3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Dual CB antenna SWR issues...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 08:09 PM
RanchinRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual CB antenna SWR issues...

This is for all of you Ram owners that have a dual CB antenna setup!

I'm running two Firestik II FS antennas that are mounted on brackets, bolted to my headache rack. The coax cable I'm using is Firestik brand, rated for dual setup, and is top quality. My radio is a Cobra 38WXST handheld, which has lasted me years running on a single antenna setup.

Problem is, when adjusting the SWR, I'm getting in the "red" on Ch. 1, but Ch. 19 and 40 are around 1.5-2.0 (normal). Usually this would indicate an electrically "short" antenna, where you would twist the nut at the tops of the antennas to lengthen them (I have the tunable tips). However, I just can't get the Ch. 1 to come out of the red. I have troubleshooted basically everything; tested continuity between all connections (and connections that should have no continuity), my coax cable is brand new and good quality and not pinched or twisted, etc. The only issues I can think of is either maybe the radio is not setup for dual antennas? Or, the antennas themselves; one is brand new I just ordered from Firestik, the other I've had for probably 5 years, and has some damage on the top tunable tip from where it fell off once (however I've used it since as a single setup with no issues). BUT, when I try to adjust the tips, the SWR only seems to respond to adjustments made on the brand new antenna.
Anyone else that runs dual CB's have an issue like this, or know how to rectify it? Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:09 AM
llerat

im not to that part yet, but where did you run the coax from anttennas into the cab>?

Old 01-06-2012, 03:45 AM
NoLimitzR1
Professional

1. What are you using to check your swr? A idiot light? built in meter? tuner?
2. Damage to the tip will give you undesired effect
3. are your antennas grounded?
I would try grounding first to see what you can get, I drive the big bad rigs Ive been through the CB shops learned a thing or two and built a few nice setups with Id call sub par equipment.
As i said try grounding the antennas they should be anyways I always do, look into a MonkeyMade brand antenna they kick ***, also Co-phase antennas basically are for looks most of my setups have been single antenna with a good metal antenna, a dual setup however looks cool though.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:19 PM
RanchinRam

@llerat: I ran the coax out the two little vent openings that you'll find between the cab and the bed of the truck...you'll have to remove the back seats out of the truck to gain access to them. I cute a little square out of each of the back fiberboard stuff behind the seats to reach the vent, then just shoved the cables through, pulled em up and out to the bed. I'll post pics if you need to see.

@NoLimitzR1: I'm using just a standard SWR tuner that I got from an electronics store. Everything is grounded, and I even went as far as to run separate copper wires from the mounts to the chassis to "super-ground" everything so I'm 100% sure, and I've tested the grounds and continuity with a Voltage/Continuity tester. I think I'm just going to replace that one antenna and see if that fixes it, I can't imagine what else it could be. If all else fails I can go to a truckstop a little ways from here and have them check it out. Thanks for your suggestions though!

Old 01-06-2012, 02:41 PM
llerat
Default Runnin coax

Pics would be great. Thanks a bunch, this helps alot.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:08 PM
rayk2002Ram

If you have a way to do it, test each antenna separate to make sure they are both good. You could have one antenna way off.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:02 PM
RanchinRam

@llerat: these 2 pics show where the coax is when it's pulled through the vents between cab and bed. I had to take the pics with my laptop camera so I apologize on the quality, but if you look past the yellow wire (my ground wire), you'll see the black coax behind it coming out of the vent, and going up and into the bed to my headache rack.

Attached Thumbnails Dual CB antenna SWR issues...-photo-on-2012-01-07-at-09.56.jpg   Dual CB antenna SWR issues...-photo-on-2012-01-07-at-09.55.jpg  
Old 01-07-2012, 01:08 PM
RanchinRam

@rayk2002ram: I actually did think of that later on as well. It tipped me off to do that after the only major response I got on the SWR tuner was from the brand new antenna, and the older slightly damaged one barely made a difference. Thanks for your help!

Old 01-13-2012, 10:15 PM
RanchinRam

GOOD NEWS! My new FireStik arrived today, tore the old one off and installed the new one, tuned the SWR perfect in about 10 minutes...the frustration is finally over! And the receiving signal is pretty crystal clear too

Quick Reply: Dual CB antenna SWR issues...