3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Towing help

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 10:17 AM
humdrum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, just found this tread and also have a 4.7 quad but with a 5 sp manual. book shows a 4500 max tow capacity. could I increase this to atleast 6000? looking at a longer travel trailer.
rear ratio, trans upgrade, etc.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:05 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I repeat - NOTHING you can do will change the towing capacity. 4,500# sounds low, though.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:49 AM
humdrum

There is always something you can do with the right knowledge. dodge stats that changing the gear ratio gives 500, swapping out the manual with a auto trans gives 1000 or so. just wondering if anyone has rebuilt the truck around towing capacity?

Old 04-12-2013, 10:03 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

There may be some things you can do - the question is does it make sense, financially, vs. just selling/trading for what you want or need. You can't just bolt on stuff to an existing truck and get any significant towing gains from it. Take the truck apart and essentially turn it into another truck, yeh you can probably do something. I'm just not sure how you would do it reliably and it make sense financially.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:00 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your stamped towing capacity is stamped in your doorjam.. it is based off of several factors... it is a guide...

your axles can only handle so much weight.. it will show that weight.. you can't change this..

your tires can only handle so much weight- the OE tire rating will be shown on the sticker- the current sidewall is more important...

tongue weight is rated, but only so far as the weight placed on the rear axle.. a distribution hitch will alter that geometry, and you can run a bit more in a pinch, but not to the point you exceed either axles rating..

the absolute thing that CANNOT be manipulated, is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.. you cannot surpass that weight, period.. Mr. Po Po is only concerned with it.. and this is what he is using as a measure when he puts scales under each tire (including the trailer) and adds them up..

your passengers, your on-board fuel, your 20oz of Mt Dew in the cup-holder all count into GVWR, and is what authorities are interested in..

can you alter the tow rating?

yes....

you can reduce weight of the tow vehicle by doing such things that dramatically reducing weight... pull the bed off and weigh it- add that to your tow rating.. empty that Mt. Dew.. add that to the tow rating.. Leave the dog and the kids behind- add that to the tow rating..

don't exceed per axle weight limits, or limits of the tire under whatever axle.. don't exceed gross vehicle weight ratings (GVWR).. you're not going to add much by dropping the tow vehicle's curb weight, but if you're pressing the limits, it may be the difference in a stiff fine and/or court date, or clean getaway..

Old 04-12-2013, 03:54 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

How about if I drink diet Mountain Dew instead of regular? LOL!

I have been towing rv's around long enough to have about seen it all as it relates to people exceeding tow limits. I have seen 10k lb 5th wheels hooked into beds of half ton rams with the bumper almost dragging the ground, I have seen people pulling full size trailers on bumper ball hitches, etc. They just haven't broken anything yet or been caught. I have a friend that camps in the summer at the lake where we tak our rv. He has about a three hour tow and for 3 years straight now he has gotten away with pulling a 30' rv behind a power stroke with a cargo trailer hitched to the rv with a golf cart on it. Not legal at all in this state.

People do and get away with all kinds of crazy stupid chit but sooner or later it catches up with you. No airbag or bolt on trailer hitch is going to add capacity to a tow vehicle. Truck not rated to tow what you want? Time for a new truck. As they say - gotta pay to play.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:24 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hear ya... It's crazy what people try to do, and then blame the machine..

Re: rec vehicles.. most states have a waiver for rv's and towing capacity, as long as it is reasonable.. there is no waiver for toy haulers.. there is zero wiggle room for any commercial towing.. if you've got weighted plates and exceed, you're toast.. hauling a car behind you, you better be in limits or Mr. Dmv is gonna get you.. but expressly for non-commercial rv hauling, there is a waiver... Speaking mechanically, though, you're a fool, and just one of thousands, if you exceed the safety margin advised and then rated by manufacturers..

While we're splitting hairs, though, a person should always allow a ten percent margin east and west of the Rockies, and twenty percent in the Rockies.. that percentage should be below the gvwr..

Quick Reply: Towing help