3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Intake systems

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 07:38 AM
Jackstep0832
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake systems

Hey all, i have an 07 hemi 1500 4x4.

Just seeing everyones thoughts on intakes and if they are worth it. Ive been looking into the k&n air intake and they seem nice, i also noticed mopar makes one but it seems the same except your gonna pay a ton more. Also ive read about oiled filters for them and dry filters...is there really any difference between the two besides the maintence on them???Im not really worried about mpg or HP gain, ive heard it should give you slightly better numbers, but i want it more for sound. i have flowmaster super 44 muffler with 4 inch tips and from what ive been told intakes will make the truck sound better....any info would be great....only thing im really concerned about that i have heard is this could throw you check engine light...im assuming it would only do that if installed incorrectly.

Last edited by Jackstep0832; 11-24-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:43 AM
nozmadd0x
Veteran

Haven't heard of an intake causing a check engine light, so long as the intake brings in enough air you shouldn't have an issue. I know when I installed mine there was not a mass air flow sensor in the engine bay I had to worry about, the 07 might though. I have the Super 44s also and the only sound I noticed when I installed my t-pipe cai (cold air intake) was the sound of air being sucked into the engine bay, did not notice any deeper of a growl or any different exhaust tone; which is what I'm assuming you're looking for. For a better exhaust note, look into headers. Those will cost you a bit more but you will hear a difference in the exhaust opposed to the cai. I know you said you aren't too interested in mpg or hp gains but it is a good idea to upgrade the whole system if you're going to do it. Upgraded exhaust lets the air exit more quickly so you should have a cai bringing in more air and improved headers to move it out of the engine bay back thru the exhaust. But, to answer your original question, I never noticed a difference in exhaust note with either the K&N or a t-pipe intake though a friend of mine upgraded his headers and you could hear a difference. Hope that helps somewhat.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Jackstep0832
Amateur

ya thats what i wondered with the exhaust, as you know the 44's are louder then the 50s that most people throw on so i wasnt even sure if it would have much difference in sound...ive heard rams with nothing done but intake and they do sound nice for just an intake when your on the gas. I guess if im looking for small mpg increase and a few more HP than this would be a quick and easy upgrade though....my buddy has a k&n and he use to clean it but he said its a hassle for him so he just buys new filters whenever he needs a new one...i would imagine its not that big of a hassle unless you get lazy.

Last edited by Jackstep0832; 11-24-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:49 AM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's cheaper and just as effective to build your own CAI. Ewing on here has a good writeup of a good design. As for cleaning the filter it's only a hassle if you get lazy like you said. Would you rather pay 40-50 bucks every 3000 miles (which is when you should clean the filter) or about 15 bucks for a cleaning kit that gives you 2-3 cleanings? I clean mine with the K&N recharge kit and it still works like brand new

Old 11-24-2012, 02:49 PM
nozmadd0x
Veteran

I did the exhaust first so I wouldn't be able to say what the sound difference is. I do know when I had the K&N filter you could not hear the air being pulled in as well as you can with my t-pipe with two cone filters. Only difference is some people believe having the cai on top of the engine is bad because it sucks in too much hot air, I really did not notice much of a difference between the K&N and my t-pipe power wise, gas mileage wise, or anything else except sound and I personally think the t-pipe looks much better in the engine bay. Plus it frees up the side for a second battery!

Old 11-24-2012, 02:54 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My intake makes a helluva lot of noise anywhere above 2500 RPM and it's a DIY CAI with a K&N filter

Old 11-24-2012, 08:21 PM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a homemade cai that 08 hemi was talking about, here's the thread
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...inor-mods.html

If you wanna do your own, I think that is a great way to go. I noticed a big difference in the sound after I put mine on, it really growls when you get into the gas. I think for what you are looking for, a cai will do nicely. If you're handy (even a little) or like doing your own work then the diy route will be fun and satisfying. Good luck either way.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:48 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

This is one I made for my truck and I had made a few for other guys too. Mine has a S&B on the end of it

Old 01-17-2014, 10:55 PM
gib_son911

get a vararam! u get sick power gains and are not bs. over 20 horse eaisly!!! truck has a waaay deeper rumble idling and screams louder at high rpm. intake costed me 400 with shipping from the bottom of texas to canada:P

Last edited by gib_son911; 01-17-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:49 PM
Blacksport
Captain

THAT is what I want to get!!! Soon my pretties.....

Quick Reply: Intake systems