3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Thoughts on tire dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I figure this is as good as place as any to share this...

If I ever put another BFG product on my truck, it'll be to soon.

In June of this year, I reported to BFG that my tire was losing chunks of tread, shortly after, I added to the file that another tire was also losing tread. After having them inspected locally, they agreed to replace, balance/install 2 tires. I decided to wait until we were in Calgary to get it done as no dealer wanted to do the replacement up here as I was not a local customer.

2 months later, we were in Kelowna for 2 weeks, so I decided to address the concern. I got word back from BFG, that would cover 25% of 1 tire. WTF! I had to go up and up the chain, and finally spoke to someone at BFG stating they'd cover 75% of the 2x tires, but would not cover mount/balancing. The Kelowna KAL tire put 2 BFG AT/KOs on the rear of my truck and sent me on my way. We left for Calgary the next morning, and as soon as we got up to highway speeds, the truck shook like crazy! It was diagnosed in Salmon Arm that both tires were out of round... I'm thinking they may have known this in Kelowna, saw the Red Alberta plates on the back of the truck and sent me on my way. The Salmon Arm shop was closing for the day and didn't have time to help me, so we drove through to Calgary.

I stopped in Calgary and went to a Kal tire... I told them my situation, and their response was, "Another one!?".. apparently there's a lot of people running into out of round tires from BFG... So, I'm severely upset at this point, looking to chew someone out that deserves it, but they are 600kms away.. the A.Manager at Kal offers to replace the 2 warranty BFG with 2x Nitto, and I can at my option (which I took) replace the front BFGs with Nittos for Dealer Cost. The KAL Tire in Calgary saved me as a customer, and I am VERY happy with the road manners of the Nitto TerraGrapplers.. I was a big Toyo Fan from my experience with OpenCountry ATs on my 1500, and I'm a returning fan and likely a lifetime fan. We use Coopers for winter, and I'll be using Nittos for Summer for the forseable future.

So.. my suggestion... avoid BFG like the plague... go with Toyo/Nitto!

Last edited by Cthulhu; 08-26-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:56 PM
wingnutks
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have loved my Copper Zeon. 50,000 miles and counting.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:35 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008dodgeram1500
dont get zeons I had them on my other dodge, They have 23000 miles on them and there already at the wear line never spin my tires. My tire shop was all about the zeons when they first came out and now they wont even sell them because they have had so many complaints about them.

Originally Posted by wingnutks
I have loved my Copper Zeon. 50,000 miles and counting.

This is why tire threads suck, LMAO...

Old 08-26-2012, 11:46 PM
wingnutks
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
This is why tire threads suck, LMAO...
I agree.
However I did have a massive blow out in the rear when I was on the stock tires at 30,000 miles. Almost put me off the highway.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:33 AM
DWCEngland03

I have been surprised to see everyone's negative experiences with the BFG's recently. I have tended to stay away from them as I have found tires that better suit my needs and impact on the wallet. I think I am leaning towards the Toyo Open Country A/T II's. Has anyone seen these tires anywhere other than treaddepot? Even the Toyo website doesn't list them yet.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.treaddepot.com/group/opat2.html

Looks like the last generation O/C tread, with sidewall art... The Toyo OC / OC/II is very similar to Nitto's TerraGrappler... Being Toyo/Nitto are the same company, I'd say go with the best deal of the two.

Last edited by Cthulhu; 08-27-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on tire dilemma