3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Opinion on which truck to buy - $5k - $10k range

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:42 AM
eisej
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinion on which truck to buy - $5k - $10k range

So the wife is insisting that I get a newer / used truck to replace my 96 Ram 1500. It may have it's issues, ABS, Parking, Chk Engine lights on, GEN light comes and goes, had a small electrical fire under the dash the other week (just a wire that got pinched between the knee bolster and steering column), the signature Ram rust around the wheel wells, etc, but I've grown fond of it. Not to mention I've got 360k (km) on her. She is one hell of a truck. Always starts on the first turn, never let me down and that 318 does not burn/leak a drop of oil. Unfortunately I need something that is reliable by fact and not faith in order to make it to work every day.

So I wanted to get some opinions of a RAM pickup 4x4 that would cost in the $5k - $10k range. I posted in the 3rd Gen forum since this is the year I'm thinking would fit my price range. I'm not looking for anything definitive but just some opinions on what to consider or maybe some of your favorites. I appreciate everyone taking the time to read my post and of course any replies/opinions.

Thanks for reading.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Keep the truck and spend the money on a cheap, used import econobox to get back and forth to work.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:59 AM
Ellis42
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well your question is kinda confusing. You tell us how much you want to spend and that you want a 3rd Gen Truck. Sounds like you know what you want so check local listings on trucks.

But I agree with Chet Ubetcha, buy cheap rice burner and the money you saved spend some fixing stuff on truck

But if your mind is made up on new truck check local listings for 3rd Gens. around your price range

Old 04-12-2012, 11:19 PM
eisej
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was kind of thinking that there are different years maybe one year had more problems than others. Maybe there were recalls? Maybe there was a function in one year that wasn't available in another year. Or what about motors? If it was that confusing for you than maybe you shouldn't reply. I know I could do my own research but there is no substitute for real life experience from real owners.

And by the way a truck is needed as part of my job. Thanks for the two replies.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:19 AM
Ellis42
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man just trying to help out, just did really understand you question.....

Quick Reply: Opinion on which truck to buy - $5k - $10k range