truck and if its a dealer have them fix it

Old 11-23-2011, 02:43 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You ALWAYS hear more bad on a forum because 80% of the people get on here when they have a problem and most often AFTER they've had a bad experience in getting the problem fixed, so A LOT of these posts are negative. Not just here, I'm fairly active on other forums for Ford, Chevy, ATVs, guns, etc. and it's pretty much the same all over.

The '03s have a few initial year Hemi issues (valve springs) but over-all is pretty reliable. Look for an '04 or '05 in your budget that's been properly taken care of and you shouldn't have too many problems...

Old 11-23-2011, 11:30 PM
trn579s

I'll second the statements of NoLimitz and Hammer here, you are going to hear a great deal of complaints on any forum... nobody reports that everything is going well. :-) I've had my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi since 2007 when it had 20k miles. I currently have 82k and I've only put a thermostat and brakes on this beast, minus your normal maintenance items like air filters, spark plugs, etc... yes, a pain to change every 30k but hey, it only takes a couple of hours.

The only time I wish I had more power is when I was pulling a 7k travel trailer. Sure, it would have been nice to have a 2500 diesel on those infrequent pulls, but all in all, this is a daily driver and the top end power of the hemi and the lower buy-in price is a winning combination.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:18 AM
Optimus
Rookie

Thanks for the feedback. I drove an '02 4x4 quad cab with a 5.9L last night. It had 185k on it, but it drove mint! I won't be buying that particular one, but if it's any sign of what to expect at those miles, I'd be very happy. That being said, the box had been repainted recently due to rust just like the rest of them up here. Furthermore, I took my first close look in the wheel wells of a 3rd gen last night--it's like they designed those channels to trap water and salt. And I did look at a second truck that had open cell foam oozing out of one of those infamous holes. Where the heck are the plastic wheel liners from the 2nd gen?

Anyway, I will continue looking at more trucks. Looks like I should focus on a 1500 with a hemi and a few goodies or get a bare bones 2500 (again, based on what I can afford). The only 2004-2005 I have seen in my price range are trucks approaching 175-200k.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Lifttruck
Rookie

My '02 1500 QC 4x4 5.9l has been trouble free. One recall to install a blower motor harness overlay. Of course it only has 56k mi on it and the options that didn't come installed from the factory I installed myself. I tow my race rig with it and run my boys to their activities.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:23 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by Optimus
Thanks for the feedback. I drove an '02 4x4 quad cab with a 5.9L last night. It had 185k on it, but it drove mint! I won't be buying that particular one, but if it's any sign of what to expect at those miles, I'd be very happy. That being said, the box had been repainted recently due to rust just like the rest of them up here. Furthermore, I took my first close look in the wheel wells of a 3rd gen last night--it's like they designed those channels to trap water and salt. And I did look at a second truck that had open cell foam oozing out of one of those infamous holes. Where the heck are the plastic wheel liners from the 2nd gen?

Anyway, I will continue looking at more trucks. Looks like I should focus on a 1500 with a hemi and a few goodies or get a bare bones 2500 (again, based on what I can afford). The only 2004-2005 I have seen in my price range are trucks approaching 175-200k.
Thank the Daimler ownership for that one. Just like taking away the luggage rack rails on the Grand Cherokee from the ZJ (1st Gen) to the WJ (2nd Gen) and forcing you to purchase them as a $175 option, they took away the well liners and forced you to pay $200 for them as a dealer option (although the Mopar ones are available online for about $130).

What is your price range? I'm seeing '04 & '05 1500 QC 4x4s around here for about $10k with about 100-120,000 miles on them (usually 4.7s) and about $12k with the same mileage and a Hemi under the hood on private listings. Although the dealers are gouging a bit, I stopped by my local dealer the other day for a free oil change on my mom's Journey and saw an '04, QC 4.7 4x4 with 138k on the clock that the thieving bastards had a price of $16,995 on (of course what's painted on the window and what you can actually get it for are two different things)...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 11-24-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:51 AM
Optimus
Rookie

Well, I guess it's good I can still get liners. As for pricing, it's all over the place. The one I looked at last night with 185k was $7500. I looked at but did not drive an '02 with 72k quad cab 4x4 plain jane with exception of some lame sticker striping for $15,000 and moderately rusty rear wheel wells. Needless to say, I didn't bother with this one either. I'm shooting for something around $8500 by the time all is said and done.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:18 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Yeah, if you're looking at 4x4s you are probably taking a Hemi out of the picture for $8500 unless it's either got real high mileage or has issues. Probably looking at a fairly high mileage 4.7 in that price area.

The 5.9 is a tank and other than the plenum issue (fixable) they tend to last forever BUT if you can find a Hemi, you'll make up the cost difference in fuel savings. I'm finding that despite having 100 more HP under the hood, my QC 4x4 Hemi easily gets 25% better gas mileage than my '98 5.9 RC 4x4 Ram did. PLUS with the kinda mileage you are looking at, you REALLY want to find a truck with a 545rfe transmission. I wouldn't trust a 46re at much over 100k...

Old 11-24-2011, 04:26 PM
SwampDonkey440
Amateur

I second hammer on the 46re trans. I have an 02 1500 qc 4x4 with 105k. No problems yet, but I am wary, having owned several 2nd gens and rebuilt probably half of their transmissions. Another issue to look out for it rearends. Mine was grinding under power while turning. Carrier clip issues common and easily searchable on df and not an extremely pricey fix if caught early. I got mine from a couple that were moving out of state for 8800. And when I called the dealership to get a build sheet they told me it had literally every factory option available in 02.

Quick Reply: Looking to get an early 3rd gen., have some concerns