3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Tools for the DIY'er

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 12:25 AM
reefguy89
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here ya i got this kit and built on to it as i have needed. this kit has pretty much covered every thing i have needed. and its on sale.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ptls&adCell=W2

Old 12-08-2011, 01:14 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for that link. I think I'm going to pass it along to my wife for Christmas. Drop some not-so-subtle hints...

Hammer, I'm very interested in seeing the garden hose at work, as well!

Old 12-08-2011, 03:08 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It's not very difficult, you cut a piece of hose, the diameter fits over a spark plug pretty tightly plus as you twist it it gets tighter and will turn the plug out. The key here is that it's flexible and you can fit it just about anywhere and it's rubber, so it won't damage the ceramic plug. Also works great for putting the plugs in as well, when you have the plug tight just give a tug and the hose comes off.

I honestly can't believe so many of y'all haven't used this. It's like common knowledge anywhere I've ever been around the deep south.

I have a generator I need to tune up and store for the winter now that hurricane season is over, it's actually a bi&ch getting to the single plug and at least needs an adapter and an extension or two to get at OR a piece of garden hose. I'll take a pic or two when I go to pull it saturday...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 12-08-2011 at 03:26 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:47 AM
nateroach
Veteran

Craftsman here as well. Tough to beat for the price and the amount I use them. If i wrenched everyday I would consider mac/snap-on/matco.

The best method for the sparkplugs is a set of these bad boys.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...3&blockType=G3

there are the KD tools magnetic spark plug sockets with built in wobble heads and extensions. These and a std 3/8" ratchet and you golden, no need for a universal joint, no vacuum line or garden hose, no random assortment of extensions.

I used the medium length one and it worked great. just enough length to clear the neighboring coil pack (06+ heads)

beyond that, like Hammer said, get a good basic set and buy tools as you need them. My next investment is a compressor and impact. might not use it all that often, but damn I miss having access to my old man's, makes stuff so much easier and quicker.

nateroach

Old 12-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator

Originally Posted by reefguy89
here ya i got this kit and built on to it as i have needed. this kit has pretty much covered every thing i have needed. and its on sale.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ptls&adCell=W2

Mudder O'Gawd! When I put it in my cart, it dropped the price to $149.00, and then they had the free shipping code. Overseas shipping to an APO was only $17.00. There's no sane way I can pass it up with that crazy shipping. Only $17.00 for a near 40 lb parcel is ridiculous.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:18 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Chet Ubetcha
Mudder O'Gawd! When I put it in my cart, it dropped the price to $149.00, and then they had the free shipping code. Overseas shipping to an APO was only $17.00. There's no sane way I can pass it up with that crazy shipping. Only $17.00 for a near 40 lb parcel is ridiculous.

Dare we say it's gonna be an EARLY Christmas at your house...

Beyond my pretty extensive tool sets (I even have some late '60s - early '70s Penncraft tools that are hand-me-downs from my father (who's old enough to remember those?), the ones I have that I find indispensable are my air compressor/air tools (I have about everything out there except a nail gun), cordless drill/driver, tri-pod lights (sometimes you just run out of daylight) and my welders. I have a couple of gas welding setups, a big 220v stick welder up in the barn in Georgia (a late '70s Lincoln that still runs like a top) and a MIG. It's amazing how many projects you find to do with just a simple, fairly inexpensive 110v MIG welder. I've found out first hand just how grateful a 30'something year old, attractive, divorced woman on a tight budget can be when you fix a busted exhaust for her...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 12-08-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator

Hahaha... maybe I should start breaking stuff on my wife's Jeep and practice my welding, again. I haven't welded since I was in high school.

I've got a small'ish Craftsman air compressor in storage right now. It's the one big thing I miss the most that I wish I would have brought over. If I knew what kind of spacious house we were going to end up in, rather than the cramped WWII-era abode we thought we were going to be stuck in, I'd have brought a lot more stuff rather than shipping it all off to long-term storage. I really wish I had it back.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:53 PM
Catchin Zs
Professional

Think ima order me a big ol Craftsman set for Christmas, I can really call it mine if I do all the work myself.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:59 PM
hain84
Rookie

Most guys around me would say you can have all the tools in the world but if you dont have building large enough to put them in its pointless. and yes i said building not garage.

Quick Reply: Tools for the DIY'er