3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

So I am pulling the trigger....

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 01:25 AM
Bigboytoys
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I am pulling the trigger....

Gonna pull the trigger on getting the 285/70R17 Guard Dogs from Treadwright. Sent them an email yesterday to ask some more questions, especially about shipping to a APO and within 5 minutes had an answer...Talk about fast response! Anyway, the only downside is that it is gonna cost me about 250 in shipping....Intresting to see how these tires hold up in the snow compared to my Kuhmo MTs I had on my old Mazda B2300

Old 08-29-2012, 03:52 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Doesnt sound like much of an apples to apples comparison but good luck with it.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:06 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Hahaha beware of more wear! Those tires look good though but with the added weight of the Dodge they will wear faster!

Old 08-30-2012, 02:22 AM
Bigboytoys
Professional

04Hemi-I liked the Kuhmos but the problem is that they want way too much for them now...(I paid $180 two years ago for 35x12.50s, now they are about $260+ for 33s)
Willdikem-true, but my Kuhmos also had a soft compound, and didn't seem to wear that bad as long as they were rotated properly. I really want to get rid of the current tires as last winter they sucked in the snow (and they were snow rated tires). Our town is one of the last places on earth that get plowed, so I was always getting stuck in our driveway with the old tires...Never had problems with the MTs in deep snow...Worse comes to worse, I am out $800 compared to over 1k in tires...

Old 08-30-2012, 06:50 AM
ZWilson07
Professional

Originally Posted by Bigboytoys
04Hemi-I liked the Kuhmos but the problem is that they want way too much for them now...(I paid $180 two years ago for 35x12.50s, now they are about $260+ for 33s)
Willdikem-true, but my Kuhmos also had a soft compound, and didn't seem to wear that bad as long as they were rotated properly. I really want to get rid of the current tires as last winter they sucked in the snow (and they were snow rated tires). Our town is one of the last places on earth that get plowed, so I was always getting stuck in our driveway with the old tires...Never had problems with the MTs in deep snow...Worse comes to worse, I am out $800 compared to over 1k in tires...

Any reason why you didn't look into the Duratracs so you atleast have best of both worlds for snow and ice? Mine were great.

I totally get wanting to save money but sometimes your paying for quality; interesting to see how well they hold up.

I did google them and they look like they will do really well in the snow and pretty good on ice for an MT. (on a side note what tires do you have now that you said sucked?)

I know people hate having to pay alot of money for tires and I am not looking forward to spending over a grand for 35's on 20 inch wheels but im still going to buy the tires I want and that I will be happy with. People complain that they only get 30-40k miles on MT's, etc etc but honestly thats a good 3 years of driving atleast for me. After that long and with all the new stuff constantly coming out, im going to want something new anyways. Id rather get what I want and be happy the first time but they look like a decent tire fwiw, especially for the horrid name they have lmao!

Old 08-30-2012, 10:29 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Yeh, don't get me wrong, wasn't arguing with your tire choice. But comparing a light rice burner to heavy american metal on 2 different tires, to each other, is not a fair comparison, in my opinion. I've never had Kuhmo truck tires but my experience with their tires has been that they are soft and wear quickly. Unfortunately, all tires have gone up in price dramatically over the past couple of years.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:56 AM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Dont get me started on Kuhmos, I used to have some and i liked them so much a friend went and got them, when they were still cheap. I priced tires for my truck the other day and just walked out of the store.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Bigboytoys
Professional

Ya...Little rice burner...but did you know that the 4 cyl mustang used the same motor? The Mazda was/is basically a rebadged Ford Ranger...But that little 4cyl still was able to turn a 9 inch lifted truck with 35s...and no rear gear change (stock 3.73s)
I had Kuhmos on my mustang and after 6 months needed to replace them...will never do that again...
The Treadwright rep that I talked to said that the Kedge grip prepped tires are a little softer in compound than the non prepped...but she said that she has had both prepped and non prepped on her Excursion and the grip difference was definately noticable in the nasty.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:35 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Haha i knew the Mazda was a Rebadged Ranger, Ranger was my last truck it had 33s with a v6 buddy had v6 a little over 10 in of lift with 35 inch mud rovers never had a problem with power.

She had both prepped and non prepped on one truck?

Old 08-31-2012, 07:59 AM
Bigboytoys
Professional

Ya...that is what she said.

Quick Reply: So I am pulling the trigger....