3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

So I've been thinking about trading

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 11:43 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default So I've been thinking about trading

I know after what I've done to my truck so recently to just get rid of it seems like a waste but with such a high lift it's killing me with the gas so I've been looking casually for awhile because I knew I would probably never go through with it but then I just stumbled on this: http://www.brandonjeep.com/used/Dodg...8fe1ac2478.htm
It seems like a dream come true to me because the offers I've gotten for my truck around here are about the same as the price for this... And it's 4x4! ANd a Daytona! =D

Old 11-27-2011, 01:02 AM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker

Any thoughts?

Old 11-27-2011, 04:47 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If you need a 4x4, then I'd look at it. But if you don't, you'd basically be swapping for a three year older truck, dunno if I'd do that...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 11-27-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:05 AM
adventurer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will tell u exactly what Hammer said , anyway its up to u

Old 11-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Arctodus
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not only that but, it has over twice the mileage your truck has as well, although I completely understand about the 4x4, I have only owned one truck ( 04 Dakota ) that wasn't a 4x4 and while I absolutely loved that truck it was very limited as I am a huge outdoorsman. 4 wheel drive opens up a whole new world, but just be ready to work on more problems than a 2 wheel drive. I thought the Daytona pakage was just a sticker and a body kit, I wouldn't want that lower body kit on my 4x4, it would get ripped right off, if not by me, the trail would rip it off. Anyways, kind of anxious to see what you do, good luck man.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:21 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I have owned a plethora of full size trucks and SUVs over the 28 years I've been driving and in those 28 years I've probably had about nine months total where I didn't have a 4x4 in the driveway. But I grew up in upstate NY and I just about live in the outdoors. Even when I camp, I really don't want to see another soul in the area unless they came with me, so I can't see myself ever not having a 4x4.

But you live in Florida, so no snow. If your lifestyle dictates you need a 4x4 and you have to trade down in years and mileage to get one, fine. But you need to ask yourself if this is a want or a need? If it's a want, do you want a 4x4 bad enough to go back three years and more mileage?

I know with 6" of lift on a 4x2 your fuel economy can't be great, but keep in mind when going to an '05 you won't have MDS and you will have the added weight of a transfer case and more front end components (about 300 lbs. worth). Don't expect to see any gas mileage gain on this move.

Maybe you can keep the truck and pick up a 4 banger, beater for a daily driver. Adding a small vehicle and only putting on liability won't increase your insurance much. When my step-dad passed away, my mom gave me his '01 Hyundai Accent, this was in '07 and the thing was mint, only 28k miles on it. I would get 40 mpg on the highway and about 34 mpg in over-all use. I couldn't realistically keep it though, I needed three vehicles like I needed a hole in the head. Obviously my truck wasn't going and I had only had the Jeep a little over a year and was spoiled by the versatility and room it had.
When I sold the Accent, despite the low miles and condition, I could only get $2800 for it - KBB was only $2250. The chick who bought it from me got a hell of a steal. In hindsight maybe I should have kept it.
But my point is, if you look hard enough, you can find a reliable 4 cylinder car out there for $2500-$3500 that will let you save gas and NOT pile miles up on your truck. In the first year I had my truck after I got divorced and lost the use of my ex's Grand Cherokee I put 18,000 miles on the truck. Since getting the Jeep, I'm averaging about 7000 miles a year on the truck. That's a 11,000 miles in gas and more importantly, wear and tear I'm saving on a vehicle that I have over $13,000 in mods on...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 11-27-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:07 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker

I was actually looking at an 04 Jeep GC too because really I just want a 4x4 so I can go play with my buddies and take a few trips down to RYC. I guess I don't really need a little car I can just get a bike to ride to campus on since that's where the truck is really killing me. On the highway I was able to get a good 16 mpg coming home this weekend so I can live with that but the city driving is killing me.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:20 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I love my GC despite the fact that it just hit 100k miles on the ticker and is starting to have ALL the damn common issues they get lately. Overlands and Limited are plagued by issues with all the extra "goodies" they come with, not to mention I just had a caliper lock up and take the pads and rotor out with it and my radiator just decided to split at the seam. But I've not put a dime in it over normal maintenance in about 5 years, so I guess I can't b*tch.

If you're looking at a GC to take off-road, keep it simple, go Laredo as it doesn't have all the fancy crap that breaks like heated seats, dual climate, etc. unless you can do all your own work. A simple thing like the dual climate blend door issue is fixable with $100 in parts BUT you have to remove the whole dash and if done at the dealer it's normally a two-day, $1200-1400 in labor job. Problems with all the little fancy extras will break you!

You know if you can get past your buddies laughing at you a moped isn't a bad idea either. I had one when I was 15 and had a paper route. It was rural and covered too big an area for a bike and where I lived you could have a moped at 15 and drive it alone with a learner's permit whereas with a motorcycle or car you had to have someone with you. My step-dad being the chief of police, no way I could "cheat".
Bought me a little Yamaha 50CC deal brand spankin' new for $450 (yeah I know, it was the early '80s), got 100+ mpg and did 35 mph before the governor kicked in. Just a thought. Back then gas was about $1.25 a gallon and about seventy five cents in change would get me through my route for a week, LOL.

I only used it that one year and bought a motorcycle when I got my actual license, gave the moped to my mom and she rode it off and on for probably eight years or so until they retired and moved. Ironically, she sold it for $75 to the neighbors 15 year old daughter who had just taken the same paper route I had almost ten years before...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 11-27-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:29 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker

Well I just need a bicycle to go the 2 mile distance to school and then 2 miles back because walking it takes me about 25-30 mins (yea I like to take my time lol). But I can get one on CL. And it is a Limited that's for sale but just like you did with your GC I wouldn't go crazy on it just a nice subtle lift and definitely no crazy wide or tall tires

Old 11-27-2011, 01:30 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker

But yea I know what you mean about all the fancy stuff being a b**** when it breaks. That's why I've never been interested in getting one of them fancy in dash nav systems lol

Quick Reply: So I've been thinking about trading