3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Tires, Wheels, Lift... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 02:03 PM
LoganSutter
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires, Wheels, Lift... HELP!

I drive a BLACK 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quad Cab 2WD. I am running the stock 275/60/20 with the 20" stock chrome wheels. I am looking to lift the truck with Rough Country's 3" Suspension Lift. I have a few questions about this... I WANT MY TRUCK TO SIT STOCKY.

1. The lift mentions "Stock wheel must have 4.5" backspacing or an aftermarket wheel is required.".. I'm looking into the BLACK KMC XD Rockstar 20x8.5 on 5x5.5. There are 2 different backspacing options on this wheel, 5.14 backspacing with 10mm offset or 6.13 backspacing with 35mm offset. First of all, would either one of them work with the lift, or would I need spacers? Also, which would look better?

2. My next question deals with fitment. The lift RECOMMENDS 33x12.50 tires, however I am already running 33" tires stock. Can I run 305/55/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers without rubbing too much, or with minor trimming? Also, would these tires fit on the Rockstar wheels? Also, are these tires good? I'm looking for the longest lasting mud terrain tires.

3. Finally, just for opinions, is this a quality lift? Also, are there any other black aftermarket 20" wheels that look good on my truck? Also, I am attempting to "murder out" my truck, and I am fairly close. What is the easiest way to get my front and back bumpers black to match my truck? (They are chrome right now)

Lift : http://www.roughcountry.com/dodge_2wd_02-05_3.html
Wheels : http://www.kmcwheels.com/wheels/?whe...=3&groupid=36#
Tires : http://www.nittotire.com/Tire/trailgrappler#size

Old 01-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Catchin Zs
Professional

If a tire/ wheel sticks out about 2 or so inches from the wheel wells it looks the best is what I think. If I were you I'd go with a 17 or 18 inch rim instead, 20s are too big for the small 33s because of hardly any tire sidewall.. (I ran 33 mud grapplers on stock 20s and the rim was too much) Trail grapplers are a decent tire from what I've heard, but I would much rather run a Toyo Open Country MT. Probably the longest lasting mud tire around. Lastly, rough country is known as the low end, budget lifts with acceptable quality. If you are doing little to no off roading then it will suffice.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:36 PM
LoganSutter
Rookie

Thank you hat helped a lot. I was thinking about the 18s, but I'm already running the stock 20" on stock 33s and I like the look. I think I will stick with the 20s, but yeah I like the wheel to stick out about that much as well, so which backspacing/offset would be best for that? Also, I'll look into the open country's, If I remember correctly they were really expensive, or didn't have the right size, or something, but I'll check. And yeah, that's what I've heard, but I'm doing the shock upgrade, and I'll really only be using it for road driving. I might take it mudding 2 times a year max. Also, if anyone has any pictures of my truck lifted 3" with rims I would love to see how it looks.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Catchin Zs
Professional

I have -12 offset on my 17x9s im pretty sure and it sticks out about 2 inches with my 35x12.5s. Check around for the lowest priced set you can find. If you arent set on 33s, 35s would fit as well. Im sitting on 2 inches in the front and trimmed fenders on 35s. Check out the nitro shocks, they're usually better than the hydro ones from what I've heard.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:11 PM
LoganSutter
Rookie

Yeah man i would love if they sat like that.. so i guess i would go with the 10mm offset, which is what i was thinking. And honestly, I would love 35s, but the recommended tire size is 33x12.5. I would love to put 35x12.5 Trail Grapplers or Open Country MT, but everyone says it would rub so much. And yeah, I'm getting the Nitro shocks

Old 01-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Catchin Zs
Professional

Well go with what you want, but from what I've seen is that Dodge wheel wells are huge able to fit bigger tires with not as much lift. They're round unlike the squarish GM ones. The recommended size is 33 because they factored in off road manuevering. I scrub sometimes, but I love being 2 inches higher

Old 01-01-2012, 04:36 PM
LoganSutter
Rookie

Yah man. I found toyo mts for about 30$ per tire, not too shabby. Ive read a lot of reviews and people love both of them. I would love to use 35s, did you trim at all? And what size lift do you run? I am thinking rockstar 20x8.5 10m offset with 3" rough country lift and 33" trail grapplers or open country mts, or 35" trail grappler mts.. I'm just down to the size of the tires now, hmm? Help me please lol

Old 01-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Catchin Zs
Professional

Im running the Bilstein 5100s raised all the way up to give 2 inches in the front. Stock in the back. Put the 35 baja claws on there and it scrubbed when I barely turned the wheel. Trimmed the fenders and no scrub til full turn on a hill or something. I want more lift but just can't afford it. I off road all the time and am very happy. If you end up running 33s instead, you should consider going with a 17 or 18 inch rim. All your truck and your opinion though, just look up different lift wheel and tire setups.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:01 PM
LoganSutter
Rookie

idk what bilsteins are? I would love to run 35s, but Nitto makes a 34" Trail Grappler, and thats a fair medium.. I would love to run either one, I just have no idea how to trim. I would love the 35s, but is the rubbing significant? I really want 20s, so it's between the trail grapplers or open country's, and 33, 34, or 35 lol.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:07 PM
LoganSutter
Rookie

Also can you inform me how to trim, and is the trimming visible?

Quick Reply: Tires, Wheels, Lift... HELP!