3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2004 Ram HID or Driving Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Lpmeyer1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Ram HID or Driving Lights

I have a 2004 Ram 1500 quad 4x4. The lights are the worst, and I'm looking to upgrade the lights. I have talked to a local shop and they have suggested hid & driving lights in the bumper. I have the buckets holes, but they are empty. With budget in mind, which would be a better option. I can only afford to do one at a time.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:32 PM
kamicrazy99
Amateur

Use the search function to search Hella's behind the grill, good way to get some extra light.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Bent
Veteran

Hella's behind the grill - makes the hi-beams actually worthwhile.
Name:  IMG_0125.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  74.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0124.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  88.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0123.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  52.6 KB

mine are wired to the high beam on the passenger side, through a relay with a switch on the dashboard. That way I don't forget them on when I dim my lights and can shut them off completely. Oh yeah, I had to have my DRL's disabled to do this.

Last edited by Bent; 01-12-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:31 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Only problem is Hellas cant be used on city streets and suck. Out in the country is one thing and theyre fine out there but HIDs are good for both city and open road cruising.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:42 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/parts-s...id-lights.html
I dont see any ballasts though....which you'll need.
You can still use my HELLA install for a guide if need be.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:02 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

We finally had a dry day yesterday, so I was able to reinstall my KC lights behind the grille (had to take them off for inspection). I drive on a bunch of unlit mountain roads, and I couldn't believe the difference the lights made. It was the first time using them in THAT dark of a situation. It also made me realize how grossly inadequate the stock headlights are on my '05. Now, I just need to adjust them a bit better. They shoot a little high.

I can definitely see some HID's in my future, sometime. I'd like to wire the KC lights into my high beam switch, as well. I use hand controls to operate the throttle and brake, so both of my hands are busy at all times. Makes it kind of hard to keep reaching up and flipping off the toggle.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:17 AM
SpecialEdJon
Professional

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Only problem is Hellas cant be used on city streets and suck. Out in the country is one thing and theyre fine out there but HIDs are good for both city and open road cruising.
I use my Hellas all the time and i dont have any problems with them. If even drivin behind cops with them shining in their car and they didnt do anything.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator

Congratulations. That doesn't negate the fact that they are still "off road" lights and illegal. Just because you get away with it in BFE doesn't mean that anyone anyplace else will.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:59 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Not necessarily, depends on where you are. Where I lived in Georgia and still have the farm property, driving lights are 100% perfectly legal for street use, provided they are 55W or less and are mounted no higher than the factory headlights.

Interestingly, last I heard from a buddy who is a city manager up there, they have put a limit to just how bright "headlights" can be and are coming up with an agreeable solution on how to measure what is and isn't too bright, but the law being passed is based on numerous complaints about HIDs.

Where I am in Florida, ANY lights NOT in the factory location must be covered when on the street, whether day or night...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 01-14-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator

I know PA was pretty **** about it when I lived there growing up, though Arkansas really didn't seem to care if you had them (though I never had them on in the direct presence of constabulary). I know plenty of people who were ticketed in Pennsylvania, however. I always expected to get pulled over when I was up there visiting. Maybe they've relaxed on that a bit.

I know they aren't HID's, but we get flashed in the Jeep all the time. I've noticed other Jeeps are obnoxiously bright from the factory, as well.

Quick Reply: 2004 Ram HID or Driving Lights