3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Tires, Wheels, Lift... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 12:52 AM
LoganSutter
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, thanks for that input, I don't know too much about that , everyone is telling me it will fit, how do you guys feel about that?

Old 01-02-2012, 01:21 AM
jasonyatco

I have an 03 dodge 2500. I put an cat 6.5" suspension lift on 37x17 and it rubs a lil bit, but it's a great look

Old 01-02-2012, 01:59 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Look at the sticky for wheel fitment --> https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...dodge-ram.html

There's a lift link in the first paragraph as well. There's another lift thread in the FAQ section as well.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:53 PM
AlterEgoCustoms
Default Recommendation!

Well Logan i had a few minutes last night to go over the sizing chart that was on the recent post and in my opinion there is too many differences in opinion....lol The issue is here that I am trying to give you input on what size of tire....in my opinion.....will work and the truck be FUNCTIONAL to DRIVE!!!!!! The speculation that has become of this topic is so overwhelming because of all the differences in opinion! For example, ones view of minor trimming and another persons view of minor trimming can be TWO DIFFERENT THINGS! I for one call minor trimming on the plastic lower valance "minor trimming" however we have put many sets of wheels and tires on many different sizes of lifts...check out my dodge gallery on my website, I am still working on it and will probably never get done...lol but thats a whole different story. Please make sure that you consider all input of everyone that is taking a few moments of their day to reach out, but consider all the factors such as wheel dimensions.... not just backspacing, tire - LOOK AT THE SPECS PEOPLE>>>>> Not all tires are the same so when it has a number on the side such as LT265/70R17, that number doesnt mean anything when you are measuring in 1/4s of an inch and DO NOT LOOK AT THE SPECS OF THE TIRE THAT IS INTENDED TO USE..... Not all tires are made at the same facility downtown..... they are different in height....weight.....OVERALL DIAMETER AND WIDTH...they even have the Section width which is the NUMBER ON THE SIDE OF THE TIRE.... this means that the width of the surface that comes into contact with the road surface. This NUMBER IS NOT THE SAME AS THE OVERALL WIDTH. They have a recommended wheel width range and also a recommended PSI your tire needs to be before any of the numbers on the side MEAN ANYTHING.
Sorry about that, so back to what I was saying.....If a recommendation for a tires size and wheel recommendation is measured by 1/4s of an inch....the vehicle is not in motion to measure that....IT WONT FIT on a FUNCTIONAL truck only in the PARKING LOT! This is why they dont guarantee it. I think it should not be said at all if there is too much debate. I hope that I have helped you and that this stays posted. Please take the time to look at some photos before you take the plunge. Let me know if there is any more questions.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:11 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by LoganSutter
I drive a BLACK 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quad Cab 2WD. I am running the stock 275/60/20 with the 20" stock chrome wheels. I am looking to lift the truck with Rough Country's 3" Suspension Lift. I have a few questions about this... I WANT MY TRUCK TO SIT STOCKY.

1. The lift mentions "Stock wheel must have 4.5" backspacing or an aftermarket wheel is required.".. I'm looking into the BLACK KMC XD Rockstar 20x8.5 on 5x5.5. There are 2 different backspacing options on this wheel, 5.14 backspacing with 10mm offset or 6.13 backspacing with 35mm offset. First of all, would either one of them work with the lift, or would I need spacers? Also, which would look better?

2. My next question deals with fitment. The lift RECOMMENDS 33x12.50 tires, however I am already running 33" tires stock. Can I run 305/55/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers without rubbing too much, or with minor trimming? Also, would these tires fit on the Rockstar wheels? Also, are these tires good? I'm looking for the longest lasting mud terrain tires.

3. Finally, just for opinions, is this a quality lift? Also, are there any other black aftermarket 20" wheels that look good on my truck? Also, I am attempting to "murder out" my truck, and I am fairly close. What is the easiest way to get my front and back bumpers black to match my truck? (They are chrome right now)

Lift : http://www.roughcountry.com/dodge_2wd_02-05_3.html
Wheels : http://www.kmcwheels.com/wheels/?whe...=3&groupid=36#
Tires : http://www.nittotire.com/Tire/trailgrappler#size
1)The 5.14 (10mm) would fit better, but may still cause rubbing with certain tires. As mentioned, not all tires of the same "size" are created equal, so 3 different tires marked 35x12.5R20 may all very well be different widths. If you have an issue, all you will have to do is add spacers.

2)With those 3" coils in the front, and being a 4x2, you can run 35x12.5 no problems. The Trail Grapplers have great reviews from everyone here who has them, so I can't imagine you could go wrong there.

3)Some people have issues with the springs going soft and losing some of the lift after a short time, but they may have improved the kit since then. The XD Monsters are also a great looking black wheel. For the bumpers, I think I would use plasti-dip, since it's so easy to fix rock chips with.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:02 AM
LoganSutter
Rookie

Wow thank you guys for being so helpful! I'm just so flustered about whether to get the 3" or 6" and 33s or 35s. Can somebody please persuade me either the 3" or 6"? Once again, not a mud toy, it's my daily driver but I love lifted trucks! Thanks

Old 01-03-2012, 05:56 PM
LoganSutter
Rookie

Im stuck with 3" lift with 20x8.5 with 33s or 6" with 20x10 with 35s. What do you guys think?

Old 01-09-2012, 06:11 PM
LoganSutter
Rookie

Probably going with 3" rough country lift with 20x8.5 Rockstars with 10mm offset and 5.14 Backspacing. 295/60/20 Trail Grapplers, how does that sound? Input?

Old 01-09-2012, 10:19 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

What does your wallet say? If you have the disposable income for 6"/35's, go for it, if it's what you really want. If you find yourself complaining about how much money you don't make, then keep it as practical as possible.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:12 PM
LoganSutter
Rookie

well im only 17, but im selling my boat for the tires, getting the rims for my late xmas present, so all i need to buy is the lift, and pay for installation. if i work for 1 month, i will have enough to buy my lift. I think im going to go 6" with the 35s. Does anyone have any oppositions to the 6" ? can i still park in parking garages? im not going to need new gears right? also, how much worse will my gas milage get? thanks guys

Quick Reply: Tires, Wheels, Lift... HELP!