3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

A little help with headlight assembly removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 12:40 AM
bigjrussell
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really, the only tricks are the plug access in the wheel well and the push in fittings on the back of the housing. Not much too em at all. You'll see when you start taking them apart, it really is a quick job.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:37 PM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just took both my front headlights off and added Phillips Extreme headlight bulbs. Same wattage but MUCH brighter. I am impressed. An internet search has a few claims of people saying they only last a year. Even if that is the case, i am fine with that. I paid $30.00 delivered (no tax) and it's a small price to pay for much better visibility.

The one issues i had with my headlight housing was the bolt in the wheel well. It's basically a coarse thread stud held in place by a nut. The nut is not meant to loosen. It's obviously been installed at the factory using a not too common female Torx bit to tighten the stud while the nut is held in place. When it works as designed, the end user (the truck owner) puts a socket on the nut and when he or she loosens it, the stud unscrews from the headlight housing. Well on one side of mine, the nut loosened up. So when i tried to tighten the headlight back in place again, the nut simple tigthened against the sheet metal holding it rock solid and NOT tightening the headlight housing. Female Torx bits are not something you typically find in a local hardware store and it's so small, using a pair of pliers is a waste of time. I had to pull the plastic fender well out and remove and clean the stud, then retighten it. What should have been a 10 minute job was 3 hours.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:56 AM
Dead2Fall
Captain

ouch, I just undo the 3 bolts in front and mine pops right on out the front of the truck.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:30 AM
slakker25rs
Professional

Double ouch....05 Ram and I have (3) meteric #10 bolts. It always irritated me because the lower of the 3 puts the wrench extension on the bumer paint and I do not like that.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:42 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by slakker25rs
Double ouch....05 Ram and I have (3) meteric #10 bolts. It always irritated me because the lower of the 3 puts the wrench extension on the bumer paint and I do not like that.
I know, a REALLY LONG 1/4" drive extension comes in handy here

Old 03-20-2012, 05:43 PM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dead2Fall
ouch, I just undo the 3 bolts in front and mine pops right on out the front of the truck.
The two bolts in front are simple to get to and nowhere near the paint. But that poorly designed back bolt/stud sucks.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:04 PM
ricer
Veteran

I am starting a new thread "New headlights Installed" please check it out. I agree with the stud and nut deal. I got the drivers side nut right off no problem but when it came to the passengers side it was a different story. I could not get the nut to back off it just kept backing the stud out of the headlight assembly. But the nice part about it backing the stud out is as it did it also popped the clip out in the top corner. I was really glad I had a towel draped over my bumper because when the stud came out the headlight assembly dropped out and was hanging by the wires.

Quick Reply: A little help with headlight assembly removal