3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Pinion & ring question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 03:38 PM
jaimie54
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinion & ring question

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram quad 4x4 with 5.7 hemi ... I had a vibration in the truck .. kinda of an anoying thing ... I had the dealer check it .. they found the main driveshaft was 20 outa balance and I had a werid wear pattern on the ring in the differentual and the pin was moving up and down. There was no sign of a over heating of the rear end ...

The only thing that was wrong with this truck was a vibration .. that's it .. nothing else ...But the dealer thinks the rear differential is bent and wants to replace the whole back end ...

any thoughts on this ....

Old 02-26-2012, 04:18 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If this is warranty, let him replace anything he wants to on his dime. You would have pretty much had to whack the hell out of the axle to bend it. I can see an out of balance drive shaft or a shot seal wearing a poor pattern in the ring and pinion over time. If it's your dime then I'd say let him balance the shaft and at least see how it rides for a bit. Now if the ring & pinion are shot then it's another story...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 02-26-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:47 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the site BTW

Old 02-26-2012, 06:22 PM
jaimie54

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
If this is warranty, let him replace anything he wants to on his dime. You would have pretty much had to whack the hell out of the axle to bend it. I can see an out of balance drive shaft or a shot seal wearing a poor pattern in the ring and pinion over time. If it's your dime then I'd say let him balance the shaft and at least see how it rides for a bit. Now if the ring & pinion are shot then it's another story...

Yup it's a warranty job .. they are trying to find a diiferental now and repace it .. Yes I agree .. if they want to repace everything ..on the insurance .. l'm going with that ,, Now getting a replacement ... is the next step

Old 02-27-2012, 01:40 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jaimie54
Yup it's a warranty job .. they are trying to find a diiferental now and repace it .. Yes I agree .. if they want to repace everything ..on the insurance .. l'm going with that ,, Now getting a replacement ... is the next step

Jaimie,

Let us know if what they do takes care of the vibration you have been experiencing.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:20 PM
jaimie54
Default Rear end problem

I talked to the Dealer today ... they tell me that the Seals and bearings on the pin on the differrentual are ok .. and that the color of the gears show ithe case wasn't over heated ..

The only signs of damage on this driveshaft and differentual is the odd wear pattern on the ring gear and that the Driveshaft was 20 outa balance .. everthing else is ok ... that's it ...

Obvisously someone did something to this truck before I got it ...

Everyone is puzzled as to this weird wear pattern ..

I wondering if it wasn't a factory defect ,, why would the seals and bearings show no damage .. but the ring gear is worn ...

It's in the hands of the warranty company now ....

You guys have any idea's ..

Old 03-14-2012, 07:04 PM
jaimie54

Well the dealer had my truck for over almost a month .. but .. they fixed the problem .. we changed the drive shaft and replaced the whole differentual and that's it ... nooo ... more vibration ... They haven't a clue what happend to the rear end and the ring gear ...

Old 03-14-2012, 07:43 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Well if you're not the original owner it'd be pretty impossible to say but anyway, glad it's taken care of - finally...

Old 03-14-2012, 08:10 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Welcome to the site BTW
"BTW"? Who's that?

Quick Reply: Pinion & ring question