3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Mod suggestions for lifted 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 06:48 PM
gHEMImorePower
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Mod suggestions for lifted 4x4

I've got an 06 ram 1500 with 4" rancho suspension lift, 305/55/20 hankook dynapro all-terrains with 20" chrome dale earnhardt jr. rims, black with stainless steel plate aries bull bar, 2 piaa offroad driving lights on bull bar, 8000k HID's on headlights and foglights, blacked out tailights, dual cherry bomb extreme muffler dumped, calipers painted red, jvc radio, and thatsabout itfor customization. Is there anything else that would add a nice touch to my truck? the truck is my hobby so I like to put my money towards it. I tried subs, didn't like em (returned), bought a bully dog gt tuner and decided I didn't want it (on craigslist now). So other than that what would be some good mods? By the way I'll need new tires soon.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:56 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

With a lift and larger than stock tires, 4.56 gears would be a no brained. A premium LSD like an Auburn or Detroit TruTrac would be a nice mod too...

Old 02-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Arctodus
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did you not like about the Bully dog?

Old 02-16-2012, 10:59 AM
gHEMImorePower
All Star

I have an aftermarket alarm system with remote start and the tunerdid not get along well with it. Once the tuner was installed, my alarm would randomly go off (btw it's crazy loud, the best money can buy) for no apparent reason. I literally was outside standing by it and witnessed this happening, that's how I know it was the tuner. Also I didn't really like having it attatched to my windshield because anyone could easily steal it and my hand would sometimes hit it when i turned the steering wheel. It would also occasionally fall off my windshield. Installing the download with my computer didn't work cuz my computer is a POS, but that's not important here. I believe it is not neccessary to have, it did help me watch my gas mileage for a while, but I soon forgot it was there and didn't ever check the gas mileage part.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:00 AM
gHEMImorePower
All Star

And Hammer, what's the point of those gears? I hear a lot about these gears and stuff, but why should I need them?

Old 02-16-2012, 02:13 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

More power to the ground, better launch, more torque at low speed, fuel economy (especially in town), less strain on the transmission (on paper anyway, you should see greatly increased transmission life).

Effective gearing decreases as tire size (diameter) increases, this coupled with the fact that these trucks are just about adequately geared with 32" tires at 3.92, if you have the 3.55s they are paltry to start with.

For the best combination of performance and fuel economy, you should try to achieve an effective ratio of about 4.10:1, especially in an automatic vehicle that essentially has two overdrive gears.

Given a stock 3.92 gear ratio and let's say you put 34" tires on it, your effective ratio is about 3.68, if you started with 3.55s then your effective ratio would be 3.44. Go to a 35" tire and it's reduced to 3.33 and coupled with the larger, heavier tires you probably can't get out of your own way.

Now that same truck with 35" tires with aftermarket 4.56 gears has an effective ratio of about 4.16:1, perfect to balance power with fuel economy.

A lot of "track guys" even will run 4.88 gears or taller for maximum hole shot...

Old 02-16-2012, 06:44 PM
gHEMImorePower
All Star

Are the expensive? I'm a senior in high school kinda trying to save for college.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:33 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

From what I have gathered here, gears (you'll need front and back) will run about $1,000 total with parts and labor, on the average. You'll need a place experienced with our trucks. If you can't afford it all in one shot, save for it instead of throwing a hundred here and a hundred there on minor mods that do nothing but add more words to your signature line.

Sans gears, I think an E-fan would be your best bet if you don't have one yet. Looking at less than $400 for a kit (last time I looked), can be installed in the driveway with a few tools, and is the best bang-for-the-buck mod you can do for your truck. Search on here. Hammer has given good explanations a few times on what the E-fan VS. clutch fan does, performance and economy-wise.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:23 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ginger2006
Are the expensive? I'm a senior in high school kinda trying to save for college.

You start a thread about mod suggestions and then say you are a kiddie saving for college, LMAO...

Depends on what your definition of expensive is. Gears should run you about $600 per axle for parts and labor but some shops can be as high as about $2000 for front and rear.

I can sell you a Dodgeform.com sticker for your truck. It won't add any HP but it's only $3...

Old 02-17-2012, 10:44 AM
gHEMImorePower
All Star

Okay, what I forgot to mention is that I got a 78 firebird and once it gets painted will get me some good money. And for stickers, I already have too many. Also, let's say I was to put the 35's on without the gears, what would the driving be like?

Quick Reply: Mod suggestions for lifted 4x4