3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

intake and exhaust mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 10:41 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sabin420
It's not moving the throttle body forward, but the helical cuts in the spacer that I see making the difference in the light throttle, low rpm range.
This worked when fuel was introduced directly at the throttle body (throttle body injection) but kindly explain to me how this could possibly make any difference when fuel is introduced via a fuel rail???

Old 09-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know its gonna be the "spinning air" explanation hammer lol.

This will cause spinning air too, would you put it in your truck?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=94384851003

Old 09-10-2012, 10:58 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing that cost 9 dollars is gonna give you 6-8 MPGs. It's a load of crock

Old 09-10-2012, 11:01 PM
sabin420
Captain

Next time I put my truck on a dyno, I'll tell you the results on vs. off. Like I said before, I do notice a difference during LIGHT THROTTLE at LOW RPM with it on vs. off. That's all. If anything, it helps torque and not HP. Those are two different things that really aren't related. Those large diesel motors in the semi's, probably make less HP than an old honda, but put out more torque than most race cars.

Key words...LIGHT THROTTLE and LOW RPM.

oh, and a slight MPG increase...like .2mpg but that could be due to the cleaning of the throttle body when I installed it. I'm not saying it works for performance, but I'm not saying it's garbage either. Besides, It matches the color of my truck and was one of the cheapest "performance" part you can buy for the truck. If you search hard enough you can find one for under $50.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:03 PM
sabin420
Captain

those spinny things work very good for late 80's early 90's Japanese 4 cylinders. that's all.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:15 PM
sabin420
Captain

Basically these people are saying one brand might not work with another's cold air intake and might hurt it. So basically if you do want to get one, get one with a cold air intake kit that matches. (Same brand)

What Is a Throttle Body Spacer?

A throttle body spacer is an addition to a throttle that works with the air intake system to deliver more air into the engine and thus increase performance. In older carburetor style engine setups, according to some auto experts who have been around for a while, the throttle body spacer was used to manipulate the air in a way that affected how the fuel was mixed. These days, a throttle body spacer will generally affect the air intake in fuel injected vehicles. It will help get more air into the engine for enhanced combustion.

A Throttle Body Spacer and Engine Performance

Through adding to the rush of air into the engine, a throttle body spacer can increase performance in a vehicle. Shops who routinely install these aftermarket additions have reported up to 18 horsepower gains in some vehicle types or up to a 25 foot-pound gain in torque. These kinds of gains can be detailed for a specific vehicle using manufacturer specifications.

Considerations for Adding an Aftermarket Throttle Body Spacer to a Vehicle

Although most throttle body spacers are generally guaranteed to be street legal, check with the manufacturer to get specific approvals for this engine add-on. Many of the throttle body spacers on the market are also approved by the CARB (California Air Resource Board) to be emissions legal in the state of California according to emissions controls.

Vehicle owners looking into the legality of adding aftermarket parts will find they enjoy some rights under the law for customizing a vehicle without compromising an existing engine warranty. Make sure your throttle body spacer addition or any other customizing will not void a warranty by looking at the specific conditions of that warranty before installing your aftermarket parts.

<bold>An aftermarket throttle body spacer needs to be compatible with the cold air intake for a vehicle, since its role is to facilitate air inflow.<bold> If you have an aftermarket cold air intake installed, make sure that the throttle body spacer is compatible before buying.

With the appropriate considerations, it shouldn't be a problem to find a throttle body spacer that will boost engine performance without compromising the integrity of the fuel injection system. For those who like engine "modding," this can be a worthwhile project, and one that helps the car owner discover more about how the engine system works. Be sure to take all precautions, including turning off systems and avoiding contact with the engine fan, when working on your vehicle. Never work under an unsupported vehicle and always seek clarification from the owner's manual regarding safety.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:22 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain

They are trying to sell it to you, of course they will say that. It does not give you more air intake. It's impossible. Whatever comes in through the filter is what's coming in. The spacer will not effect this (other than the possibility its leaking because it actually adds another place for a possible leak)

Old 09-10-2012, 11:39 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sabin420
Basically these people are saying one brand might not work with another's cold air intake and might hurt it. So basically if you do want to get one, get one with a cold air intake kit that matches. (Same brand)

What Is a Throttle Body Spacer?

A throttle body spacer is an addition to a throttle that works with the air intake system to deliver more air into the engine and thus increase performance. In older carburetor style engine setups, according to some auto experts who have been around for a while, the throttle body spacer was used to manipulate the air in a way that affected how the fuel was mixed. These days, a throttle body spacer will generally affect the air intake in fuel injected vehicles. It will help get more air into the engine for enhanced combustion.

A Throttle Body Spacer and Engine Performance

Through adding to the rush of air into the engine, a throttle body spacer can increase performance in a vehicle. Shops who routinely install these aftermarket additions have reported up to 18 horsepower gains in some vehicle types or up to a 25 foot-pound gain in torque. These kinds of gains can be detailed for a specific vehicle using manufacturer specifications.

Considerations for Adding an Aftermarket Throttle Body Spacer to a Vehicle

Although most throttle body spacers are generally guaranteed to be street legal, check with the manufacturer to get specific approvals for this engine add-on. Many of the throttle body spacers on the market are also approved by the CARB (California Air Resource Board) to be emissions legal in the state of California according to emissions controls.

Vehicle owners looking into the legality of adding aftermarket parts will find they enjoy some rights under the law for customizing a vehicle without compromising an existing engine warranty. Make sure your throttle body spacer addition or any other customizing will not void a warranty by looking at the specific conditions of that warranty before installing your aftermarket parts.

<bold>An aftermarket throttle body spacer needs to be compatible with the cold air intake for a vehicle, since its role is to facilitate air inflow.<bold> If you have an aftermarket cold air intake installed, make sure that the throttle body spacer is compatible before buying.

With the appropriate considerations, it shouldn't be a problem to find a throttle body spacer that will boost engine performance without compromising the integrity of the fuel injection system. For those who like engine "modding," this can be a worthwhile project, and one that helps the car owner discover more about how the engine system works. Be sure to take all precautions, including turning off systems and avoiding contact with the engine fan, when working on your vehicle. Never work under an unsupported vehicle and always seek clarification from the owner's manual regarding safety.
This looks to me like a "cut and paste" from an ad.

I've worked at performance shops, I've run dynos with throttle body spacers through the years. First of all - carburetor engines do not have a throttle body, so how does a throttle body spacer go on one?

These things added modest gains on TBI engines which were the first generations of intakes that replaced carbs. The atomization of air molecules where the fuel was introduced gave a better mix of air/fuel and burned more rapidly inside the cylinder.

However, as injection systems evolved, fuel started being injected directly into each individual cylinder, long after any air passed through the throttle body and after the manifold, where any swirling of the air is stopped via vacuum inside the manifold.

From a scientific standpoint, throttle body spacers have NO effect in modern injection systems that deliver fuel along a fuel rail to injectors that are positioned at each cylinder.

However, they don't hurt anything and if you want a nice, shiny, color-matching anodized aluminum spacer under the hood to dress things up a bit - far be it from me to condemn it. It's your money and your truck - put whatever you want in it - but don't for one minute think you are getting performance or MPG benefits from it, because you're not...

Old 09-11-2012, 12:42 AM
SLT8
Record Breaker

Tbs kicked in y0

Last edited by SLT8; 09-11-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:43 AM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SLT8
Tbs kicked in y0
^^^HAHAHAHA! Best thing I've heard in awhile!

Quick Reply: intake and exhaust mods