3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

looking at buying used 3rd gen

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 10:15 PM
mj23polaris
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at buying used 3rd gen

ok so i want the low down on what to look for in theses trucks with 70k-132,147mi? looking at 04+ 2500s

this one is 20mins from me, im gonna go look tmrw at it, its just the miles scare me
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ST-4X...ht_11302wt_958

Last edited by mj23polaris; 11-29-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:45 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I find it strange that a 2500 doesn't have a tow package for one and instead has an uncentered bumper ball which would concern me. The price is really low for a 2500 4x4 but I suppose it's because its gas and has so many miles. I'm sure it's seen some work.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:56 PM
mj23polaris
Professional

build sheet
*P9 Cloth 40/20/40 Split Bench Seat
-D5 Med Slate Gray
ADB Protection Group
ALW Popular Equipment Group
APAS Monotone Paint
BAZS 136 Amp Alternator
BCES 600 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
BRTS Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Brakes
CBEP 40/20/40 Split Bench Seat
CGDS Front Height Adjust Shoulder Belts
CGZS Passenger Air Bag On/Off Switch
CG1S Next Gen Multistage Front Air Bags**
CKJS Black Vinyl Floor Covering
CSPS Passenger Assist Handle
CUMP Mini Floor Console
CU3S Behind the Seat Storage / Bin
DGQ 5-Spd Automatic 545RFE Transmission
DH1S Man Shift-on-the-Fly Transfer Case
DJQS 5,200# Front Axle
DMES 3.73 Rear Axle Ratio
DRWS 10.50 Rear Axle
DSA Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle
EZA 5.7L V8 HEMI Engine
GACS Tinted Glass Windows
GJDS Rear Fixed Window
GNAS Rear View Day/Night Mirror
GPUS Manual 6 x 9 Black Mirrors
GVAC All Vehicles W/O Power Mirrors
GXXS Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System
HAAS Air Conditioning
HGBS Dash Liner Insulation
HGFS Floor Tunnel Insulation
JAYS Instrument Cluster w/Tach
JBFS Instrument Panel Black Bezel
JCBS 120 MPH Primary Speedometer
JE8S Manual Door Locks
JF8S Manual Windows
JHAS Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
JJAS Cigar Lighter
JJBS Dual Note Electric Horns
JJJS 12V Auxiliary Power Outlet
JKYS Power Accessory Delay
JP8S Manual Adjust Seats
LABS Tire Pressure Monitoring Warning LP
LMAS Halogen Headlamps
LPES Cargo Lamp
MBZS Dark Gray Rear Bumper w/Step Pads
MCCS Dark Gray Front Fascia
MCLS Gray Upper Fascia
MFVS Argent Grille
MGAS Ram's Head Badge
MUSS 4X4 Badge
MXBS Front Air Dam
MXCP Front Bumper Sight Shields
NAS 50 State Emissions
NFVS 35 Gallon Fuel Tank
NHBP Auxiliary Transmission Oil Cooler
NHMP Speed Control
NHNP Electronically Controlled Throttle
NMCS Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
NZDP Next Generation Engine Controller
PB7 Patriot Blue Pearl Coat
QB7S Patriot Blue Pearl Coat
RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles
RCDS 4 Speakers
RDDP Fixed Long Mast Antenna
REFS AM/FM Compact Disc Radio
SBES Power Steering
SCFS 4-Spoke Steering Wheel
SFBS Front Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers
SGBS Rear Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers
SHAS Front Stabilizer Bar
SUAS Tilt Steering Column
TBBS Full Size Spare Tire
TBMS Tire Carrier Winch
TWEP LT245/70R17E BSW On/Off Rd Tires
TZGP BF Goodrich Brand Tires
WD2S 17X7.5 Steel Styled Wheels
WF1S 17" Steel Spare Wheel
WLYC All Steel Wheels
WMJP Center Hub
XA8S Non Adjustable Pedals
XBNP Tip Start
XBSS Pickup Box
XEAP Tow Hooks
XEFP Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield
XFUS Trailer Tow w/4-Pin Connector Wiring
XGWP Stain Repel Seat Fabric
X88S Tire & Wheel Parts Module
YAAS Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications
YEP Manuf Statement of Origin

im gonna go test drive it tmrw, real thing im worried about is trans and steering, i like that its got posi rear, dont like 3.73s.....

hope everything goes well trucks just wat im looking for

Old 11-30-2012, 05:02 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the engine runs sound and everything seems to be in good shape, it should be fine.

Hell, I know somebody with an 08 Hemi that already had 95k mi on it...and that was in 2011!

Old 11-30-2012, 05:44 PM
mj23polaris
Professional

test drove it, got a bad u joint in rear its gonna get fixed, but other than that for 130K miles it dosnt look it, under the hood looks brand new, frame is still all black not even surface rust, think it has a 2-3in lift, coil spacer in front and new block in rear, goes straight down the road with hands off wheel, waiting on bank

Old 11-30-2012, 07:17 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Of all the HD trucks made, Dodge is thea joke in the industry, I bought my 06 2500 new and I will start with the best things dodge has to offer and the repairs that are going to hit you!!

Hemi is great engine, 16 spark plugs are a Challenge to justy (oem chep coppers that have a verry short life) but I can live with that, Power is more than you need for a work truck as long as your not expecting CTD power and your perepared for flue expenses..

NON SERVICABLE is dodges whay of rewarding your investment in the brand, from upper and lower ball joints, Bad tie rods (draglink, bad ball and socket joints ) to NON SERVICABLE front U joints, TO the Drive shaft u joints...

IF thease items are replaced and you can service them, your getting a dependable truck, if not Invest in depends and pay up your life insurance, as Dodge has done a great marketing ploy to hide thier flaws ..

MY 2006 SLT Ram 2500 4wd is dam near identicaL I factery orderd with fog lights, cab marker lights and topper, rer slider, dail shift 4x4 373 ltd slip, tow package, ect 6sp man, but its the same animal!

I do have a rough country dual stearing stabilzer on the truck, awsome investment and now the red car is all white and the blue truck is all white due to snow!!!

Last edited by cyclone429; 04-07-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:09 PM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like a sweet truck. If'n I was going for a 2500 I would be trying for a CTD but th extra $$ is a bit hard to justify I suppose.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:11 AM
Jareski
Veteran

Originally Posted by cyclone429
Of all the HD trucks made, Dodge is thea joke in the industry, I bought my 06 2500 new and I will start with the best things dodge has to offer and the repairs that are going to hit you!!

Hemi is great engine, 16 spark plugs are a Challenge to justy (oem chep coppers that have a verry short life) but I can live with that, Power is more than you need for a work truck as long as your not expecting CTD power and your perepared for flue expenses..

NON SERVICABLE is dodges whay of rewarding your investment in the brand, from upper and lower ball joints, Bad tie rods (draglink, bad ball and socket joints ) to NON SERVICABLE front U joints, TO the Drive shaft u joints...

IF thease items are replaced and you can service them, your getting a dependable truck, if not Invest in depends and pay up your life insurance, as Dodge has done a great marketing ploy to hide thier flaws ..

MY 2006 SLT Ram 2500 4wd is dam near identicaL I factery orderd with fog lights, cab marker lights and topper, rer slider, dail shift 4x4 373 ltd slip, tow package, ect 6sp man, but its the same animal!

I do have a rough country dual stearing stabilzer on the truck, awsome investment and now the red car is all white and the blue truck is all white due to snow!!!
All I have to say is, you should have done your homework before buying.

Seriously, is anyone else noticing the influx of these trolls on our lovely boards?

Old 12-01-2012, 02:35 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been on this fourm since march 2006, I researched the 2500 Ram here, as I heard abought how great the 1500 rams were, or are, or aspire to be.

If telling it like it is makes me a troll, Than im a happy troll offering real life expireances on the truck I own, Which by the way is a typical dodge 2500 that has a history of solid axle front end issues...

Go hug your mopar blankie, or stop and look under my user name at the pic of my drag link that fell off my truck, ie I lost all steering control ....

If any buyer wants a used 2500 Ram, be prepared to buy it all over again in parts and repairs, if you want a New 2012 HD truck, be prepeared to buy it all over again after the warenty parts fail...

But you don't get to pay for the reapirs on othier people trucks, so eat a cookie!!!!

Old 12-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Jareski
Veteran

Originally Posted by cyclone429
I have been on this fourm since march 2006, I researched the 2500 Ram here, as I heard abought how great the 1500 rams were, or are, or aspire to be.

If telling it like it is makes me a troll, Than im a happy troll offering real life expireances on the truck I own, Which by the way is a typical dodge 2500 that has a history of solid axle front end issues...

Go hug your mopar blankie, or stop and look under my user name at the pic of my drag link that fell off my truck, ie I lost all steering control ....

If any buyer wants a used 2500 Ram, be prepared to buy it all over again in parts and repairs, if you want a New 2012 HD truck, be prepeared to buy it all over again after the warenty parts fail...

But you don't get to pay for the reapirs on othier people trucks, so eat a cookie!!!!
So your truck's problems = all Dodge problems?

Which is what you said. Just summarizing.

I accept that some people are unhappy with their investment, but can you accept that some people are happy?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: looking at buying used 3rd gen