3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Flowmaster 40 to CB extreme/vortex

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 10:02 PM
blackhemi05
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flowmaster 40 to CB extreme/vortex

so i have the flowmaster 40 single in dual out with ss style piping on my 5.7 hemi. Ive had the exhaust for a lil over a year or so and honestly i thought it was going to be louder by the way the exhaust guy talked. He tried to talk me into the 50 because he thought the 40 would be too loud. So now iv been thinking about getting something louder and with better flow like the cherry bomb extreme or vortex. Im young so i am in the stage of the louder the better but do not want to do staight pipes.

i like the screaming roar sound and the crackling of some exhaust on trucks. will the vortex or extreme give me this? im still keeping the same pipe setup just different muffler, something somewhat louder than the 40

whats yalls advice on this? i have seen where guys think the 40 is loud and it does the job but it just isnt loud enough for me

Old 07-16-2012, 10:17 PM
Ellis42
Veteran

The extreme will be much louder and have much better flow, I believe the extreme would fit to what your looking for

Old 07-16-2012, 10:36 PM
blackhemi05
Rookie

yea im leaning towards the extreme because i havent found many threads about the vortex. Hopefully the extreme or vortex will give me the sound that im looking for. thanks for your input

Old 07-17-2012, 12:39 PM
jesskidoo

I cut the stock muffler out an went with the extreme single in/out with the stock piping from the cat back. its not loud at all. Louder in the higher rpms but still not crazy like you want. Best of all its only $48 on amazon and i payed local muffler shop 75 to bend a small piece a pipe and weld it in.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:48 PM
blackhemi05
Rookie

yea i like the sound of straight pipes but i know its not good for the truck. I was thinking would removing the resonator because I have heard that this could make the exhaust a little louder? Any thoughts about doing this instead of getting a new muffler

Old 07-17-2012, 10:07 PM
blackhemi05
Rookie

so i looked under my truck today and pretty sure my resonator is already removed. All I really saw was my muffler and then a smaller looking muffler in front of my leveling keys, im guessing this was the catalytic converter maybe? all I know is that i did not have three different muffler like items like iv read.

I am guessing that if I am right then i cannot remove my resonator since it seems i do not have one anyways. So my second question is to get the throaty loud exhaust that i want should I get a cherry bomb sido or put my resonator back on and remove my muffler? any thoughts

my only problem is I feel like if i remove my muffler and get my resonator back on that I will not have much backpressure and i could end up messing something up down the road

Old 07-17-2012, 10:46 PM
gHEMImorePower
All Star

Mine crackles if I rev it up on the first start of the day only. Wish it did more :/ By far the SECOND best muffler out there (cb glasspack is best) and the vortex is about the same as flowmaster 40 just better flow

Old 07-17-2012, 11:38 PM
blackhemi05
Rookie

so really none of the cherry bombs are louder than the 40 they just have better flow? I guess all the trucks i hear are straight piped but I cant bring myself to do something that generally isnt good for the truck

Old 07-17-2012, 11:57 PM
gHEMImorePower
All Star

No the 40 is quiet lmfao. The extreme is way louder and then the glasspack is louder than that. No offense but flowmaster sucks unless you're talking about the super 10

Old 07-18-2012, 12:11 AM
Ellis42
Veteran

Originally Posted by gHEMImorePower
No the 40 is quiet lmfao. The extreme is way louder and then the glasspack is louder than that. No offense but flowmaster sucks unless you're talking about the super 10
Have to disagree I have hear many Flowmasters along with mine and they sound mean and yes they don't have as good as flow as cherrybombs or magnaflow but still better than a stock muffler so my point is Flowmasters give good sound just not best on performance and I love my Super 40 it's deep roar and not over the top stupid loud like glasspacks but I know for my next muffler I will be getting a cherrybomb extreme which is still loud but not like glasspacks

Quick Reply: Flowmaster 40 to CB extreme/vortex