3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Help me design my lift+wheels, need some creative input!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Folkmantis
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SO i have decided against the Terra graps. They are not aggressive enough for my taste or my needs. They are definitely down the path I want though. If there is a tire similar to a Trail Grappler in looks and tread aggresiveness, please tell me. I was looking at the BFGoodrich M/T's and they are what I want, but they don't come in the right size for me.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Folkmantis
Rookie

Originally Posted by SpecialEdJon
i body lift wont level the truck so i would go with a level kit and its cheaper. 16s wont fit the min is 17s. V-Tec Raptor good looking rim its not really flashy. Nitto Terra Grappler AT are around 200$ each its a good looking tire and alot of people run them Nitto Terra Grappler AT
Sorry for not responding to you earlier, I missed your post.

I LOVE THESE WHEELS. I am going with them for sure, assuming I can get the extra hundred or so saved on tires. Thanks for pointing these out, they are MEAN.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:00 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Why go for a tire that looks like a Trail Grappler and not a Trail Grappler?

Personally, I wouldn't put a BFG tire on my truck if they were given to me, but that's me and I've had TERRIBLE luck with two sets. Also BFGs are among the higher priced tires so you're not sticking to your question posted about a "budget build".

About the closest tire to a Trail Grappler is a Toyo Open Country M/T, which the Nitto (who is owned by Toyo) is loosely based off of. But Toyos tend to run about 25% or so higher than their Nitto brothers...

Old 03-01-2012, 06:03 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by Larry08
Installing a body lift is a bit time consuming, but its not to difficult. If you have the tools, moderate mechanical ability and some good help, you should be able to tackle it in a weekend. I installed a PA ( performance accessories ) kit on my truck and was very happy with the quality and fit. Also seems to be one of the most popular body lift kits out there. Some guys on here also like the kit from Zone
I've done three of my own body lifts, interesting one each on a Ford (diesel), a Chevy Z71 and my old 2nd Gen Ram. Plus a couple for other people and I kinda view the install as a WHOLE BUNCH of fairly simple, separate tasks. None of which are terribly difficult, but as a whole are VERY time consuming...

Old 03-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Folkmantis
Rookie

I found some BFG's for 260 each, but they are 33's, and above that they skyrocket. Will look at Toyo's, but any other suggestions? I want 34's on these sexy wheels
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VTW-63232/

Old 03-01-2012, 06:43 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Those wheels are not going to fit - 16" won't clear the calipers on a 3rd Gen. A little narrow at 8" for a 12.5" tire too, 12" would be about the max.

I really have never done inexpensive tires, so others are going to have to chime in. I haven't put a tire that didn't say either Mickey Thompson or Dick Cepek on the side on any of my pickups in about 15 years. They are among the highest cost, but because they wear so well, over the long run they end up being cheaper.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Folkmantis
Rookie

Gah, I was confused because the first post by SpecialEdJon said those wheels, but he said that they had to be 17's. However they only come in 16's.

EDIT: Ok, so they do come in a 17.....but can someone point out where I can buy some???? I have looked everywhere and can't find the V-tec Raptor 17's anywhere!

Last edited by Folkmantis; 03-01-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Help me design my lift+wheels, need some creative input!