3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Want to get better mpg. Where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 07:52 PM
Shagger325
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Non-MDS Hemi QC 4x4 should get roughly 13 MPG city/17 MPG highway even with semi-aggressive driving (assuming your not hauling/towing). Much under that and you've got issues. Most MPG losses are simply from not doing proper tune-ups (plugs, TB cleaning, EGR, etc.) at recommended intervals and/or running tires at low PSI...
I'm getting 275-290 miles a tank depending on the traffic.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:27 PM
Shagger325

I bought the truck 9 months ago with 52k on it. I have 69k on it now. The guy I bought it from only used it to tow his camper and boat but I don't think it's ever been tuned up. It has stock plugs and wires. I guess that would be the first place to start.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:10 PM
davb673
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a thread to tell you to avoid ethanol blends: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ems-again.html
A tune-up can't hurt. -- The 91tune on my Superchips yields another 1.5 mpg. -- CAI doesn't help, it does sound better though.

I might get flamed for this, but a warm air intake will help. The best method I've seen would be an aluminum dryer duct covering the exhaust manifold directly feeding your filter box. No, it will not yield the absolute HP, but do you really need that every day? Some sort of fuel heating device will also help. Again, not a high HP item... Check SVO or WVO websites for diesels... Gasoline doesn't auto-ignite until over 500*, so even your 195* coolant won't vaporize it, if you could get it that hot. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_point And your fuel system is pressurized to about 50psi... Part of the energy an engine uses is to heat the air/fuel mix, so if they are already warmer.......

Aerodynamics: 3rd gen RAMs have a horrible drag coefficient of 0.52. It's about 0.1 above the 2nd gen RAMs. The only 3rd gen RAM that slick is the RAM SRT10 (Cd=0.42). My truck gets 20% above EPA right now==>thanks to aero mods. I have a belly panel under 2/3 of the truck, have partially blocked off the front grill (maybe 33%), some side skirts, and have smooth (clear) wheel covers.

I also run Mobil1, an E-fan, and have installed panels to direct max airflow through the radiator (to partly compensate for the grill block). I also installed a Flowmaster Y-pipe inplace of the factory squashed Y-pipe. A bed cover will also help.

A bed-topper will not help, due to the weight and drag increase. The factory 42-pound 20in wheels don't help either. Driving without the tailgate doesn't help; it increases drag.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:03 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

MPG is all RELATIVE!
Firt, I'd start with not idling your truck. I let my car idle for a good 20minutes every morning before hopping in and taking off. That along dwindles down my mpg numbers. It's a 25mpg solid car and I'm banking right about 17.5mpg because I let it warm up everytime I get into it.
I tried one week just starting and taking off within 2 minutes and my mpg's jumped up to 23mpg! That's a 5mpg loss just for idling it 1/2 each day(10min usually before leaving work)
I don't drive my truck often so i cannot comment on the specific numbers for cold starts, but it's gotta be worse for a truck when comparing warm-ups!
I could easliy see 10mpg if I let my truck idle before getting into it everyday or letting it idle for 10min while pumping, or idling while sitting in a McDonald's eating a burger...etc...

Old 02-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Dave M
Rookie

Originally Posted by Shagger325
Lol. I love the truck. I knew the gas would be bad but since getting it I've been traveling over 100 miles a day for work. It adds up. Anyway to cut it helps. I own a decking company an all my work has been based in another county. My 20' box truck gets the same mpg :/
I feel your pain. My daily commute is 112 miles. The pump is back to stopping at $100.00 without filling the truck yet. I fill it twice a week.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:14 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Thank our government for the prices at the pump. Mild winters and oil basically not going up per barrel would have you think that gas prices would at least remain stable, but our leaders sold off most of the reserves we didn't need due to the mild winter to China to put about a 1/2 of 1% dent in all the debt our government owes them so we get to pay for it at the pumps...

Quick Reply: Want to get better mpg. Where to start?