3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

60" tailgate LED strip owners chime in plz...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Yeti123
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have the recon light bar, and trust me, spend the extra money and buy recon for this. I've had it for about a year with no problems. I have had 3 other brands as well as my friend going through 2 different brands, plasma glow, bully, and some other brand and none of them lasted 6 months.( led's going out, adhesive falling off) With recon you have the option to either use screws or the adhesive tape that comes with it.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:07 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool. Thanks guys. Thanks for the pic.

Mike, is that running lights or brake light ouput?

Old 05-05-2012, 09:36 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the tails. Here're the brakes:

Old 05-05-2012, 10:16 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DD, i also got a recon white lightning bar, when i had my bumper, i installed it just low enough to put the tool in the hole for the spare, i found if i went any higher my tailgate would hit it, also, the way recon does there bars now is 6 plastic bars with 3m adhesive tape stick to the truck and the light bar is held on to it by screws, i always keep a multibit driver in my truck, you could always remove the screws to access that hole for your spare, which i would have to do now that i have a roll pan.....i also agree spend the extra change for recon....

Old 05-05-2012, 03:33 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Mike, doesnt look like the lightbar illuminates any brighter for the brakes as it does for parking lights. They are suppose to be 5-6x's brighter. Maybe you have aloose connector or something?

Thanks Jay. will do.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:21 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

So, I pulled the trigger on a Recon White Lightning Tailgate bar.
The Fire Red tailgate bar didn't have white reverse lights and was $20 cheaper. I don't really need the extra reverse lights but they can't hurt either...lol
Best price online I could find was $79.95 shipped. Wasn't dealing with open box Egay items. Sick of the bait-n-switch many of those people pull. Yeah, it might be a recon box, but a generic no name bar....
I'll post pics when it's up.

Thanks for all the help fellas!!!!!!!!!!

ohh, and I wont be mounting it to my tailgate either like the video above...rofl. Yeah, it's called a "Tailgate bar", but goes below the tailgate..hahaha

Old 05-11-2012, 10:10 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

So, I got my Recon White Lightning 60" Light bar in the mail and installed it. Installation took about 10min. I had to figure ot how I wanted to mount it, center it, then peel and stick. I didnt hook up the reverse wire yet though as that needs to be spliced. Brakes, turn..etc are all in the 4pin trailer plug that just plugs into my 4pin plug under the bumper. I never use it so it'll always be plugged in!
My trailer plugs are always packed with Dielectric grease so it was simple and guaranteed to work!
The lightbar came with 5 plastic tabs that the lightbar screwed to. The tabs do 2 things, space over the spare tire grommet and allows the lightbar to be unscrewed from the tabs that are double sided taped to the body to access spare tire hole. Pretty neat and for the rarity of me needing my spare, it's a perfect solution.
I wasnt sure how the casing of the Lightbar would look, but it has a Smoked Lens so it is pretty nice when not lit and barely even noticeable.

Here are my brake lights during the daylight hours.

Here are some pics of my running lights at night.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:15 PM
pitbull24
Veteran

Looks good dog. I've been kicking the idea around for a long time, but it hasn't grown on me enough yet. I actually wonder how much light the reverse lights will throw out on that. Splice soon, so I can see!

Old 04-30-2022, 03:18 PM
Longhorn daddy

Originally Posted by dirtydog
OK. So, I wanna get me one of these, or make one myself. If I make one, I won't have all the fancy features of directionals, reverse..etc It'd be a straight up brake light.

It seems the spare tire access port would be covered up by one of these? If you go above or below the access hole, the lights look like they'd be blocked by the tailgate or the bumper accordingly. WTF?

I was planning on buying another SMD strip in red and cutting that access hole out so there are no issue's. It will show that I;m missing an LED when i do that, but I'd rather buy something pre-made especially since it comes all pre-wired for your trailer plug.

Any help here would be much appreciated. Maybe even a pic to show me what you got would be ideal.

Thanks broski's.
I bought the Opt7 Redcon opt-7 light bar. My problem is mounting it. 1sy issue is the Spare tire port opening. and my 2nd problem is the Tailgate Umbilical cord that controls my tailgate locks, and my back-up camera. I spent a heap of money on this light bar and cannot use it!

Quick Reply: 60" tailgate LED strip owners chime in plz...