3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Questions for you plasti dippers

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 01:40 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for you plasti dippers

My son is all about blacking out the RAM as it makes its way into his hands over the next year or so. And I've seen the youtube video on dipping an entire vehicle. Don't think I want to go there though. I kind of like the contrast of the silver and the black anyway.

So, we'll probably start with doing all of the emblems and the silver grill inserts. I'm comfortable with that based on the videos. But the more black we apply, I'm sure the more those SS silver step bars are going to stand out. So, with all the dirt and road debri that hits those bars, should plasti dip hold up okay? Or should I try to paint them or just replace them with some that are powder coated?

Also, I had this idea of plasti dipping the raised center section of the hood. Any thoughts on how that might turn out? Would I be able to get a clean edge or is that almost impossible because the tape is probably going to grab and pull some of it off somewhere?

Old 08-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain

If it doesn't hold up it's easy to peel and reshoot. On step bars it tends to peel where you actually step unless its the ones with the plastic pads. For the hood if you peel the tape slowly you should be able to get a decent line. If not just peel it off and try again. Cleaning well beforehand is the key.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain

Oh and don't cheap out on the tape. Quality bodywork masking tape. Preferably the green stuff.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain

Be sure you pull out and away from the plastidip when you peel. Sorry to triple post, no edit option on phone site.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:56 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I did my step bars with plastidip, I have the plastic center portion. It's holding up ok on the step bars except there's a part where I step when loading stuff in the back, there its peeling off. I would probably not reccommend doing plasti-dip on the step bars. I may re-do mine in bedliner. Or you could go one of the other routes you mentioned. As for it peeling off the hood with the tape, it was my experience that once the stuff was dry, which is pretty quick, it sticks to the tape pretty well. If you only did maybe 2 coats and immedietly removed the tape, you may be able to get a nice line. A little while back there was a guy who did stripes down the side of his truck in plasti-dip, so it should be possible. You just cant put like 4-5 coats and let it dry all the way, then you'd be screwed I think. Since you can peel it off, you can always just experiment and see what works.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:14 AM
houseoftoes
Professional

Plati-dipping lines is not as hard as it might seem or look. I did some on the front of mine. Just spray a nice thick coat where the line is at the tape and spray into the body of the area enough so you can take the tape off and finish the inside without having to go close to the line and you should be fine. I was actually thinking of doing this myself this weekend just to see what it looks like. If I end up doing it I will put up some pictures.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:28 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

I have a feeling that, even if it comes out okay at first, after a few washes, we might start to have issues with the edges on the hood. I have a friend that makes custom vinyls. He did an entire wrap for my other buddy's MOPAR drag car. That might be a better option for a black hood stripe.

Anyone know of a paint that would stick, long term, to the step bars? The bars have the plastic pads on them. I rarely use the bars for any reason other than cleaning the top of the truck or cleaning the windshield.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Dead2Fall
Captain

Bedliner. Or theres non-spray version of plastidip... I'm sure you could get a nice thick coat of that on.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Nate_sorenson
Veteran

Originally Posted by 04HemiGreg
I have a feeling that, even if it comes out okay at first, after a few washes, we might start to have issues with the edges on the hood. I have a friend that makes custom vinyls. He did an entire wrap for my other buddy's MOPAR drag car. That might be a better option for a black hood stripe.

Anyone know of a paint that would stick, long term, to the step bars? The bars have the plastic pads on them. I rarely use the bars for any reason other than cleaning the top of the truck or cleaning the windshield.
vinyl is the way to go for longevity on a stripe vs plastidip.
chassis saver will work for your bars, it doesnt even come off if you beat it with a hammer (ive tried)
this thread is humorous to me cuz i just litereally walked in from plasti dipping my emblems

Old 08-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain

Lol, I just did my spears that were starting to discolor

Quick Reply: Questions for you plasti dippers