3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

best rust remover?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 04:07 AM
swamper
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best rust remover?

what the best rust remover for under the truck? for the ,frame leaf springs etc my truck got some rust that I don't like I need to try and remove>?I was reading about evapo rust remover is this stuff any good at all?does it come in a spray bottle?I know about por 15 but that's a 3 part thing.Is there anything at all I can buy and spray on and the rust will come off a lot?.Not really shure if there is or not but I figure I would ask.any parts stores sell anything worth while like auto zone or advanced,i know I may have to do some sanding also.but something in spray bottle would work well for tight spots thanks

Last edited by swamper; 01-18-2014 at 04:11 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:59 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Elbow grease

Old 01-18-2014, 06:09 AM
swamper
Veteran

funny but im looking for real answers.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:14 AM
abarmby
Champion

Sorry bud......couldn't resist
Seriously, you can't beat getting it over a pit, wire brushing it down with a rotary wheel, then using some kind of a rust preventive on it.
Al.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:07 PM
mrbb1
Professional

I agree, nothing in a spray on will remove rust really, or for sure stop it
rust is moisture in the metal getting out more or less
once it starts, its a on going deal
a grinder or wire wheel, is the best bet, and then after that, treat it with something like POR-15
and hope for the ebst
POR-15 is pretty great stuff, but it comes down to the prep work, better you do it, better it comes out and lasts
I did a pretty rusty frame a few yrs back, took my time, and its still looking great
this stuff dry's hard like a powder coat too, so very durable
don't get it on your hands , a SOB to get off anything you don't want it on if you do!
but do recommend it

Old 01-18-2014, 06:07 PM
mrbb1
Professional

a sand blaster works wel too, and an be faster, but be safe about any rubber hose's or like parts that can be damaged, same goes for a wire wheel and dor grinder!

Old 01-18-2014, 06:27 PM
chuck_hammer
Veteran

rust is bad, and Must be removed... grinding, sanding, wire wheel.. or replace...

cannot stop rust, only slow it down. ask the U.S. Navy. aka salt water. aka Ohio winter road salt.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:43 PM
rought
Professional

Any acid will eat rust but the stronger the acid the better. Problem is after you treat the rust the acid will have cleaned the metal so good it will rust very easily.So if you do, then you must paint the metal after, plus acid in not good for the rubber.
And it will pit aluminum..
If it comes out of a spray bottle then It most likely is not a very strong acid or it would eat the seals in the sprayer after time. It should come in a plastic container to be transferred to a sprayer which should be cleaned after usage. Sanding off rust from an undercarriage is not really practical unless our in prison and have nothing better to do.
I did paint and body for 15 years.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:15 PM
swamper
Veteran

so if i use por 15 do i have to sand the rust off some what first?then apply it?its pretty cold out here i may have to wait to do it tillth espring its about 35 out and next week is going to be in the teens im guessing ill ahve till wait till the spring time.I saw this guy on youtube use vinger and water and let it sit for hours and it got the rust all off.i was thinking of using a paint brush and some type of rust remover and let it sit over night when the weather gets warm here.I also found this stuff called Metal Rescue Rust remover but everything is a bath thats why i was thinking ill pout it in a spray bottle or use a brush with this stuff on the frame its worth a try.here in connecticut where i live they salt the winter roads and use this other stuff and it rusts all the cars and truck out under them.I bought the truck used so i guess the guy before me didnt wash it enough but im going to try and remove it as best i can.

Last edited by swamper; 01-18-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:09 PM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with rought. You will have to coat your bare metal with something. That something will not be able to be sprayed in cold weather. Why the heck do you want to do this anyway!!! It will rust again!! Do what you want, but this seems like a ridiculous endeavor.

Quick Reply: best rust remover?