3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 11:15 AM
rideon20z
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes probably no cam for me on the near future. Sorry that the cortex really isn't worth it then for me but it is looking like the 3865 is in the near future. Thanks again everyone.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:34 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

The Cortex and the 3865 are the exact same tuner. They tune with the exact same programs and can both be upgraded with the transmission update. Their difference lies in the Cortex warranty against engine defect caused by the tuner. The 3865 has no such warranty, and the Cortex loses that warranty if the transmission upgrade is added.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:48 PM
rideon20z
Veteran

bgbluram2 i pm u and also read your post again , so the cortex is just a little much for what i have , but all the same as the 3865 , if im looking at this right !! yours is also a lot cheaper than a new one also !!! let me see what to do here and ill get back to you , thanks guys for all the replies , been healpfull !!!

Old 02-27-2012, 02:31 PM
bgbluram2
All Star

Originally Posted by 08HEMI1500
The Cortex can't get the trans upgrade so the 3865 is the better of the two

This is incorrect information.

The Cortex is the exact same tuner as a 3865 only with the Cortex, you get a warranty.

You CAN in fact download the exact same trans tune as the 3865, however, if you chose to do so (which I did not) then it voids out the warranty provided by Superchips. Hope this helps.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:32 PM
bgbluram2
All Star

Originally Posted by Brandon Anderson
The Cortex and the 3865 are the exact same tuner. They tune with the exact same programs and can both be upgraded with the transmission update. Their difference lies in the Cortex warranty against engine defect caused by the tuner. The 3865 has no such warranty, and the Cortex loses that warranty if the transmission upgrade is added.
I guess it would have helped to keep reading haha. Yeah exactly what Brandon Anderson said. Well put.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:32 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, the Cortex and 3865 run the same tune, the Cortex has warranty and if I'm not mistaken includes diesel trucks so it's kinda like buying a 3865 and a 3855 in one (while keeping in mind it can still only do one truck at one time). Yes, you can download the optional transmission shift scheduling for the Cortex as well and Yes, it does void the powertrain warranty portion of the Cortex.

So, if you don't plan on tranny tunes or you plan on trading your truck on a diesel in the near future and don't want to have to deal with selling/buying another tuner, the Cortex is a good choice BUT if you plan on the tranny shift option, then you might just as well save your money and get the 3865.

As far as which brand - I can only speak for the '04 Ram's PCM but I've run both on mine and there is NO COMPARISON - with no tranny support at all (and I'm not just talking the optional shift program), the Diablo doesn't compare to the Superchips IMO.
Now this is because Diablo does no tranny tuning at all on the '04 while even the canned SC firms shift pressure, does some torque management reduction and mildly moves shift points. The Diablo does do some this on newer trucks, but not the '04.

It's a shame that SC doesn't offer custom tuning or Diablo doesn't offer transmission support for '04s, because I'd have one hell of a cam in my truck today that I had custom ground (that I've since sold). There are ways I could have done it, but I wasn't prepared to go to the lengths it would have taken to be able to install it, not give up tranny support but still be able to tame the cam...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 02-27-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:57 PM
rideon20z
Veteran

thanks hammer well put !! i think the price for the cortex is right if i dont do the tranny tune and im looking for the performance and a few other changes ,

Quick Reply: Tuner