3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Renshi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie

So I had a 08 Ram 1500 4X4 with a 4.7. It had a couple issues and since I freaking LOVED that truck I traded it for the exact same truck except this one has the Hemi.

I'm interested in some performance upgrades without breaking the bank. Since I don't know diddly about that in respect to these vehicles I was hoping to get a couple questions answered.

1. Do I need to purchase a programmer or if someone has one can I simply use that (or rent it if you will)?
2. Is a CAI worth it and if so is the noise increase noticeable inside the cab?

Thank you.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:31 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
I'm going to move your post to the 3rd Gen Ram section, This way they can give you some ideals.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:53 PM
jms2291
Rookie

Well, I just installed a K&n setup on my 2005 and it is a very noticeable difference..when I get on it and my rpm hits about 3000 and above it roars...as far as the tuner, idk...I haven't researched it

Old 12-15-2011, 12:32 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Depends on the tuner, but most likely borrowing one wont work. Once a tuner (superchips at least) is used on a vehicle, it is married to that vehicle only unless or until it is used to restore that vehicle back to stock settings. So, for example, you cant go in halves with a buddy with plans ro use it on both your trucks at the same time. It is engineered to not allow that.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:49 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by Renshi
So I had a 08 Ram 1500 4X4 with a 4.7. It had a couple issues and since I freaking LOVED that truck I traded it for the exact same truck except this one has the Hemi.

I'm interested in some performance upgrades without breaking the bank. Since I don't know diddly about that in respect to these vehicles I was hoping to get a couple questions answered.

1. Do I need to purchase a programmer or if someone has one can I simply use that (or rent it if you will)?
2. Is a CAI worth it and if so is the noise increase noticeable inside the cab?

Thank you.
Welcome to the forums o.o/
I had the exact same question about the tuners as well when I was starting out. Yes, you must purchase your own tuner, and yes, it is definitely worth it! If you're trying not to break the bank, get the superchips tuner, because all of the built-in tunes also make your shifts "stiffer". For an extra $30, you can also get the full blown transmission tuner. Either way, you will certainly not regret the purchase.

The CAI is worth it just to get rid of the restrictive "Hemi hat" and becomes more valuable as you add things like exhaust and programmer. I didn't notice a sound increase with the CAI, but I'm pretty deaf anyway, and the radio is never turned off.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Renshi

Thanks for the replies. That definitely clears up some of my questions....but I do have one more.

To use a tuner is it a no brainer or do you need to be pretty computer savvy? I've overhauled drag engines before and I understand how an engine works but I have never used a tuner or scan tool.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:55 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Basically if you can read the English language and push a button you can install a tuner...

Old 12-15-2011, 12:06 PM
Rio94gt
Professional

I went with a superchips tuner. Very easy to use. It was a noticeable difference. Especially with the transmission. I could never go back to stock because that is garbage compared to how the truck shifts now. I run the 91 tune with 93 octane and it was a good bump in power and a little better fuel economy. I have a vararam intake. Pricey but it works. Welcome and hope that helps.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:04 AM
ricer
Veteran

I am not computer savvy at all and I installed my tuner in about 10 minutes, start to finish. It pretty much boils down to reading the prompts on the SC screen and turning the key on and off. I LOVE my tuner and would not be without it, I am literally talking night and day difference. I have the Superchips 3865 and it is well worth the money spent. I run the 91 performance tune with 93 octane and I have gained about 1.5 mpgs which actually justifies the added .20 per gallon. Hope this helps ya and welcome to the forum.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:18 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Be warned that if you have a win7 x64 PC, you will have issues with the software updates on the device. Nothing that can't be resolved, but a HUGE PITA. Do not let this deter you from the SC programmer though, it's still a fantastic device and the updates are not required to use the device.

Quick Reply: Newbie