3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Terra's VS. Cooper S/T MAXX: How big of a compromise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Terra's VS. Cooper S/T MAXX: How big of a compromise?

Not withstanding the fact I'm still trying to find out if the Nitto's are "snowflake" rated, I'm trying to decide here. I know it's v-i-r-t-u-a-l-ly apples and oranges, but, humor me. Smart money and common sense says "Nitto". However, I like the aesthetics of the aggressive tread pattern on the ST and, honestly, the RWL sidewall is a selling point for me... as stupid as it sounds. You have to like what you live with, right? If the Terra Grapplers were available with a RWL sidewall, I don't think I'd even be writing this right now.

LT295/70R-17 for the Nitto's, which is a 33.2" diameter and 12.5" width, according to their website. The Cooper is a LT285/70R17, which bills itself as a 33" tire, as well, with a width of 11.4". However, I haven't done the math on it, but I'm sure it's more like a 32.6" diameter. That's acceptable. Will an 11.4" tire fit under the fenders without sticking out? My 33x12.5/17 Pro Comp A/T's stick out about 1/2" too much, so I'm having to guess that the Coopers would fit under? I have a 3" BL, so I'm not worried about rubbing, or anything. 33's clear stock, anyway, I think.

Both are "E" rated tires, I believe. So, the Terra Grappler seems to be the de facto standard for great A/T tires. I live in a climate that experiences all four seasons, and from what I understand the snow accumulation is on par with the lower Northeast US. We only had about a month of snow last year, and it wasn't too bad. I grew up in Pennsylvania, so it wasn't anything I hadn't seen before. Anyone have any experience with the Cooper S/T MAXX? Is the dry, wet, and winter performance a compromise in relation to the Terra? It will probably be 90% on-road use, as I haven't found anyplace to take it off-road yet here.

OK, long enough. Terra Grapp's or Cooper? The RWL tires and the possibility of not requiring fender flares by the wonderful host nation are both attractive points of the Coopers. They are also "M+S" rated. The reputation of the Nitto's speaks for itself, however, I do not know if they are rated. Anyone want to run outside and check their sidewalls for me?

Opinions?

Last edited by Chet Ubetcha; 12-03-2011 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Auto-censor "*******ly"?
Old 12-03-2011, 05:09 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The Cooper ST is a tire that's marketed among the new, ultra popular "All-Terrain/Mud-Terrain Hybrid" that has long been dominated by the Cepek FCII alone. From what I'm seeing, it's a solid tire. Dunno if it has the stupid snowflake rating or not.

My Nittos on the Jeep do NOT have the insignia, so I dunno either. But just looking at the treads, I'm leaning toward the Terra Grapplers for snow/ice use. Voids are smaller and there appears to be a good bit more siping.

On an off-road site I'm on, someone posted this about using Terra Grapplers for plowing in winter:

I have them (Nitto Terra Grapplers) on my 08 gmc 2500hd. Just got done plowing 2 icy storms here in iowa the last couple days and all i can say is WOW!!! I am buying a set of these for the other 2 trucks as well. They have great traction, low noise, and I also run them in the summer and they wear better than any other similar styled tire i have owned. I would say for the price you can't beat em.

I'm with you, I like the raised white's myself, but we are a dying breed. Most these days want the black sidewalls...

Old 12-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

http://www.tirereview.com/article/81...tire_laws.aspx

Apparently, it is the "M+S" that is mandatory, and the mountain/snowflake is optional. Either way, that sucks. Looks like the Cepek and the Nitto's are out. I'm not sure I want to put another set of Pro Comp A/T's on. I have read that once they get below about 50% that they absolutely suck in winter... like having slicks on any sort of packed snow. This scares me, because I'm well past 50% on mine.

Cepek and Mickey's are both under the Cooper umbrella, right? So is Pro Comp. I don't understand why Cooper would seek the rating for certain brands but not others?

Old 12-05-2011, 04:10 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Pro Comp doesn't make anything that bears their name, they are a marketing company owned in part by 4 Wheel Parts. Some of their wheels are Eagle, some American Racing. Their lights are made in China, the shocks are Tenneco. They do "claim" to make their own lift kits, but from what I understand they are shipped from China and just final assembly is done here.

They used to be made by Kelly Tire and they SUCKED. I had a buddy with a set of the older style A/T who had them turn to slicks by 18,000 miles. But I've heard since the contract went to Cooper they are a LOT better.

In the US, nobody pays attention to the M+S or mountain/snowflake, short of maybe some gullible consumers, not even insurance companies. So I can see why a tire company would not choose to pay what is basically wasted money on the "certification".

Quick Reply: Terra's VS. Cooper S/T MAXX: How big of a compromise?