3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2wd vs 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 04:47 AM
rayoj
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2wd vs 4wd

Ok fellas looking for some opinions here. I am looking for a new(used) truck. I started looking for a slightly used 4WD but there are not very many available in the area that I live. There are however plenty of 2WD trucks. The only reason I was looking for a 4WD truck was that the wife wants to get some quad's and go out to the desert. Now when I say desert I'm not talking about the middle of nowhere, it's just barely off the beaten path and still very close to other folks. My question is this, if I don't go with a 4wd am I setting myself up to get stuck alot? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:47 AM
Ellis42
Veteran

From experience you will have a hard time, but also depends on how deep sand is

Trust me you can't go wrong with a 4x4, not sure where you live but they are great to have in winter

I would never own a 2wd truck, just my opinion

Old 04-30-2012, 02:36 PM
itsahemi4x4
Professional

Tis better to have and not want, then to want and not have grasshopper! In other words, if you get the 4wd, you may never use it, but its there if you need it. If you don't get it, odds are just because you didn't get it, you will need it becuz you got stuck!

Old 04-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You already answered your question...

Do you really want to be "that guy"? "That guy" always gets stuck, is never prepared, should have bought a 4x4. I owned 1 truck that was 2wd... it was a S10 Chevy... I swore it would be my last 2wd truck ever.

Your going out to play in the sand, you need to be prepared, and be ready for whatever ruts are in your way... think of how much sooner you can get home to drink beer instead of out in the desert, digging your lone **** out of the sand.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:14 PM
hillbilli
Veteran

Originally Posted by itsahemi4x4
Tis better to have and not want, then to want and not have grasshopper! In other words, if you get the 4wd, you may never use it, but its there if you need it. If you don't get it, odds are just because you didn't get it, you will need it becuz you got stuck!
Gotta love Murphys Laws.

Once you go 4x4 youll never look back.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:28 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

you don't need 4x4 if you got common sense and a winch like most off-roaders have. pretty much all my dad has driven for the last 10 years is rwd and i don't remember him ever getting stuck even if he was driving on bald tire in the middle of a Canadian winter with a standard transmission truck. i have also seen somebody with the identical truck as my dad's get stuck and it had brand new tires on it but the guy driving had no common sense.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:10 PM
itsahemi4x4
Professional

He said he lives in the desert. WInching off a cactus is not highly recomended. Park rangers frown upon that sort of thing, and out in the sand dunes, their really is not a whole lot else to winch to. Wheeling in Canada versus the desert is two totally different animals dude.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:52 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

if you get stuck with a 2wd you would most likely get even more stuck with a 4x4 if you don't know what you are doing. you telling me there is always something to hook a winch to up here in Canada? not true. you can carry stakes that are about 5ft long and pound them most of the way into the ground and hook a winch to it. now if you serious want to not get stuck you carry a farm jack and a couple patio stones. 1 under the farm jack and once you get the back end high enough you can toss a patio stone under each tire.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:15 PM
itsahemi4x4
Professional

Well there must be some reason why 99 percent of the trucks at the dunes here in AZ and Cali are 4x4? Pounding a stake in the sand doesn't work so well. I just think that if he has the option to get 4wd he should. If nothing else, it adds to resale value.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:39 PM
Ellis42
Veteran

I think your an idiot if you get stuck with a 2wd(yes i have been stuck with my work truck(2wd) and i agree i was an idiot for trying to go down the roads I got stuck on but I had no choice as its part of my job to take certain roads to do my route otherwise I would have never taken it in a 2wd and a few times I had to take my personal truck(4wd) out to pull out my work truck and I had no problem going down same road and never came close to being stuck) due to you should know what you can and can't go through, that being said same goes with a 4wd but as for what crazzywolfie said about getting more stuck with 4wd well unless your off roading meaning pushing your truck more and more then yes you probly get stuck also but for daily driving you could give the best driver you know a 2wd and someone half the "common sense" as first guy and I would be willing to put cash on it the 4wd will still out do the 2wd any day unless the 4wd is a Ford hahaha

But back on the subject of the thread just go 4wd you will love it, and you will be able to a lot more with it and take more back roads and go off the beaten path and have fun

Good way to look at it is a 2wd will spin rear tires and just dig a deeper hole and become even more stuck as for 4wd you have all tires going at once limiting the rear wheel spin and even if they start to spin from lack of traction the front tires can still hook up and help get you out of the "sticky situation" haha