3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

looking at buying used 3rd gen

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 02:05 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thier are a lot of happy Ram owners for sure, my issues with my truck were not caused by me, dodge built my truck and dodge design led to my drag link seperation...

I don't want any one to expierance this on the road, If any of my loved ones were hurt by a Ram 2500 driver, A ford driver, ect ect, who threw no fault of his or her own lost stearing control from a faulty drag link, ya, not going to be good.

Op asked a legit question pertaing to the identical truck (less two years than mine, but drivetrain componants, stearing componats are identical, 08 may have a T style drag link thats been recalled) and I responed based on my expierances with my Ram 2500.

I HINTED that if the ball joints, U joints were still oem non servicable items, repairs could be expensive and The aftermarket is awsome for cleaning up not so good factery Ram 2500 componats.

No where in any of posts from day one I have trashed the hemi engine, its pretty much the only reason I still put my money into this truck.

Im going to eat a cookie!!!

Last edited by cyclone429; 12-02-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:48 PM
mj23polaris
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on the topic of dodges falling apart, yea i know the trans suck and every front end part takes a **** in 50k miles, but i dont care bc i know what parts go bad and what it takes to address the issues, my post i guess was more pointed at the hemi and how long they last.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:13 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

No one really can say how long a hemi will last on a used or new truck. IT all comes down to how this truck was maintained, your level of comitment to stay with this truck and if you have realistic expectations on what this truck will do for you.

I love the hemi, never had anny issues with mine, if your with in dodges peramiters in cargo ratting and your up on the mainatnce, ( I use syn oil. Run true dual ex, and the higest octane i can find when towing) you should have no problem pulling anothier 100,000 miles out of a hemi.

Run at least 89, if the person before usesd reg flue, it could casue issues with clogging up the trottle body and othier issues that have been reported on this fourm..

_

Old 12-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

[quote=cyclone429;2918800]No one really can say how long a hemi will last on a used or new truck. IT all comes down to how this truck was maintained, your level of comitment to stay with this truck and if you have realistic expectations on what this truck will do for you.

I love the hemi, never had anny issues with mine, if your with in dodges peramiters in cargo ratting and your up on the mainatnce, ( I use syn oil. Run true dual ex, and the higest octane i can find when towing) you should have no problem pulling anothier 100,000 miles out of a hemi.

Run at least 89, if the person before usesd reg flue, it could casue issues with clogging up the trottle body and othier issues that have been reported on this fourm..

The last paragraph of this post makes absolutely no sense. Octane rating has no relevance as to how clean a fuel is or how clean it burns. A hemi in a good state of tune can burn 87 just fine

Old 12-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Jareski
Veteran

Originally Posted by Old Man with a hemi
The last paragraph of this post makes absolutely no sense. Octane rating has no relevance as to how clean a fuel is or how clean it burns. A hemi in a good state of tune can burn 87 just fine
It makes perfect sense. What's the point of 89 and 91 octane then, in your own words?

Old 12-05-2012, 05:15 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea if you ran a Hemi with 87 and a Hemi with 89 in exact conditions with the same maintenance the 89 octane Hemi would last longer and run better. Fuel plays a big role with these engines just like spark plugs

Old 12-05-2012, 06:36 PM
stewie01
Legend

Any word from the bank?

Old 12-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by Jareski
It makes perfect sense. What's the point of 89 and 91 octane then, in your own words?

Fuel wth a higher octane rating will not pre detonate like a fuel with a lower rating, but higher octane fuels are not needed in engines designed to run on lower octane fuels. Neither one has anything to do with the cleanliness of a throttle body, especially multi port fuel injection that come on hemis, since all that passes through the throttle body is air. Like I said, I have an 06 Ram with the Hemi and it has run just fine on 87 octane fuel for over 106,000 miles, and has never knocked, so those of you who want to waste your money running the higher octane fuels and changing plugs every 30,000 miles,or want to blame 87 octane for a dirty throttle body have at it, but don't pass on this ridiculous notion that a hemi wont run good or last a long time just because it runs 87 octane. You'll never be able to prove it to me. If your Hemi wont run on 87 octane, you have a tuning issue not an octane issue

Old 12-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by 08HEMI1500
Yea if you ran a Hemi with 87 and a Hemi with 89 in exact conditions with the same maintenance the 89 octane Hemi would last longer and run better. Fuel plays a big role with these engines just like spark plugs

08, this is also a ridiculous statement, so tell us all why this 89 octane hemi you talk about is going to last longer and run better than one run on 87 when the factory says 87 is acceptable. Fuel and spark plugs play no bigger role in the operation of a hemi than it plays in the operation of any combustion engine. The only way an engine is not going to last as long as another is if you use fuel that has too low of an octane rating. My year hemi states in my owners manual that 87 is acceptable, so using anything else, if the engine runs well on 87 is just a waste of money, and my 106,000 miles proves it.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:22 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My book says 89 minimum so you can take that one and shove it where the sun don't shine sir. Dodge clearly realized that using 87 was causing problems with the 5.7 so to cover their asses they changed the manual to say a minimum of 89 was needed so that way if someone's engine failed due to the use of 87 (which there were) they couldn't be held responsible to cover it under a warranty.

*A separate topic but spark plugs play a HUGE role in the 5.7 because it's just a solid well known fact that if you don't want to chance any issues then you use the copper plugs over nickel, iridium or platinums. I don't give 2 sh*ts if your engine is running fine on 87 and non copper plugs but I'm not going to let you tell people its ok and then have them run the risk of engine failure.

And don't bother bringing up your "years of experience" it's played out

Quick Reply: looking at buying used 3rd gen