3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Keep the truck or upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 06:17 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Keep the truck or upgrade

Heres the deal, my 03 hemi just rolled over 120k miles and I already no its basically useless to trade in. The truck is getting older, paint is fading in some areas on top of all the scratches and dents, the cruise control doesn't work, the dash is all cracked, and it has all the normal wear like worn out seat cushions.

What would you guys do, sell it private party for $8-10k and get myself into one of those 4th gen Express trucks or keep it and fix everything which would probably add up to $5k. I would get a paint job and new tires and various other stuff. The new truck would be the equivalent of mine now, hemi 4x4 but with the crew cab.

Im just not too sure about a $400 payment when its not really necessary. It just sucks when I wash the truck and it looks better dirty than it does clean.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:29 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

That's really a decision you need to make. I mean the truck is technically 10 years old since 2013s are out. You need to weigh out the positives of having a new truck vs. the payments and what you can either afford or are willing to pay.

I just went through putting a lot of money in my '02 Grand Cherokee, daily driver, and after doing a new radiator, springs, tires, etc. the thing decided to drop a valve seat and cost me over $2000 to rebuild the engine just to make it driveable and/or sellable. In hindsight it would have been great to dump it before it started having issues but obviously you never know what could come up. I did manage to get $6500 for the thing and bought a new gas sipping 4 banger for a daily driver, but the $2000 I put into the GC to make it run would have been nice to add to the down payment of my new car.

On the flip side, I've seen a couple '03 Hemi trucks with well over 200,000 miles on 'em and they still run strong. So a case can be made for fixing yours up as well.

Maybe a happy medium could be considered too, like looking around for a cherry late 3rd Gen or possibly '09 or '10 4th Gen that would cost considerably less than going for new...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-25-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:58 PM
kenneymc
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup I agree. Making those payments isn't any fun. When I paid mine off 3 yrs ago, I swore I would drive it til the tires fell off. But mine is not a daily driver. Tough decision. Sometimes I want a new one til I add up what the payments and insurance would cost a year versus what my current truck costs a year in maintenance and upkeep. I'm going through cracked dash stuff, just replaced the defroster vent piece with a cap and went on and bought main dash cap just in case it cracks. Been in maintenance mode last year or so. New ball joints, brake pads, shocks, fluid changes, dash, etc. but all that has only cost me roughly 1600.00. (didn't do ballpoints or brakes myself). Started about a year ago. So that equals 4 of those 400 a month payments. Right now can't see doing it personally. But I do understand the want for a new one. Good luck.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:33 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i think you should just keep your truck. there is not really any upside of buying a new truck. its not like you are going to get any better gas mileage. if it is going to cost you $40-$50,000 by the time it is yours you do not really gain much. that money could probably pay for any and all maintenance and parts you would most likely need in your trucks lifetime.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:30 PM
wingnutks
Professional

If your going from 2x4 to 4x4, or 2dr to 4dr, or going from a bare bones truck to a fancy one... I say do it. If your just going for a similar truck just newer I say forget it.
I have an 06 4x4 slt hemi with power windows. Honestly if someone gave me a 1995 Ram with the same options, same condition, same miles... I really wouldnt care too much. Its all the same to me for the way I use the truck.

With that said, I am considering upgrading to a 2500 because I am not a huge fan of the 1500s. If/when I do, it will be the same exact optioned truck I have now, just a 3/4 ton.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:59 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I know I would like a CTD, but I'm not a fan of the 6.7 and all the 5.9s around here are already beat up pretty bad or crazy high mileage - even for a diesel. I almost bought a new one in '04 when I bought my 1500 but I really couldn't justify it since I stopped tourney bass fishing and my trucks have almost never been my daily drivers.

I've had seven full size 4x4s over the thirty-two years I've been driving (all but one bought new) and in all those years I think I've only had to rely on my truck being my daily driver for maybe a two and a half years total.

I pretty much decided after I dropped the first ten grand in my '04 in mods that I was pretty much gonna have to keep it till it pretty much fell apart. On the plus side is that it's still in pretty much mint condition despite some pretty serious use around the farm and in the deep woods hunting and fishing. I'm only barely over 50,000 miles - hell I still have the original brake pads on it...

Old 08-25-2012, 10:20 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain

What about a used vehicle? No insane payment, few years newer, swap what you can and keep the 03 for a fun truck.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:23 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain

Plus, paint job and new tires... You're already looking at a decent pile of cash for a good paint job and relevant body work.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:25 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain

And hammer, why the hell would you stop tourney bass fishing?? Lol.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:04 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would definitely keep what you have or go for an older 4th gen if you want it for the looks and upgraded interior. I originally wanted a 4th gen when they first came out but I wasn't spending my money (parents got my truck as a graduation present) and they weren't going to shell out for a brand new truck (it was 2009 at the time). But I got my 08 for about 21k with all the options of an equivalent 09 for way less. My only regret was not looking for a 4x4 but this was before I knew much about trucks. Moral is work what you got or find something a little older thats in your price range

Btw it's crazy to think tha the 09s are already going to be 4 years old. Where has the time gone! lol

Quick Reply: Keep the truck or upgrade