3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Reaair Manual

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 08:31 PM
JTinker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reaair Manual

couple questions...

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4.7l automatic, 2 wheel drive..

what is a good repair manual? I like to do everything I can basically because Im poor

also I have the 4.7l with the factory towing package... how can I up the power and mileage a little bit?

thanks

Old 12-06-2023, 06:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

You want the factory service manual. They are published by Bishko, and you can get them in PDF format for around 30 bucks or so. (usually) Paper copies run into the 100's.

Old 12-06-2023, 11:35 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 216 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by JTinker
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4.7l automatic, 2 wheel drive..
what is a good repair manual? I like to do everything I can basically because Im poor
Couple answers:
Dunno what a reaair manual is lol, but the factory service & parts manual are what you want:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ea3c8...anual.pdf/file
https://www.mediafire.com/file/t6l7b...anual.pdf/file

Originally Posted by JTinker
also I have the 4.7l with the factory towing package... how can I up the power and mileage a little bit?
Mileage not so much, it's a baby 8 moving over 5000 lbs around.
Minor improvements with a handheld tuner can be had. Power isn't as easy to come by as it used to be. Old school fun recipe for the 4.7 in the Rams was to bring it up to the old 4.7HO specs; these versions were rated like 260hp with a forged crank, special cams and a matching intake manifold. These parts are near impossible to find nowadays, so for cams it's either custom grinds or the aftermarket (one or both will require aftermarket lash caps to go with). The HO manifold was replaced by the 2008-13 intake but since the newer version (rated 310hp) uses an electronic throttle body, an adapter plate is required to use the old cable one. The 08+ heads (better than previous versions) have been shown to work as do the 08+ cams in the older engines, though they don't seem to quite match the old HO cams power wise. The forged cranks are near impossible to find as well.
The other option is boost. Airram.com used to have an adapter to put the Eaton blower from a Cobra Mustang on the 4.7, then you just had to source everything else. A well documented build was done here.
The STS turbo system uses a remote turbo plumbed into the exhaust under the truck which then has a pipe that feeds back up to the engine. They used to have a 4.7 specific kit; I honestly don't know if they're still in business but if not something similar can be custom built.
A later addition were these guys: https://www.boostedtech.com/product/...-supercharger/ Seems like they have a pretty comprehensive kit going.

Quick Reply: Reaair Manual